Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (190)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sorry, HB, just looked again and I think you're right. Pretty anyway. Still trying to get acquainted with the new format and small print.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,214
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Silk is number one in my book......one less problem!

Ron

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ron, how nice of the lady to bring you and Lou flowers and chocolates!

Sara, it's great you found the local growing source. I have friends whose son does hydroponics in his basement. He only grows enough for his family's use. I would love to see his set-up.

Grass is greening up, daffodils are blooming; spring is here! What a joy!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023
    My grass is greening too. Most of the neighbors have mowed. My LMG’s haven’t showed up yet. They won’t mow til it gets a bit tall. They are conscientious about not mowing til needed. My daffodil buds are getting fatter so hopefully will bloom soon. mine is a different variety.
    Beth it would be interesting to see the hydroponic setup. I saw one years ago at Epcot in Florida. I’m too old to start doing it though. I’m so enjoying not starting plants this year.
    The guy came and gave me an estimate and it is a good price. I can get everything done that I want done. Now I wish I wasn’t getting a second estimate Wednesday.
    The lady I bought from had a lot of irises around the trees. May save a few by putting them around peonies, will see. Will try to save the hostas and put them in the back North corner. I need something there.

• SQBEAR50
    SQBEAR50 Member Posts: 104
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi all,

I posted a few days ago, but I think my short post got "lost" due to everyone talking about the changes to the site.

So again, I say "hello all" 😁

Nicole

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Nicole,

It is nice hearing from you. Yes, as you can see there has been some challenges with this new site. Especially for me I am not a computer person so it's taking me a while to get things figured out. I am learning by just watching what everyone else has been doing. I wish they (alz) had left well enough alone.

Ron, Those flowers are beautiful, what a sweet lady to get flowers and chocolates for Lou.

I have been on a avocado hunt today. I had 2 laying on the counter ripening up and my cats Sammy and Emmy found them sometime during the night I finally found them one was under the bed the other was under the microwave.

Take care all Hugs Zetta

• Lorita

Hi Nicole,good to see yourr post. How have things been with you? Are you back in California?

• Lorita

Zetta, were the avocados still good? Your cats sound like mine - always into something. I can be in the LR or BR and I hear thing falling in the kitchen. But, wouldn't take anything for any of them.

About the eagles - is either of them coming back to the nest? Guess there may not be any more eggs this season. Also checked in on the nest at Decorah. Beth, is there only one little eagle? That's all I could see. Worried that the little guy who was having so much trouble getting out of his egg may have not made it. When I was watching the mom had been sitting on the nest and just got up - camera angle was a little off so didn't see more than one. Also checked in on Dale Hollow - didn't see any eagles but in the chat box it sounded like the mother eagle was no longer there - like something had happened to her. Sad news all around.

There are really some things that need to be changed in the new format - like having to adjust bold and font size when you start a new paragraph. Zetta, I don't know anything much about computers - just muddle through and it hasn't been that easy.

Beautiful day here - in the 70s, sunny and calm but there are severe storms west of here - not sure they'll make it this far east. It's just now getting dry enough to put down fertilizer so we could wait a while for more rain.

Took down my trash this morning at 7 a.m. Darwin came just after noon with some cookies he'd made and he said the trash was still down there. Called the company and they said the driver said he came by at 6:30 and it wasn't out. They keep changing drivers and the time keeps changing. That's too early so not sure what to do. Can't take it down the night before because the coyotes and wolves would have it scattered everywhere. I think I have a couple of barrels in one of the corn cribes so might take one of them down to put the trash in. They will furnish one of those containers people have in town but they charge $75 to bring it out. Seems like there's always something to keep things stirred up.

I agree, Zetta, I thought the forum was just fine as it was but no one asked us, did they? Will stop for now and watch Jeopardy. Enjoy the evening. See you all tomorrow.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Tree work is very expensive. Over the weekend my "slowly dying" crab apple starter to fall. It is now resting gently on my roof,

Lorita....check your insurance... it likely does not include roof damage. Have your old trees thinnedout so that wind does not topple them

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita. Yes, the avocados were still good, they were still firm, so no damage was done. My cats sleep during the day and play at night so I do try to be careful with what I leave out, but I never thought they would go after avocados.

Jackie and Shadow have been in and out of the nest a lot, I was hoping she would lay some eggs on Saturday she spent a lot of time in the nest. But so far nothing, so all the chatters are saying there probably will not be any more eggs this season. I bet it is sad to know the babies you were watching some may not have survived. I watch Spirit hatch last year, she was also one of Jackies and Shadows eggs and I cried when she took her final departure from the nest.

Hugs Zetta

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    edited April 2023

Good evening. I had my last physical therapy appointment today. I’m kind of having to learn to walk steady again, and lose the bad habits I’ve gotten into trying to compensate for my back. I think with some time and attention I’ll start walking better. I am so frustrated because walking is my favorite exercise. I’ll keep plugging along and making progress.

The last two days have been so pleasant. The temperature got up to 61 today. It was just perfect with sunshine all day.

Ron, Lou looked beautiful for church and her flowers are so cheerful. I hope you’re feeling better this week.

Sara, fresh produce is the best. I’m also going to look for locally grown this spring and summer. I want to cut down my huge tree in the side yard too. It’s old and needs to be done.

Lorita, I’ve had to change my password three times so far. It won’t remember what I used the last time I signed on.

Hi to everyone. Have a good rest of your day. Joan

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023
    Ron, thank you for the photo of Lou. She looks very content and lovely in her Easter purple. What a lovely gift from the lady from your church; flowers and chocolate! It sounds as though your church family is a good one.
    Sayra, your font though dark seems really tiny or are my eyes now aging too. Probably.
    Had to laugh at Zetta's "avocado balls" - at least the furry ones thought they would make great play things. Always something new with pets who can find SO many ways to entertain.
    I just made acquaintance with our son and DILs new rescue dog. They have only the one now. She is seven months old, very easy to manage and LOVES people as I now know since I was the recipient of a kissing "bath." Geeze! She is the official greeter at the dog park and loves other animals; frankly she just loves, loves, loves all day every day. They were lucky they got her and she was in such awful shape that she too lucked out to get her new forever home.
    I am so glad you were able to get Stormy and Sheena back where the belonged, Lorita. That had to be terribly scary to realize they were missing and the gates were open. Whew!
    Judith, sorry your crab apple tree is no longer crabby but on the roof. If it isn't one thing . . . .
    Phone ringing, take good care one and all and glad everyone is Posting.
    J.

• Jo C.

Okay, now I know why Sayra's font was small . . . if one uses the H5 Bolding prompt at the side screen, it makes the font smaller . . . . !!! I am now using my computer bold . . . . BUT . . .

When I change paragraphs, it does not permit that computer generated Bold either; I have to go back and use the computer to Bold process again. I will have to ask about this.

When I Post it, wonder if it will make the text smaller . . . will have to see . . . if it shows small font, we will know.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

This is H2. Is this better?

• Jo C.

Well . . . it's like Goldilocks and the three bears . . . .

It's too small . . . .

It's too big . . . .

We shall have to wait and see what Admin. says about how to Bold to get it "just right." I did report the issue and will wait to see what the answer may be.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

How is this? H5

How is this? H4

How is this? H3

How is this? H2

How is this? Regular font

• Lorita

Sara, I think that size is

f

. I'm using H5. I think ,4 is a bit smaller. But I like h5. I click on h2 and h5 and get bold and large. But have to redo it every paragraph. There has to be a better way.

• Lorita

Sara, I meant to say it was fine. Beautiful morning.

This time I only clicked on h2 and got this size and bold had to do it for both paragraphs..

• Jo C.
    edited April 2023

Good morning everyone. Good news. I reported the problem issue with Bolding. The Admin. and Tech folks are on it and are working on fixing the issue, so in time all should be doing much better with the entire Post able to be Bolded at one time without difficulty and no wonky font issues.

The large font is way too large and of course the teensy font is not going to work either, so when the issue of Bolding is fixed, all should be well with regular font size.

Little things do mean a lot. In the meantime, I am not using the site's Bold function. I am using my computer's Bold process and it works well. I typed my message, highlighted all paragraphs and it all Bolded at once with no glitches and the font is "normal" size.

• Lorita

Jo, the font size in your post is too small, at least for me. This is h4 which is pretty good. Will we be able to adjust the size?

• Lorita

When my post printed, the font was smaller for some reason. I'm using the same size now and it's twice as large. Guess I'll stop and do something else.

• Lorita

Did the same thing twice as small when posted. Think I will give up for now.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello Front Porch Friends, We are having such beautiful weather the past couple of days! I love spring!

Lorita, the first baby eagle (Decorah) died, I think the day after it hatched (on 4/5). Second eaglet was born on 4/6 and seems to be doing ok. Yesterday I got lucky; when I checked into the site, the mom or dad was feeding the baby so I got a very good look at it. So fuzzy and cute. It was peeping/asking for food, I guess, and it did get fed.

Lots to do today. Time to get started.

Beth

• Lorita

That's sad, Beth. Not very good luck with baby Eagles this year. Things are so green it seems like the air is green!

We on page 5- wondering how a new segment or a new topic is started. Two paragraphs with two sizes of fonts.

• Lorita
    And the font size changed when I posted it.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, if you go to the Discussions at the top of the page...a drop down will give you choices...click on caring for spouse or partner. when the new window comes up, look on the right hand side and there is a big yellow/gold button called New Discussion. I believe this will allow you to start a new thread.

• Iris L.

A problem is that there are different platforms, such as desktop, tablet, Apple phone or android phone. I start a new discussion by clicking on the plus sign within an orange circle located lower right. I discovered this by accident.

I wrote on the Moderator's thread on the Geneal Topics board, if you would like to read it.

I wrote a paragraph and by mistake posted from my device's clipboard. My devices's formating is directly above the board's formating. This is not good. Posting is now just too problematic!

• Iris L.

I have gotten 17 emails regarding posts on this threads, emails that I don't need. I think it's because I had inadvertently bookmarked this thread. I just unbookmarked this thread. I'll see what happens.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Iris, if you go to your profile settings you can change Notification settings and it will stop sending emails. Then you can bookmark again without getting all that unnecessary email.

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi everyone. Another pretty day here too. It feels so good. I’m getting laundry done and cleaning up a few things from Easter.

I found an eagle site foe our area. Two baby eagles hatched and starting to move around. It’s pretty cute to watch.

have a good day all. Joan

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney