Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A life sentence

I feel so god-forsaken. My DH is in stage 6 (I think) and his constant combativeness and total confusion ruin every single waking day. Truth is I don't even like him anymore and we've been married for 50 years. When he was diagnosed the neurologist said "this isn't a death sentence" and I remember thinking "no, it is a life sentence - my life." I have him on a waiting list for MC but that will just mean I start burning through our hard earned retirement savings at a rate of $9000 per month until we are both impoverished and I have to sell my beloved house because I can't support myself in it on spousal Medicaid allotment of $150,000 in assets.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Think he said “ isn’t a death sentence “

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I was advised , this is nj, that if comes to needing Medicade you change deed to one not needing Medicade. It’s all legal. And can really only have certain amt of money and can by law spend part on anything you need to bring down. Car , roof etc

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Please talk to an elder care attorney and ask about what you can do to shelter your retirement money and your home. You would be surprised at what can be done. It may not save it all but a large chunk. It depends on the State as to how they can set things up.

• CaliforniaGirl-1
    CaliforniaGirl-1 Member Posts: 125
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Talk to a CELA who is knowledgable about Medicaid and Medicare in your state. In my state they have changed the rules so they look only at income and not assets and there is a credit against income for board and care. I think its more complex than that but the situation is not as dire as it used to be.

The best advice I got was a get a good CELA and if apropriate a medicaid financial planner/advisor. In both cases you should be able to get at least a phone call for free . If you don't know how to find a good CELA, call your local Alzheimer' Association and ask for a few that they really know

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for your understanding though I am sorry you feel it, too.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m in California. I was told by the attorney to qualify for Medicaid to save some of our assets, everything had to be done 5 years prior to requesting help of any kind?

• spunkykid578
    spunkykid578 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

What state are you from? I just met with an elder care lawyer and she shared that if my DH needed nursing home care that I would be able to keep my house, car, and 125,000 dollars for him to qualify for medicade. It is frusterating since I am much younger than my husband and I have a teenager and preteen.

• Buggytoo

I am in MN. And similarly, I can keep house (up to $671K in equity), car and $156,000 of assets for my husband to qualify for Medicaid. Husband can have $3000 in assets.

• spunkykid578

My husband can have 2500. I just worry that as I get older I will have no money to care for myself. I know that sounds selfish.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

The Federal government provides funds to each state for their Medicaid program, but each state determines their own rules for how funds are disbursed. It is worthwhile to meet with a CELA to find out exactly how your state's rules work. The CELA will review your assets and explain which assets are non-exempt and have to be spent down before Medicaid will kick in and begin to pay, and which assets are exempt and the community spouse (you) get to keep. In my state the community spouse is allowed to keep their own income (ie their Social Security and any pensions they have earned), a primary residence worth up to $650K, one car, and up to $165,000 in investment assets. My state also allows the community spouse to keep their individual retirement accounts, so while DH's IRA and Roth IRA are non-exempt and would have to be spent down before Medicaid kicks in, my IRA and Roth IRA are exempt and I get to keep those funds. This IRA status varies from state-to-state, but if you're in a state where you as community spouse get to keep your IRAs, it can make a big difference to your plan and to your peace of mind.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am in Maryland. The attorney said that they would not take the house as long as I am living in it. Also, she said that a one-time annuity can be purchased using our retirement funds just prior to the long-term care insurance running out. Because you have to take the money out of the 401K to purchase the annuity, you do lose a lot because you have to pay taxes on the withdrawn amount all at one time. I really don't fully understand it, but it is better than losing everything. Who would have ever thought that we all would be in this situation in our so called "Golden Years."

• Buggytoo

Doesn't sound selfish at all! Sounds pragmatic!

• CaliforniaGirl-1
    CaliforniaGirl-1 Member Posts: 125
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 24

I have attached some links. I have no expertise in this so I would speak to someone knowledgable in Medi-Cal financial planning before doing anything. There are still income limits.

Let me reiterate that I don't know what all this means. You really need an expert to help who is specifically knowledgeable with these changes and deductions and exemptions to the income side and the other programs. I don't know if there is a free ombudsman or advisor?

• trottingalong
  • spunkykid578

What state are you in? Thank you for the advice.

• Buggytoo

I am from Minnesota. I know the asset limits vary from state to state. None is enough, sadly.

• wevrldy1
    wevrldy1 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Same in NY. We met with the attorney today. He explained there is a 5 year look back for Medicare/medicaid re placing liens on property. I don’t know if this is common to other states.

• trottingalong
  • spunkykid578

• Jinx Darling
    Jinx Darling Member Posts: 14
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

i had a hard time accepting that I needed to be grinding up meds and putting in DH foods. Since I have, things are still rough, but much more manageable

• Buggytoo
  • Nancy Lipari
    Nancy Lipari Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    > @Buggytoo said:
    > Doesn't sound selfish at all! Sounds pragmatic!

I couldn't agree more. Both partners deserve thoughtful means of care.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more