Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends ,(193)

Lorita
Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, I thought it might be a good time to begin #193 since we're into a new year. There were so many good discussions and recipes in 192 sort of hated to do it but we can go back and find them if need be.

It's cold here today but supposed to warm up to 50 tomorrow. We've been spoiled here in Oklahoma during December with temps 4.5 degrees above normal. Guess it's time for cold weather but I'm looking forward to warmer weather, flowers and green grass. We missed most of those things last year because of the awful drought. Do hops the trees and shrubs that were completely defoliated live this year.Guess we'll see. Back later.

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Cold here too Lorita.

Made a little spaghetti today.

Lorita don’t have a beeper on my bread machine either for adding ingredients . Mine are very old but work well so far. Have never tried adding anything because of that.

Took J her groceries today. Guess i’ll work on mine tomorrow Good Lord willing.

Have you drove your new car 🚘 anywhere yet?

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good idea, new year, new thread. Yesterday (New Year's Day) was a lovely day, with clear blue skies, temp in the 70's. Today sees some clouds, and it's chilly, rain is predicted for tonight. Back to the same old, same old...

Iris

• Lorita

Iris, weather worked out just right for the parade, didn't it? Is Simon enjoying his birthday! Thought this would be a good time to begin 193.

Sarah, I drove it over to Darwin's yesterday and Stormy went with me. It's fun to drive . Love driving a new car and it's been 22 years so about time, I'd say. My bread machine is 35 years old, at least. I did write down the time between the things it does, mixes, rises and kneads. Sometimes the GPs eat a little of the bread and they can't have raisins so guess I won't do that. Made a loaf yesterday and had toast with apricot preserves and peanut butter this morning. Better stop and go turn off the water- I'm filling watertanks for the girls. Some are coming up for the night and they'll need water.

• Bluebird
    Bluebird Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I just discovered this thread. I love reading the discussions and would like to occasionally join in. Can you go over the guidelines for this thread? It seems to be a break from dementia, which we could all use.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hi Bluebird, welcome to Lorita's front porch. Always another rocking chair available.

The conversations here are like that among good friends...I would say the most important guideline is to be kind and understanding of others.

Feel free to join in anytime.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited January 3

Welcome Bluebird. Where do you live (approximately)? I'm in Los Angeles area. Do you have any pets? I have cats.

The day after I took my RAV4 in for service, I got a letter from Toyota about a battery problem. But they will contact me in the future with the remedy for this elusive battery problem. So I wait. But I do enjoy driving it. I'm so glad you're enjoying your Equinox, Lorita.

Iris

• Lorita

Welcome Bluebird, always room for more. Discussions are about any and everything and vary day to day. Some of us are still caregivers and some have been but have lost out loved one. This thread has been going since 2008 so many good friends have been made longrange.

I live on a ranch in Oklahoma, recently, two years ago, sold my cattle and leased the land. The girls are still here so get to see them everyday. Tell us something about yourself, anything you wish. Again, welcome to the front porch.

• Mint
    edited January 3

Welcome bluebird.

I live in Ohio. Try to care for my mother.

It is nice to be able to come and rest on the front porch.

Beth how are you and DH doing?

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Welcome Bluebird, I'm a Louisiana boy and caregiver of my wife of 56 years for the past 10 years. Lorita's front porch is full of friends of all different walks of life and we have become like second families. Lorita's front porch always has a empty rocking chair waiting on new friends to join in. Every once in awhile lorita brings her rockets out fir some do wop songs. They are a great group of ladies.

Ron

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Bluebird Welcome. The more the merrier.

My dad was my LO with dementia and mom was his primary caregiver. Mom fought me for almost a decade around getting him evaluated until a crisis at which point I became in charge of the logistics of moving them back to the area in which they raised me. This was a real dog'n'pony show-- selling 2 homes, finding an apartment then a home to buy, moving them 3 times in 8 months, assembling a medical team for the pair of them and supporting mom. Dad's since passed, and in the almost 6 years mom's health is such that I'm slowing assuming a caregiver role again. In some ways it's easier but in others it more difficult. Mom keeps me busy. My husband is the kindest and most understanding man on the planet.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've never used a bread machine. I'm fortunate that I live among some amazing bakeries that create pretty authentic French and Italian loaves of all kinds that a home baker could never replicate using commercially available yeast in a home kitchen. I'm all about the carbs. My local grocery store brings in breads from Brooklyn and Philadelphia, my dairy farm store brings in an amazing Jewish rye and Italian from Hoboken plus there's a little Italian place locally that makes a rustic loaf that is to die for. It was on this lovely bread that I fractured my tooth. Since I have access to such nice bread, I only make things I can't buy like banana walnut bread, cinnamon sticky buns, Parker House rolls, pizza dough or cheese bread. The cheese bread makes the best toast but it does require some babysitting to get the proper texture.

Weather here is pretty seasonal which is to say cold but not harsh. We may get some snow/rain mix on Saturday night. We haven't had much snow in the last couple of years, but I'm supposed to meet friends for dinner so snow would be less than ideal if it gets slick the one night I don't have to cook. It's funny, back when I was younger and working, I would drive 30 or so miles through pretty much any weather in whatever car I owned but these days? Nope.

I should start taking my trees down. But I'm still enjoying them, so maybe in a couple days. TBH, I would be happy to repaint my office a pale petal pink and keep my Barbie tree up all year. It's time to repaint anyway. The room is mostly a deep wine color which is cozy but I'm bored with it.

HB

• Bluebird
    Bluebird Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thanks for the welcome. I live in the Midwest with my husband, Tom, of 50 years. He is still early stages. I have 2 daughters, one married who lives close by and one single, who lives out of state. Tom, who just had a birthday yesterday is 73. I turn 73 in March. I still work part-time as a children’s librarian. I love my job. I get paid to play and read. I also love cooking. I’m looking forward to sitting on the porch and chatting with everyone.

Kathy

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Bluebird - you being a children's librarian made me think of this wonderful guy I follow on Instagram. He's a librarian and he reminds me I was a "library kid" when I was growing up and makes me want to go back to the library. I think he's in California.

https://www.instagram.com/mychal3ts/

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    edited January 3

Hi everyone I am caregiver to my husband. We have been married 25 years. He was diagnosed A year ago. We have wonderful 26 year old son. Beautiful 2 year old granddaughter. Joshua was lives close by. My husband early stage vascular dementia.

• Mimi50

You are children’s librarian I would love any suggestions for books. Our granddaughter Everly is 2 years old. Mimi is always looking for books to read to her. My husband is still in the early stages.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Here in Virginia we are getting ready for a big snow...5 to 10 inches on Sat. in the forecast. Can't really complain since we have had very little the last 2 years.

As long as I can get the front door open and the car cleaned off, I will be good! I don't usually drive in the bad weather, but like to have the car ready in case I need too.

For now they are forecasting most of it to fall in daylight hours, which is good, as I like to shovel a little bit at a time rather than waiting for it to end. Easier on the back...lol.

For those of you in the other parts of the country looks like much rain in the next few days. Hope each of you stays dry and snug. I know places need the rain, but does it have to come in such big batches?

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I can still smell the children's section of the library and feel the coolness of it on a summer's day. Our librarian was Mrs Boyer. A thinish lady who wroe her hair in a bun.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello and welcome from North Alabama @Bluebird ! I’m caring for my 97 year old Father in law from my previous marriage (husband passed away, no other family)

Newly married, my husband and I live on 40 acres in the country and we have a few goats, sheep and chickens.

Like Lorita, we have 2 Great Pyrenees/Anatolian shepherds that guard our herd. Spoiled rotten.

Glad to have you join us!

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I noticed my ingrein the shelf this morning for those cookies I make every year at holiday time. Bought everything I needed, but just couldn't get myself going. Since the holidays are over, maybe I'll feel more like baking. Also, remember how I mentioned cooking the porkchops with my beans and how tender they were! This year on new years I thought I would try it with my blackeyed peas. Thought I had some pork chops, but didn't. Found a steak in the freezer, thawed it out, browned it on each side and threw it in with the peas. Not traditional, but the steak you could cut with a fork.

Ron

• Lorita

Hi, This morning I was having cornflakes with some plumped raisins. Set the bowl down and when I came back Max was eating it. Got it away from him and set it on the floor.. Came back and Stormy was eating it. I knew dogs aren't supposed to eat grapes or raisins. Called the vet and the woman who answered asked him what I should do. He said it will be okay just make sure he poops and to watch him. I'm trying to trim Sheena's nails - can only do one at a time. I've trimmed four. I think we've had dogs who ate grapes without a problem. Anyone ever had a dig who ate grapes or raisins? I read about it online and scared the wits out of me.

• Mint

Mimi50 welcome to the porch. Two new people on the porch to share with, how nice.

JoC still thinking of you.

Bluebird what a blessing to have a job you love and can still do.

Ron i like any meat you can cut with a fork.

Jerilynne going to try and fix your type of soup before too long. I make something similar with chicken. Will use beef this time and cant make near as much as you make as no one to share with. May cook some pintos this afternoon to have to put in it. Usually put broken up spaghetti in my chicken soup so will leave it out and insert beans. Thinking about throwing a jalapeño into my pinto beans whole. on the Mexican channel I watch this lady said that that’s how her father always cooked his beans and that it doesn’t make him hot. It just gives him a good flavor so think I’ll be brave and try that.

HB nice you have all those bakeries to enjoy. The few times I’ve bought bread from the few we have, I likemy own bread better. Of course maybe I’m just not used to good bread.

take care everyone

• jfkoc

My, we are from coast to coast and border to border. I am in OK less than 2 hours west of Lorita.

Back to the soup recipe...@how much ground beef???

• Lorita

I don't believe that for a minute, Sarah about your bread. I also like the bread my machine makes better, too.

I just read that if your dog isn't really allergic to raisins it would take 15 to make a 10 lb. Dog sick. Have to watch them like a hawk. He had eaten before he ate the cereal. Worries me.

Just saw Rusty eating bird feed out of a feeder. There's lots of sunflower seeds in it. He's sitting on a branch of Holly and reaching over to the feeder. I also put the feed on the boards that are over the porch fence. He is so cute.

Our weatherman is talking about the possibility of a little snow here next Tuesday and high of 39.

Also talking about a the increasea in cases of covid, flu and RSV. Carol has had three adult members of her familytest positive for covid. Cases lasted five days and were like a bad cold. I worried about being around all those people at the car dealership and testdriving. I did decontaminate my car with disinfectant wipes and spray and kept the windows up overnight. Hope that works.

Soup sounds good. I like to use V8 juice in mine, too..

• Lorita

Don't forget about our friends, Barbara and Sandra in Austeralia. Sara, I always put rice in my vegetable soup.. I'll try spaghetti next time. I was watching Rusty and saw another one : maybe his wife?

• Lorita

Went up to our little store and got gas. Diesel is $3.90 a gallon. Only got 16 gallons and it was almost $63. It's a beautiful day but cool.

Girls are scattered so Stormy and I will go check them in a little while. He so wanted to get in the PU to go with me but just couldn't quite make it - getting hard for me sometimes, too. There's a lot of machinery noise SE of here. Not sure what it could be. I keep thinking they're going to tear down Carol's birth house soon. Hate to see it go. Hardly any houses out here like it was when I was growing up. Times and things change.

• jfkoc

Thanks...

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Welcome Mimi and Bluebird!

I live in Iowa. I was caregiver for my mom with dementia. She passed away in 2017. I've stayed on the site as I have "friends" here. Friends I've never met. I am a retired RN. I love gardening (mainly flowers, but some veggies too) and traveling.

My hubby had a fall off a ladder on Sept 27 and broke his back, ankle and humerus. He was in the hospital for 6 weeks and skilled nursing/rehab for 7. He is coming home this week! He is walking with a walker. He has made a lot of progress over the last few weeks.

My daughter and her 3 little boys were here for Christmas, from Texas. They just left today. I enjoyed having them.

• Mimi50

I didn’t know that dogs were not supposed to have raisins. Buster has not been interested in them. Cheeseburgers are more his thing.

• Mimi50

The soup sounds really good. I do taco soup in the crockpot. I haven’t made it in awhile. DH had the rest of his teeth pulled. So good time to do it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more