Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends ,(193)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita... ITKWD?

Ron...go to drugs.com and look at all of your meds for side effects and then plug into the drug interaction and do include anything over the counter. Also call your pharmacist.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I think Lorita means In The Kitchen with (don't know who D is) on QVC.

Ron I agree with Beth. I take atenolol for HPB.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Yes, I have stopped my ateneoll until I can figure out what's going on. I'm drinking lots of water with electrolyte and still same problem. The only medication I'm currently taking is protonex, blood thinner and prostate. Also vitamins!

My only concern about stopping the ateneoll is it was originally given to me years ago fir tachycardia. My HR was 160 resting and the ateneoll (tenormin at the time I started) was the only medicine that brought it down. So need to keep a eye on HR while I'm off it!

Ron

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Ron, I think you should check with your doctor prior to discontinuing any drug. xo

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@ronald71111

I hope you hear back from someone today about discontinuing the Tenormin. FWIW, mom decided on rum raisin over coffee yesterday. You don't see rum raisin around routinely.

@JeriLynn66

I'm glad your Sunny passed peacefully and with people who love him. We should all be so fortunate.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The Costco run was blissfully easy today. I was able to pull up to a pump and checkout with no waiting. That is a first. I've also noticed that a number of things I buy regularly have dropped in price. The canned Diet Coke was about a dollar less than I last paid. The Charmin was down from previous highs as well. Grapes finally came down a bit too. My son eats his weight in fruit weekly, so this is welcome news.

HB

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,312
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi, right Caro Lynn - David Venable is the host.

Ron Friend, Carol was on an hypertensive medicine and wasn't feeling well. Her doctor retired and her new one discontinued it. She feels find now, no hypertension.

Just came in from the pastures.Needed to see Gray Lady. Checked north, then east and had to recheck North of the barn. She's okay. The wind is drying out the places they feed. Called Mike and he said they fed grain up by the MH this morning. I had an alternative. The minute I came out in the yard the girls thought I was going to feed them. Almost got stuck in the Gator. It's wet, wet at least 50 yards up from the pond. Nothing to write about so I'll stop for now. Hope everyone is doing okay.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello Everyone! Busy day here at the Shop and at the Care Facility. I was able to get POAs done and notarized for my FIL so that's out of the way. The Interim Executive Director told me she has found LOTS of record-keeping issues in the time since she arrived. I'm so GLAD I asked for the most recent version they had. And thank the good Lord, they did a Mini Mental on him and must have cheated. He asked me "haven't we already done this before"? Yep... but we did it over just in case. I've scanned to both my daughters so they also have copies in hand . FIL will be moving upstairs to Assisted Living within 3 weeks. I got all the pictures off the walls, drawers cleaned and 25 books out of his apartment returned to the Library today. There will be at least 20 more in there when I go back on Monday. God love him.

Brother in law did well after cataract surgery and has returned home to Scottsboro.

The Buyers for the Shop property are coming Monday to sign documents. Then we'll have 3 weeks to get 30 years of stuff, tools, etc. out of here and GO HOME!!!

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello Front Porch Friends.

JeriLynn. I am so sorry about Sunny, he is over the Rainbow Bridge, waiting for you. I have many there waiting for me.

Ed. It is so nice seeing you on the front porch. This is a great place to be. Welcome Mayor Ed.

Our snow is finally melting, we still have a bit falling but not enough to stick.

My eyes are both doing well and healing good. I went to my eye doctor yesterday for a follow up he was very pleased with how things went. Iam now down to two drops twice a day in each eye, from three drops four times a day in each eye. I have one more visit in three weeks for the last follow up. I have been really busy keeping track of times for eye drops.

Hugs Zetta

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I often think I am the dumbest poster but what is the Rainbow bridge??????

• ladyzetta

Judith. The Rainbow Bridge is the bridge your beloved pet crosses over on their way to heaven. 🌈

• ladyzetta

an imaginary, very pleasant place where a pet is believed to go after it dies, and where its owner hopes to see it again when they die : Many people refer to "going over the rainbow bridge" when they share news of the death of a beloved pet on social media.❤️

• Lorita

Judith, Google Rainbow Bridge and read about it. Real tear jerker for me.

• Lorita
    edited February 8

Just read the poem again and cried. The person who wrote it was truly a animal lover. Judith, Luke is there as are so many of my beloved pets.

Something I did while outside has really caused a flare of my costochondritis. Just remembered I worked on a gate wheel on the gate going into the NE pasture. Didn't get it fixed so one of the guys will have to. When they put up the gate, didn't get it high enough so we put on a gate wheel.

Zetta, so glad you're doing so well after your extractions. I use lots of eye drops for my dry eyes so bought a thing that was supposed to help get the drops in. Never could use it. How much longer do you have to use them and are they antibiotics?

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jerilynn you’re one busy lady.

I made a loaf of bread today with no sodium. It is flour, olive oil, honey, water and yeast. Tuned out soft and airy with a crunchy but not hard crust. Question now is how well will it freeze, as i freeze all my bread. If anyone else has to watch their sodium and would like to try the recipe let me know. You can make it by hand or in bread machine.

take care

• Lorita

Sara, is the only difference no salt? I only add half a teaspoon to mine. Shouldn't be any difference in freezing it. I keep mine in a bread keeper but usually if I don't get it in the refrigerator in time one or two slices of the bottom molds. I need o make a loaf tomorrow. Is there any difference in the taste?

Zetta, I saw something on the evening news that reminded me of you. It was a moose chasing skiers in Jackson Hole. Have you seen the moose from your back porch this winter?

Looks like the cold front on Sunday is coming across closer to Texas so we will get rain and wet snow just as it is beginning to get drier.

I saw big buds on one of our Maples just outside the yard. It's a big, beautiful tree that is always earlier than the others. Hopefully there will be others. So far no winter jasmine blooms.

• Mint

If you eat the bread plain has a little flat taste. With things on it you do not notice salt missing, The least amount of sodium in one slice if bread iv’e seen so far is 115 mg. Some have way more than that. If milk or eggs go into the bread they add sodium as they contain it naturally. I really liked the texture of the bread . Im going to try a slice out of the freezer in a few days, Good Lords will, if it is still good going to try making some buns from that recipe.

We are having spring temperatures here right now too. Imagine they wont last though.

• ronald71111

Guess I'll go to VA this morning when I can get someone to watch Lou.

When I woke up BP was 142/80 with HR of 111, after standing up BP was 85/57 with a HR of 129.

Was to early to call Lou's sitter and also this is her day off, I did text her and asked to call when she woke up. Old days I would just put my clothes on and go, but this isn't the old days.

Ron

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Ron, I hope you get in to see someone today. I’m wondering what your sodium level is. You’ve increased your water intake but also increased your urine output so I’m thinking your electrolytes are out of whack. If the sitter can’t come, maybe someone from church could help?? Take good care and I’m praying for you today ❤️

• ronald71111

Called 24/7 nurse and was told to go tp ER. Don't drive! I have a church member here now and lous sitter is on the way.

Ron

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

@ronald71111 I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope the drs. can figure out what is going on and get you feeling better. You are blessed to have a loving and caring church family. I said a prayer for you today.

@Jo C. I wish you and David were feeling better. You are both on my prayer list. So sorry for what you are going through. I do like hearing from you as do all the folks on the front porch. You've been so supportive of others here; now it's our turn to lift you up.

@Ed1937 Welcome to the porch! This is a great thread. I've been following for quite awhile even though I no longer have a loved one living with dementia. Such a good group of people here. Please visit often and post when you wish. Welcome!

@jfkoc Glad you are enjoying Alexander the Great. Thanks for the recommendation. Hope your family is enjoying their vacation in Cabo. I imagine the weather is nice and warm there. I've never been there although I have visited other cities in Mexico; most recently Cozumel and Costa Maya. Glad you are continuing your art tours. I know it feeds your soul! And that of others, too.

@Sayra I always enjoy hearing about what you are cooking. You are a very good cook! I used to make bread, years ago: sourdough, whole wheat, white bread, dinner rolls, even cinnamon rolls on occasion. I now eat gluten free so just buy the GF bread by Canyon Bakehouse. I have made GF cinnamon rolls but it is very labor intensive. They were delicious though.

@Caro_Lynne Your dog is a cutie!

@JeriLynn66 I am so sorry about the loss of Sunny. Glad you were able to get things done for your FIL and in regard to the shop sale. You are a very busy lady.

@Lorita You talked about orange cinnamon tea. I have some Harney's hot cinnamon tea. It is very delicious. It is available at their website and also on Amazon. Lately I have been drinking green tea as it is supposed to have a lot of health benefits. I also have some coffee in the morning - and the occasional latté at Starbucks or Caribou Coffee.

@harshedbuzz I too have found other individual's medical records in with my husband's. Not good! You are taking very good care of your mom. She is blessed to have such a loving and generous daughter.

@eaglemom I'm glad your chiropractor helped you. The last time I went to one, I had sciatica. He had me lie on the table and jerked swiftly and very forcibly on my leg (not the hurting leg) - but anyhow, I didn't like that experience at all and won't go to a chiropractor again. Didn't help my sciatica; what did help was a course of Prednisone.

Yesterday I made a stir fry with California mix vegetables and chicken and served it over rice. Darn, I forgot to get out my chopsticks and practice with them! lol For dinner I made Pioneer Woman's Hamburger soup. It was very good. It made a large batch so we ate some and froze 3 containers and refrigerated 1 container - 5 meals for my efforts! If you are interested you can google for the recipe. Yummy! 5 stars!!!

We are going to a Catholic church Lenten fish fry tonight. Looking forward to it.

A friend sent us a chocolate store gift card yesterday. How nice! Going to use it today; why not? Always in the mood for chocolate. And these are luxury chocolates.

Have a good day and weekend! Beth

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Ron in reading about you I thought of your sodium levels. I'm so glad your getting it looked into. And yes, don't drive yourself. You have many of us concerned for you and Lou.

I won't type much, this pinched nerve is about to wear me out. I saw the chiropractor again yesterday and he said it will take some time. At least my neck is loose and free, for that I'm thankful. He wants me to keep moving my arms / shoulders every hour. That's not an issue because that's the only time I get relief. Ugh.

It's going to be a warm, sunny beautiful day here before cold rain moves in tonight & tomorrow. Think I'll sit in the yard and soak in some vitamin D. Be safe everyone. Ron check in when you can.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm glad I found this thread it takes my mind off of my illness even if it's only for a minute or two

• Mint

HB I’ve noticed a few things costing less too, have seen a few sales that were more like they used to be.

Beth I have never been brave enough to tackle cinnamon rolls. Enjoy that chocolate .

14Barrsalem nice to see you have taken yourself a rocker on the front porch. A lot of us are here for the same reason you are. We have added quite a few rockers here lately on the porch, Just keep reading and you will get to know all of us. Chime in when you are ready and tell us a bit about your self. Im retired from health field, live in Ohio and help care for my mom.

We haven’t heard from Bluebird in a bit. Think she is helping her daughter with her wedding and believe she may still work. Hopefully she will have time to pull up a rocking chair soon.

Ron 🙏🏻 for you.

Eaglemom sorry you are dealing with this. Ive dealt with that some this winter. Think im getting past it now but its been a slow process.

Went to Amish stand today. All i got was eggs and wide mouth canning lids. My sister got garlic, onion and butternut squash. They are starting to run out of stuff but saw activity in green houses today, 😊

Take care everyone

• ronald71111

Just a quick update! While at the VA I was monitored, given iv fluids, xray and lab, nothing concerning except for hr being high. Was told to start back on the ateneoll and they have put in a consult for cardiologist.

I asked how low of a blood pressure was really concerning and was told he really didn't deal with numbers but I did need a cardiologist to find out why I'm dizzy.

Ron

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm 78 was diagnosed last November and my mind is still racing but slowing down a little I Thank God for my wife of 6 years for bearing with me and my episodes.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

JeriLynn, I'm sorry about Sunny Days. That's a great name, she brought sunshine into your lives!

Iris

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Welcome Barrsalem! I'm Beth, I live in Iowa. I found this site when I was a caregiver for my mom. She passed in 2017.

I have lived in Iowa all my life. I used to show horses when I was a child -> teen. I have always loved animals. I am a gardener - mostly flowers but some vegetables and fruits as well. I also enjoy traveling. I am a retired RN. I am married and have 2 adult children and 8 grandchildren.

Tell us about yourself; what area of the country do you live in and what do you enjoy doing?

• Lorita

Hi, cloudy, cool day. A little rain predicted for later, then lots of rain and some snow especially in the SW part of the State on Sunday. Eagle the rain you'll get is from the same system.

Filled both water tanks and went to mailbox to mail lettersI'm and drove the car. Most of the girls were in the pasture by the driveway and they were so curious, guess they thought we were having company. Haven't located Gray Lady but will find her in a few minutes.

Hope you all are well today. Ron, good you went to the VA to be checked out. I'm so glad your fellow Church members are of so much help to you.

Jeri Lynn, I know how you must miss Sunny. So hard to lose them. I lost Barclee last year and will always miss him and remember the sweet things he did. Sheena seems better and I think the enlarged hygroma has decreased in size. She"s also playing with me. The pain plll and antibiotic are both pretty big but I mix them into her Moist and Meaty and she doesn't even know she's taking medicine.

Barrsalem, welcome to the front porch. Always nice to have new posters. No guidelines for our thread- we talk about everything and try to help each other in any way we can. I live in Eastern Oklahoma on a ranch. We ran cattle for years and after I lost Charles I continued until two years ago. Leased the land and sold the girls. They're still here for me to watch over and enjoy. I didn't sell Billy the Bull so am still in the cattle business, somewhat.

JeriLynn, how are those sweet babies? I love to see them jump around and climb on things. Better stop and check on Gray Lady. Enjoy the day.

• Seaside
    Seaside Member Posts: 38
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments

I haven’t commented for a very long time…my days aren’t as interesting as yours! But I do want to give Lorita this recipe for the tea she described. I used to make it during the holiday season in the 70’s and 80’s. It takes a ton of sugar and so stopped making it because I loved it so much but didn’t want to put on the extra weight! It was called Russian Tea and is instant tea. I don’t even know if Tang is on the grocery shelves anymore. I found this link, Lorita.

Betty

• Lorita
    edited February 9

Hi Betty, glad you posted. I've missed hearing from you. That's the tea I've been talking about. Thought it had Tang in it. I was so good and everyone was drinking it. I'll check and see if WM has Tang. How have you been? Didn't have to go out into the pastures. Gray Lady and another one of the girls are laying dow n in the tabisun between the house and pond.

Drove the car again to the mailbox and down the road a bit. Lots of fun to drive it. Every time I drive it I learn something new. Can't seem to be able to get the window sticker from the dealer. I want it to see which options are on it. The book just reads about all of them.

Sarah had a bad reaction last night to Cymbalta. She has taken it before with no problems -this was a refill. She woke up about 3 a.m. and couldn't open her eyes. Her eyelids were swollen. Finally got them.open a little bit but couldn't see much at all. She called me and I could hear Todd reading about it. This morning she could see but eyelids were swollen a little. Called the Pharmacist and he said some people do have that adverse reaction and to flush them. Said he'd call the doctor for a substitute. .I read about it and there are so many possible side effects which is true about most medicines.

Are you all ready for the Super Bowl LVIii. I hope the Chiefs win. I've seen all 57 of them and hope to watch this one. Guess I'm telling my age. Still remember the nursing assistant who taught me the rules of football, the year I met Charles!

Judith, this morning I found the letter from Florida Boys. Guess I'll order enough bulbs for three big pots. I've had caladiums every year for at least 30 so hate not to this year. They are so pretty.

Time for Jeopardy so will stop and see if I might know an answer or two.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more