Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited September 18

Yes Judith! You'll have to try it out to make sure it works.

It's a crying shame that we have to be so careful all the time to not be scammed.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

wow…clever scam

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

TThx for the personal trainer idea! The senior Ctr does have a personal trainer, I'll check tomorrow.

• Lorita

G o out and look at the moon . It is beautiful just like last night. Tonight it's too far north to reflect in the pond but pretty anyway. It's a real summer night, warm and calm.

Goodnight. Sleep tight.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Mint, I would not accept a package with no return address. I still remember the anthrax scares of the early 2000's. There are too many scams and hoaxes going around.

Judith, what are you planning to cook first on your new stove?

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Lorita the moon is beautiful this morning.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning, I will be leaving my cousin close to Little Rock and going to my son in Missouri shortly.

Ron

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ron and JeriLynn, enjoy your travels! Hope your grandson has a good game!

Lorita, I am so sorry about your water leak. Hate to see the wasting of water and your high water bill!

David, I'm glad you are going to the senior center and exercising. It's good to keep active.

Hi Zetta, It's so good to hear from you. Glad you made it safely to your daughter's house and the pets are adapting. Your daughter will so appreciate your cooking and cleaning. What a considerate mom you are!

Iris, I loved seeing the photo of the fireman training on poles. My great uncle was a lineman for the electric company. I'm sure he climbed more than a few poles back in the day!

brs, so you are a gardener! Me too. We are moving soon but currently we live on a half acre lot in Iowa and about half of my backyard is garden. Primarily flowers but I have 4 raised beds for vegetables. Tell us or add some pics of your garden if you like. Michigan is a beautiful state. We vacationed once in South Haven and twice on Mackinac Island. I am going to add garden pics on this post.

eagle, your dementia friendly group sounds very nice. You are blessed to have programs like that. This place was my dementia friendly group when I was caregiver for my mom. I learned so much here. I'm grateful for all of you and all who were members in the past too.

Caro, hope it cools off for you soon. My sister and her husband live in Ocala. They lived in the panhandle for over 20 years. Job change took them to Ocala. Their daughters live in CT and OR so lots of traveling involved to get together.

Judith, glad your range is fixed. I was surprised to hear your range has a gas oven AND an electric oven. My current stove is ceramic top electric. I've never cooked with gas but will be at the new house. Not excited about it. A little nervous about it.

Mint, thanks for that info about that scam. So many of them out there. We need to be very careful.

We are getting new siding on our home. They started yesterday and imagine they'll finish up today. We are taking belongings up to the new house daily since we closed earlier this week. Movers will finish us up on the 27th. It's very busy but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Met next door neighbors yesterday. Nice people.

brs - garden pics. I have 100 daylilies!

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes it is sad Seniors have to be careful not to get scammed. I wen

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning, on for hair cut then to exercise class and later to center for spaghetti dinner

• Lorita

Morning, everyone. Just had a call from the plumber telling me he will be here around noon today to find and fix the leak. That will save some water.

Ron, be careful driving on your trip. Have a good time - know you will. How long will you be gone?

JeriLynn, hope you have a good trip, SIL may do allright, fingers crossed.

Gotta go fill the water tanks and take some mail down to the mailbox. Back later.

• Mint

Great Lorita glad they are able to come today.

Im getting a little bit cleaned up outside. Its a slow process but guess maybe it is good it is. I still see birds and bees coming to them. I hate cutting them but I don't have a lot of extra time so have to start. Have not seen the humming birds and I had been seeing them frequently. They may be gone.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I thrilled the plumber is coming earlier than expected Lorita. Good for you.

I've been in the yard power washing all the patio furniture, etc. Since its so stinkin hot and windy it dries immediately. I'm still not happy with how I"ve arranged it on the patio, so as soon as I cool down I'm back at it. DH very kindly came out and checked on me and said "I think you should come in, you look hot." He was right, but I really think he just wanted lunch!! Which is fine, he checked on me.

Back later.

• Lorita

The p!number is here, only one. It's 95 with heat index of 105. It is awful. I asked him if he would be alright working in the heat and he said he would. Hope he finds it quickly. It took him about 30 minutes to find it. He had to go to town for parts.

I went out about an hour ago and could hardly wait to get back in. Got worried about Darwin so finally got in touch with him. He had gone down in a pasture but was back home.

Eagle,be careful out in that heat. Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow. It's like August. One of our local tv news men says Oklahoma's August has 45 days. Guess he's right.

Carol's husband is 82 today and he went out and played golf today. He's home now and said there were 13 of them, all in their 80s.

• jfkoc

transformer out….soooo glad I have Generac!

• Lorita
    edited September 19

When the plumber was working on my leak the line on the water company's side broke. Called the water guy and his men are working on a bigger leak. Seems to be low pressure around. The man said my leak wasn't too bad, about a foot and half down. The plumbers boss will call me in the morning. This plumber said the water people might fix both leaks but doubts it. So, no water tonight which is okay. I have plenty in the refrigerator. Glad I filled one water tank and the other is half full with several hoppers in it. Gave.him an ice cold.Pepsi.

• Lorita

I really like pur Generac, too, Judith. Wish we had gotten it 30 years sgo. The man from the Water District just came to fix the meter.

• Lorita

The girls are very interested in what is going on so I went out and looked. The truck is there and a pickup and some kind of digging machine. No idea what they're doing. It's going to be dark before too long.

Severe storms north of here, mostly a!omg the Kansas State line, none here but it is cloudy and dark in the south.

• Lorita

Last post about the water, I hope.. I have water tonight!! The water district fixed their pipe and it broke in another place so they had to dig and replace a length of pipe. Then, they also fixed my leak. Now to get the water bill. It's been a busy day with people coming and going. Stormy has been upset all afternoon. And, so have the girls. The truck was white and looked like their feed truck.

Sunset was pretty, pink and gray. Farther from the west there were tufts of fluffy clouds- made me think of Sheena and Stormy,'s tufts of hair. Really pretty.

Sleep well. Good night.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Glad you have water, Lorita. I hope your bill isn't too high.

HB, seems your mom was to have surgery soon. Hope things go well for her.

Eagle, you have been very busy with washing your patio furniture and rearranging it. We were looking for a new patio table and chairs yesterday at Lowe's and Menard's for our new home. Also looked for an electric lawnmower. Not really the best time of year to find those items here in Iowa. Lots of snowblowers out in the stores though!

Mint, hope your garden cleanup is going well. We still have hummingbirds and the past few days there has been significant monarch activity. The monarchs love the verbena bonariensis (pic below, the airy purple flower). It's a self-sowing annual.

Another 90 degree day for today. Sunday, high of 68 and then 70's for the next few days! Yay! We need rain badly. My grass is starting to go dormant (turn brown but not dying). We had been in drought for 4 years. Then this spring we got abundant rain and were no longer in drought. Then, August and September had very little rain and back to mild drought conditions. And lots of heat. Definitely hard on the grass and the humans too! We did get a little rain overnight. Not sure how much - it's dark and I cannot see my rain gauge.

Tuesday we took possession of our new home. We have been going out daily moving things. Next Friday the movers come.

Have a good day everyone!

• Mint

Good morning

Lorita so glad you got your water back

Beth I have that verbena also. It can kind of be a weed, keeps me from loving it. Not too hard to pull up though.

Take care everyone

• Lorita

Morning, didn't see a single hummingbird or butterfly this year. Guess it was too hot and dry. The grass that was growing and was pretty and green is beginning to turn brown. Supposed to be 99 today with heat index of 112-115. I will stay inside but do need to go out and fill the water tank.

Yes, I have water today. Mark says the water bill will be around $300-400, not sure until he reads the meter again. I've let the faucets run a while to get the good water running again and think I will let the icemaker make a couple of batches before I use it. I posted way too much yesterday so will just read your posts today. Hope everyone is well.

• jfkoc

broken transformer fixed but it blew out something…it is 88 degrees in my bedroom….I have a fan and an ambien so will pretend it is August 1926 on Key West.

• Lorita

What about your generator? Is it working?

• jfkoc

yes….everything was fine except that plug….think it was blown at the beaker…100% now.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning Porchlings.

I was up ridiculously early. Mom's surgery report time was noon, so I could have slept in, but it wasn't happening. Allergies; I didn't want to wake DH coughing.

Beth— Thanks for the good wishes. I grew up with electric ranges and had them our first home. For stove top cooking I find gas easier with a pretty quick learning curve. I do prefer electric for baking, but I like gas better for broiling. You may adapt quickly. I did.

Mint— Thanks for the scam warning. I'm with you on the risks of Handyman Roulette. The last guy I found on a neighborhood FB group. He seemed to have decent ratings, but he not only over-sold his abilities, he was nuts. He had a full-on tantrum with self-injury swapping out a simple light fixture. I was terrified and couldn't wait for him to leave. LOL, I made sure DS and DH stayed home the whole time he was here.

eaglemom— That dementia-friendly group sounds terrific. The closest we have to that is a couple of Memory Cafes. Mom looked into one but passed on it as it was more of a day program where caregivers stayed with their LO the entire time which takes the exchange of coping strategies off the table.

Judith— I'm glad your fancy range is fixed. My sympathies on the loss of your excuse to not cook. Not that you need one.

Jerilynn and Ron— I do hope your trips are going well.

Lolita— I’m glad your leak was fixed so promptly.

• Lorita

it's 1:30 and already 98 with heat index of 107!

• jfkoc

Beth…hope you took that lily with you. My favorite color. Wish I were nearby to dig up some of your plants…

In honor of the new range now working I am asking stew in the crockpot!

• Mint

Lorita that is sad not seeing hummingbirds or butterflies.

HB allergies can sure be miserable. Have been there and done that.

giving a chance of rain next few days. It will be appreciated if we get it.

Good night😴💤💖

• Lorita

Never made soup or stew in a crockpot Guess you would add all the ingredients like on the stove and let it cook.

It is sad, Mint. We used to have them but I think the herbicides they spray the pastures with is probably the cause. In fact, Darwin and I have talked about the fact there are fewer rabbits and birds than a few years ago. I still hear coyotes when I'm out at night but seldom see one. Our world is changing. Also liked it the way it used to be.

I have stayed inside today, just too hot to be out. The GPs go out for ten minutes and want back in. I think tomorrow is the first day of Fall!! We really need rain. Grass is turning brown.

Sleep well tonight.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney