Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Administering my moms meds by a non-medical caregiver

jmsmall77
jmsmall77 Member Posts: 1 New
My mom has been dealing with Alzheimer’s/Dementia for the last 6 years. She is now end stage and has 24/7 care. I have her medication made up in little pouches and the caregiver were crushing and mixing with apple sauce. I just learned that the agency does not allow the caregivers to crush or mix with food. I do t know what to do. I physically can’t be available to administer every dose.I am my mom’s only family and besides agency support I don’t have any other support to back me up with giving her medication.
The agency is to be send me their policies.

Is anyone have any alternative ways that comply with agency requirements on medication administration?

Thank you! Beyond frustrated

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I would look hard at what can potentially be discontinued if she is end stage, and would also look carefully at timing-are there things that must be given more than once or twice a day, or that cannot be given together? Most agencies do have very strict rules about home health aides not being able to actually administer meds.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 15

Hi jmsmall - Welcome to 'here', but sorry for the reason. I took the CNA course at a local Community College, covid hit, and was not able to continue to license, but at least I learned a lot. It is true that unless a person has a separate certification specifically for giving meds, they are not allowed.

I agree with M1 - perhaps check certain meds that she may not need any longer that won't do any good, anyway.

Edit to add: Perhaps check with the agency if they have anyone who is medication-certified, or check with your local hospice. If she is end-stage, you could probably get a hospice evaluation.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

All private pay caregivers that came in for mom would simply mix what I had already crushed up in yogurt. I had it measured or dosed before they got there. It wasn’t a problem for us. Not sure if it was a problem for management guidelines but we worked together for mom’s best interest. Prior to crushing I still had the meds placed clearly in weekly am and pm containers. The aids never really knew what the meds were. Maybe because they weren’t dispensing pills from pharmacy bottles it was ok.

I hope you find a solution.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I also took a CNA course starting in late January 2020. It was a three week intensive course and we finished clinicals just before everything shut down. I’ve always appreciated achieving my license just prior to covid shutdowns. I’m sorry you weren’t able to.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks @mommyandme (m&m) -

yes, it was just a mess. Ours was a 6-week course, and about 2 weeks in, everything got soooo messed up. Ours was the last 'class' they took, and we didn't even get to do clinicals. They still have no further classes scheduled. We ended up doing reports via remote learning, and then we were brought back in for practicals on the mannequins. I have a class pic in our gloves and masks. My licensing test was scheduled, and they cancelled it. I re-scheduled, and then it ended up getting re-scheduling again, and after all that, that didn't work out, either.

Although I don't like not having received the license after all I put into it, I will never regret taking the course, so I guess that's a good thing. I learned more from the practicals than the written part. But I did learn that tidbit that you need a separate certificate for meds...

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more