Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Recent dementia diagnosis

Hi all, I am a young nearly 67 yr old female. Last week I was diagnosed with dementia. Both of my parents passed from the diseasse -my mom at age 84 passed December of last year and my dad passed one week to the day of my diagnosis, July 30, 2024. I was my mom's full time caregiver while she lived with me the last 4 years of her life. 24/7 with seldom a break. I feel like I have PTSD from that alone. Two siblings who refused to participate the entire time. Feels like I'm still in mourning for my parents and now I have the dreaded disease. PET scan coming up soon for more details of what's going on in my noggin.
So, I'm single and was employed with a major company x6 yrs until my department was phased out. That happened March of this year. No, it has not been a great 9 months for me. lol....I am trying to become employed again, but I fear my memory issues and the changes I feel going on personality wise are going to hinder me significantly. The last 4 yrs of my employment were in a work from home / remote customer assistance role which allowed me to be at home to care for my mom under FMLA. I just don't know if I have the brain power to learn a new routine. I've applied for and received about 10 offers to take assessment tests and or online interview, but I'm scared. I've also developed something that I frequently noticed in my mom: apathy. I detest apathy, but that's the feeling I have about most things as of late. Apathy and zero motivation for follow thru. This is so unlike the old me! But I've no choice if I want to continue living in my apartment.

I have 2 sons. One has a high-level cyber security position in our local government, and I would never ask him to care for me. His career is definitely on the rise plus he's a full-time parent to his 12 yr old daughter. He's told me that he saw how taking care of my mom controlled and ruined the last 4 yrs of my mental health and that he does not want the position of caregiver. I'm not mad with him. My oldest son lives in a neighboring state and is a schoolteacher. We are on good terms, but I wouldn't say we are close. There's a mutual respect and love between us and that's about as far as it goes. I'm not going to a group home -that's all I could afford provided I qualified for Medicaid. Probably wouldn't once I start working. I toured local group homes for my mom in her last months and I just could not do that to her. There wasn't one thing I liked about any of the homes. I am going to try Vitamin B-12 in hopes that I gain a bit more energy and enthusiasm for daily tasks. Opposed to pharma meds tho. Eventually my option will be euthanasia -can I say that in this forum? It won't be soon (I hope) but probably within 6 to 8 months. Depends on how quickly I continue to slip down the rabbit hole. It seems to have gotten noticbly worse in the last few months. Even that last month has revealed new symptoms / behaviors. I'm as good as I'm gonna get as of today, so we will see how long I can hold on. The day I determine I can no longer live alone is the day I make my reservations for the clinic in Switzerland. My son is keeping an eye on me so he will tell me when he thinks it's time.

It's not all bad -my son's and I are going on a 4-day bucket list beach stay the middle of September. I will cherish walking the beach with each of my son's and revealing heartfelt sentiments and advice for them for once I'm gone.

Would like to plan on dinner with all my ex-co-workers as another celebration get together and a separate gathering with cousins, friends and childhood friends. If I can muster the enthusiasm.

That's it in a nutshell. Young feeling me feeling old and unwell. Feels like I'm trapped in a strange body and mind that are not mine. I was going to travel and see the USA. Guess I'll travel to Switzerland for one final party.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I’m new to the group and was recently diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s after a brain MRI showed some shrinkage. I take Lexapro for Impulse control and now Memantine for Az. I feel fine with no current difficulty
  • ricardo
    Anyone here?
  • ricardo

maybe not oh well

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Wendy and Ricardo. Ricardo, I welcomed you on your other post.

Wendy, I understand everything that you have posted. Have you been thoroughly evaluated for all possible medical causes of memory loss? How you are functioning is not uncommon after caregiving and grieving. You mention taking vitamin B12 on your own. It's true that low vitamin B12 can cause memory loss and be a dementia mimic. But the treatment usually is vitamin B12 injections, because the body no longer can absorb B12 via the stomach. Read about pernicious anemia and intrinsic factor.

Your symptoms could also be due to major depression. Were you given a trial of antidepressant medication? Aggressive treatment of depression for a minimum of 4-6 weeks is indicated if there is a question of depression. This is because major depression is a dementia-mimic. If I were you, I would check things out more. I had a trial of antidepressants which showed no change before I began Exelon patch.

You may possibly have two dementia-mimics. Don't make plans for Switzerland before you check these out. Please keep posting and keep us updated.

Iris

• Bluearmadillo
    Bluearmadillo Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

I was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease following a petscan. I am having difficulty accepting my situation. I’m terrified about what lies ahead. I wanted to join in here to help me normalize my feelings.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 653
    500 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I was diagnosed last fall and I was crazy with fear. But now I realized I can't change anything hopefully you will realize that you can't change and anything. Let me know if you want to talk.

• marionwilhelm
    marionwilhelm Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I, too, quit worrying about the future. None of us ever know whats coming up next.

• Iris L.

Don't think about what you can no longer do, think about what you still can do.

Iris

• Tracy57
    Tracy57 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Greetings! I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s earlier this year. I’m 67, retired from a private psychotherapy practice. My family’s history of Alzheimer’s includes my maternal grandfather, maternal aunt, and my mother, all deceased. I’m the youngest of three in my family, and thus far the only one to be diagnosed. Though I’ve had time to process this information, I’m still a bit overwhelmed. However, I survived Hodgkin’s lymphoma at 36, and multiple late effects from its treatment (including sick sinus syndrome as a result of damage to my heart, and hypothyroidism). After more than a year of what appeared to be increasing memory problems and trouble managing things like passwords, using the internet, etc., my husband urged me to talk to my GP doctor. Her initial diagnosis of mild cognitive dysfunction eventually led her to the more definitive conclusion that I have Alzheimer’s. I’m still adjusting to this, though slowly coming to accept the reality of it.

Fortunately, my husband and I dealt with my mother’s Alzheimer’s some years ago (we were her only family in the same community), and he is aware of what we’re facing. He is also one of the smartest, kindest, and funniest people I know, and is about to retire, so he’ll try to care for me as long as possible.

I love art (drawing, painting), writing, and nature, and to the extent that I’m able, I intend to maintain my involvement in all of these things for as long as possible.

To be honest, I am frightened of what lies ahead, and on tough days I can sink into grief and hopelessness. Luckily, my husband and my friends and family are very supportive, and I know I won’t be alone.

Finally, my warmest regards to all of the others here who are dealing with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. I’m so grateful for this organization and website. We all face a tremendous challenge, and I am grateful for your company, and respect your courage and strength.
  • Iris L.

Welcome to our online support group, Tracy. I hope that you and the other members will be great supports to each other. Are you aware that chemotherapy can cause cognitive impairment? Are you on any medication for your memory?

One of our emeritus members, Alan in Colorado, was himself a psychologist, and he warned us that stress and anxiety will reduce our cognition by HALF! I hope you know some good stress relief techniques and strategies.

I have a diagnosis of cognitive impairment not otherwise specified and I am using medications to help my memory.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing, Tracy.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney