Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anger When Family Tries To Help

rosecoloredglasses
rosecoloredglasses Member Posts: 27
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hi everyone! I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has had experience with this and what you did to mediate it. So I am a caregiver (F25) to my mama with Alzheimer's (F60), and she is on her first big trip since her diagnosis. Her sister took her out of state to visit other family members and my mom is having a wonderful time. It genuinely makes me so so happy, along with relieved that I've had a break the past few days. Today I got a message from her sister suggesting that I take my mom out on walks and get her in to social programs, all good ideas, but it made me so angry. I don't even know why! I'm thinking it's because since I'm the one that looks after my mom on a daily basis with next to no assistance from extended family, that it makes me feel they don't have the right to suggest things?? I feel horrible for feeling angry because this is what I want, more support. I know they love us, but as soon as this trip is over they'll all go radio silent again. I think I'm also angry because I know my mom is doing "show time" with them, and as soon as she's home she will fight me on going out for walks and social programs. The version they get is different from the one I get and I feel like they don't understand that. I don't like being angry, especially when loved ones are just trying to help.

Comments

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That is very frustrating. agree - no doubt mom is showtiming. How long have they been with your mom? just a day or two? Glad you are getting a break, but I really hope they at least begin to see the day-to-day reality of the situation after a few days.

But maybe you could get a small break with adult daycare a day or two a week if possible?

• howdoidothis
    howdoidothis Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I understand. My sibling keeps telling me about friends in similar situations and what they suggest I do. I’m like, I’m with her every day. You’re three states away and your friends have never met her. I try to tell myself it’s all with good intentions, but it’s frustrating for sure.

• mabelgirl
    mabelgirl Member Posts: 200
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Oh my what a familiar story yours is. When mom lived with my brother she was constantly calling us telling us how bad things were for here. Honestly it wasn’t all fabrication but a lot was. My brother would get very defensive and nasty and hang up on us. Then when she lived with me she was telling her friend big stories about how I treated her. So when her friend started in on me I sent her videos of mom refusing to do anything. I told her friend you just can’t take her words at face value. You need to just know that I am providing the best care I can for her. Now she’s in AL and will tell folks how there is nothing to do. We take a snapshot of the monthly activities so everyone can see and remind her what there is to do.
    Unfortunately no matter what we do someone will always pipe in a suggestion. Until the live more than a few days with PWD they’ll not understand. Keep telling yourself you are doing the best you and just thank the person for their concern and let it roll off you.

Prayers for strength.

• Merla
    Merla Member Posts: 61
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

I'd be angry and frustrated too because you are likely doing the best you can with the resources you have. I know my loved one would benefit from more social interaction and activities but how I supposed to manage this while working full time, raising 2 kids and not having access to car during the day or having the financial means to buy a car without any planning. So of course your mom might benefit from x,y,z but most likely this has already occurred to you and there are real obstacles involved in operationalizing this advice.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more