Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (169)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Bottom line...there will be hiccups. In the end all will be well and what is forgotten can be brought later and there is always Amazon and the like.

Speaking of mice and vermin, my house is very clean, no hoarding. We trapped 30+ Norwegan rats and mice have chewed up my LaCanche wiring. Vermin are everywhere. Even Ree Drummond has talked about rats!!!

Lorita, you are on top of everything it is possible to be on top of. Hat's off to you!

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi,

Just got back from bringing Stormy home. All of us missed him last night.  The roads are horrible - much worse than yesterday and we only had .2" of rain. Stormy had his foot sutured and has a wrap on it that will come off Friday - sutures will absorb.  Two kinds of medicine - Amox twice daily and a pain pill.  He just came to where his bowl has been so gave him a little food with the pills inside. They said to do that every couple of hours - food, that is.  You should see the huge collar I bought to use on him if need be - that is, if he chews on his wrap.  So glad that's done.  I need to check the yard to see if I can find what he stepped on.  Don't want that to happen again to either of them.  He tinkled for a full minute when we got home - guess he'd been holding it. He laid down on the way home but still could look out the windows to see where he was.  Guess he thought I'd left him there for sure.

Just talked to the movers - he called to tell me their morning move was taking a little longer but they'll be at Jacks around 3 or 4.  Tamatha came to have him sign the l ease and he said she just left.  So, all that's left is the movers taking his things and getting him in the morning to get his test and what he needs at WM. 

He just called to tell me she had left.  He's apprehensive about the move but knows it's the right thing to do.  I'm not going to even mention the house until he settles in and is comfortable with things.  If the movers are agreeable to getting the chests and bedframe out, that's fine - if they're in good enough condition that will save him some money that he'll need later.  Jo, the bedframe does have a head board and a foot board and that's why he wants it.  If they're not usable, he'll buy new ones.

Judith, you have to remember that the country isn't like the city as far as mice and rats - Ree Drummonds lodge is surrounded by pastureland with mice galore - not sure about her house in town but I don't think Pawhuska is a very big town compared to Tulsa or OKC.  Mice come in or try to when the weather gets cold - same with flies.  Jack just told me he whacked a fly that had been bothering him for a week.  I'm surprised we don't have more flies with the cattle so closeby but I hardly ever see one - seems like there were a lot of them when I was growing up.  Daniel said they saw one big one under our house but later he found it and I guess, Max, had killed it.  He got under the house before they finished the flooring.

Charles and I lived in an 8x30 travel trailer for a couple of years after we got married - 240 sq. feet and that includes the cabinets and other things - his apartment is 380 sq. ft. so Tamatha said there's plenty of room for what he wants to take. 

His daughter has been calling and calling him - all during the night.  I told him the people at the ALF could show him how to block her number (I have no idea on his phone) so he wouldn't have to deal with that. 

I'm praying all of this works out and I think it will - no reason for it not to.  He does need to be over there fairly early so I'll pick him up pretty early and there shouldn't be many people in WM at that time.  I'm going to check where we get the test to see if they'll come out and do the test without him going inside.  They did that for me at the Health  Dept.

This afternoon I'm going to rest and unwind.  I'm grateful for all the ideas and suggestions offered - things will work out and Jack will be better off and much happier when he's around people.

I'll be back later.

• Lorita

Ron,  I'm so sorry things aren't going too well with Lou right now.  Maybe the trip sort of upset the apple cart, so to say.  Hopefully, she'll settle down and be her old self in a short time.  Sometimes a change in location or routine can upset a person for a while.  I think I mentioned that even moving furniture around to sweep or mop would upset Charles.  Don't for one moment, think we've forgotten what you're dealing with.

I'm sorry to have monopolized the front porch for these past days - just had to get my thoughts down to help me get things in order and to get more ideas of how to proceed.   It's almost over and will be by the end of the week.  We're always happy to hear from you - hope Lou is doing better today.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lorita, I hope you are able to get a little rest now, you have been going so much lately. Please dont misunderstand my previous post, in no way was I saying you were monopolizing the front porch. I am physically and mentally stressed right now and guess I worded things wrong. I'm guessing the trip and my sister coming often is having more of a effect on me than Lou. Being able to have companionship with others again after 8 years is working opposite on me than it should. I'm feeling more alone knowing that this new experence is short lived. Also, Lou's condition has gotten worse since the trip and I'm having a self pity party going on. I'm probably not making any since so will stop.

Ron 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I see light at the end of the tunnel Lorita, once he is at the ALF, that is it for your guidance need and you can then get some rest.  Just one more day. 

Ron; hello dear fellow, I am sorry for what is happening.  When a LO has reached a certain state, any change can cause upset for a person with dementia and that can last for some time.    Lou was just in  different settings she was unfamiliar with and there were all sorts of confusing activities, people and other things going on around her . . . this can be a recipe for delirium.  Hyperactive delirium can be caused by such changes to a LOs routine and will often show up with irritability, agitation, refusal to cooperate, etc. Also, perhaps she may have developed another UTI.

If there is some delrium due to the trip, just keep her environment quiet, without too many changes and lighting appropriate for time of day.  Routine and structure would be her best friends right now.  It may take some time for her to get over the behaviors and get settled again.  It may be that she has had her last trip if it is the cause of such unsettlement.

If she does not improve or if she gets worse, may be a good idea to see the doctor and eliminate any physical causes for the changes. 

Ron - you are a dear, sociable man - you have just experienced how much you miss having time of your own; a bit of freedom to go out to a meal with a friend or just good conversation and laughter with others.   Perhaps it is time to re-examine where you are at and decide if some changes need to be made.  Unto everything there is a season and you have been at the same "place" for so long and may have not realized the depth of effect that had been placed upon you.

Please do take your own needs seriously Ron; it is more than time.  You are a good and kind person; now, perhaps time to be good and kind to yourself too.

J.

• Lorita

Hi,

Just wanted to let you all know - the move is done.  They were able to get the chests and bedframe and moved it.  Jack said he couldn't see anything wrong with it - so he's happy.  Only one little glitch;  he called and said they were gone, then called back almost immediately and said he forgot to send his recliner!   I got on the phone and called them to let them know.  He called in a few minutes and said they came back and got it.  The movers told him it was a regular twin sized bed so a new mattress will fit.  We'll get that delivered tomorrow.  Oh, he paid the guys extra to get the chests and bed out.  It was worth it to him.

Now, the only thing left is getting his test in the morning, going by WM and then on the ALF.  I also have to get him to call and get his gas and water turned off.  No use to pay the minimum when no one is there.  I think it might bee good to leave a little nightlight on in the house for now.

Poor Jack, he was absolutely devastated that he had forgotten to send his recliner.  He was just so intent on getting everything else sent that he just forgot.  Felt sorry for him.

It's been really cool here today - in the mid to upper 50s until the sun came out - now in the mid 60s.  It was almost 100 in the SW part of the State.  They're in a terrible drought in western Oklahoma.  It's been about eight months since most of the Panhandle has had .25" of rain in one day.  Also just saw on the news about the awful fires they've having around Flagstaff and also in New Mexico.  When Charles and I went to the Grand Canyon we left our trailer in Flagstaff while we went to the Grand Canyon and Sedona.  Really a nice town. 

I'm hoping we don't have any rain tonight.  There's another cap so maybe we won't have storms.

Stormy has slept  most of the day - I've fed him a little bit twice and he took his pain pill (bigger than an M&M)  and one Amox - one more to go this evening.  He's almost back to his old self - every time I get up he raises his head and watches until I sit down again.  So glad to have him back home - things are back to normal.

Hoping everything will go well tomorrow.  His test is scheduled for 8:30 but need to be there earlier.  They said this test takes about 45 minutes - the one I had was only about 15 - wonder why the difference?

Ron, hope things are better this evening with Lou.  It'll just take some time for her to settle back into the routine you all have.  Sort of makes me worry about your planned trip to Florida.  And to boot - along with your Dallas trip we also had a full moon - not a good thing for alz. patients.

Hope you all enjoy the evening.  Just saw that the CDC is filing an appeal to overturn the judge's decision to discontinue masks on transportation.  How can one judge have the authority to overturn the CDC?  I also heard they were afraid this might undermine their authority.

I'm seeing the light, Jo!

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita,       This is wonderful the way this is all turning out. As Jo, said your seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. You are a wonderful friend to Jack and he could not have done any of this with out your help. It is very sweet of him when he tells you he appreciates all you are doing. The poor guy was probably so scared and being alone he had no idea what to do. 

Sounds like the furniture move turned out good and he got the bed and the dressers. You will probably be picking him up early tomorrow so if you see this just remember we are all going to be with you.  When you get home please relax take deep breaths and eat all the ice cream and cake you want. You are a very caring friend and Jack is so lucky to have you in his life.  

Sleep well tonight your both will be in my prayers. Hugs Zetta 

• Fairyland
    Fairyland Member Posts: 178
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Wow Lorita you are whirlwind looking after those poor “boys” (man and dog). Where would they be without a capable woman!?

I avidly enjoy or commiserate, as appropriate, with all that you regulars write here, but often can’t compose myself (or login, it’s a bit tricky on my old tablet).

Sooo much rain here today in extreme eastern Iowa, winter seems to have vice-like grip. My mom seems to be settling or at least resigned to her new assisted living. I met her there with a lady I have had to hire to take mom to her hospital checkups next month as I have to return home soon. Mum’s “buddy” they had sat next to her at her table since she move in, suddenly got moved, that was her news of the day. 

I had the Easter buffet lunch with mom at the facility and it was delicious, but this poor lady did not really seem capable enough for assisted living. No wonder mom is finding it hard to make friends. I was hoping they would put her with someone who would chat, or even show and encourage her how to I.e. get the facility bus to the shops etc. but most seem very dull and don’t do anything so adventurous.  I guess I was expecting too much of poorly elderly people!  So much for the photos in the brochure!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

54F, 12 C.  Rainy, windy.

Ron thinking of you and Lou.  

It is very wet here. Makes me feel behind but that is ok. Feel sorry for those in the drought situation.  Will just do what I can, when I can and that will be good enough. 

Lorita thinking of  you and Jack today.  So very nice how things have worked out.

Fairyland welcome to the porch.  Know what you are saying about the facility.  A friend of mine who was unable to live alone is at a facility.  She has improved so much since going there.  Frequently though she mentions how many are just out of it and how some of them have deteriorated so much since they have been there.  It really bothers her.  She has always liked to socialize and there isn’t as much of that as she would like.  

Made it to the farm and orchard yesterday.  Was able to get everyone eggs and apples.

Will find out more about my volunteer job today if nothing happens.

Take care everyone 

• ladyzetta

Good Morning,

Sara,   That was so sweet that your nephew got you a Easter Basket. I bet you enjoyed that. You will be a blessing to all the people you help. You are so busy taking care of a lot of people. We have a fresh fruit and veg stand in out little town I think it has opened up, its just a tent in a parking lot but they have so many things. 

Beth.  Sounds like your enjoying your stay in Houston. I have friends in Houston and they have not been too happy about the storms. Hopefully you have not been in any of those. That casket was beautiful.

Day.   I hope you get the promotion that you deserve and the hours you want. Working from home is hard and as you know you must be very dedicated. My daughter works from home and loves it. 

Marie.    You are in my prayers. Please take care of yourself and rest when ever time allows. 

Ron.    You and Lou are also in my prayers. I hope once things get back to normal for her as possible she will be easier for you to care for. I can imagine how confusing things might have  been for her I also don't like being around a lot of people. It was nice that you enjoyed breakfast with your friend. Hopefully you continue to do that. 

Lorita.     I am thinking about you and Jack. I am sure we all are right now. Your front porch family are waiting.  

Hugs to all, Zetta

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Dear Friends on the front porch,

Final services were yesterday for dear Dad.  The highlight of yesterday was the military honors at the grave site.  10 men from the local American Legion showed up and did the folding and presenting of the flag which was on the coffin, performed a 21 gun salute and played taps.  It was moving and beautiful.

After the service concluded the men "policed their brass" and presented the expended shells to the family.  They were shared among the immediate family.

We were able to order a very nice engraved flag case thru the funeral home and it is ready for pickup today.  Quick service.

Now the difficult time begins on trying to make sure all normal life services continue for Mother...utilities, credit cards, transfer of titles for house and vehicles, health insurance, etc.  Thankfully my son is executor and has a handle on at least what needs to be handled, but each entity has their own way of dealing with things.  It has been enlightening to know that regardless of how accounts were established does not necessarily mean just removing Dad's name.  At least son will have knowledge at the end of this on how to structure his own accounts so it will be easier for him and his wife when the time comes.

As with all things post covid, it is over 5 weeks to get appointment with probate court.  Some things can be accomplished before then, thank goodness.

Mother is doing as well as can be expected.  She insisted on going home alone, but my daughter and granddaughter are going there today.  She is blessed to have several wonderful neighbors to call on and who will be checking in with her.  Their local minister also said he will establish a calling tree with the membership to keep a check on how she is doing and to visit.

Life goes on with the help of family and friends.  I don't know how those without either of those manages.

Thank you all for your care and concern for me and my family during this difficult time.

Hugs and blessings in abundance to each of you,

Marie

• Jo C.

Dear Marie, it is lovely to know that the services went so well and was meaningful for the family.  Your mother is in good hands with so many different people looking out for her during this very difficult time of profound loss she is experiencing.   May all go well; you have a wonderful family that supports one another.

Lorita; you have been on my mind all morning.  I keep looking at the clock and translating it to Oklahoma time saying to myself,  "It is now such and such a time; Lorita must be leaving to pick up Jack . . . now it is another time and she must be here, there, and on and on. " I so hope all is going or has gone well for you.

The big miracle in all of this, is that Jack finally put out his hand for the help that was being offered,  the second is that he was accepted into the ALF so quickly; and then the next miracle was that the movers were able to rescue the dressers and bed frame from the hoarding mess and take them to the ALF; and the next miracle was that they had time to go back and get the recliner that Jack had forgotten to have them put on the truck.  Jack has been so lucky, I think he needs to by a lottery ticket!

Now the efforts are successfully set into place.  You can at last breathe a sigh of relief.   It is over.  I agree that you should do whatever it is to treat yourself.  Perhaps simply having a "lazy" day with putting your feet up and watching a good TV program that you like while treating yourself to some yummy goodies that comfort and taste SO good.

This has been quite a venture that gained energy like a run-away steam roller as things evolved; but there at the head of it making it come to fruition, was a very compassionate woman who made this all possible and in reality actually saved the life of a very elderly man who would have soon lost that life if things had stayed the same.   Still is sad to realize he had gone ten days without having solid food due to lack of mobility, weakness and depression, and who was resigned to dying in his chair.  Then the angels whispered and Lorita extended her hand; the rest is now history.

Will be hopeful that this turns out to be a story with a happy ending in that Jack adapts and enjoys his new safe place and makes new friends.  Time will tell.

You are truly an amazing person and a force to be reckoned with when there is a concerning need to be dealt with whether it is for a person or an animal.   May you have many blessings find you, both large and small.  It is an honor to know you as we are able to do.

((((Lorita))))

J.

• Jo C.
    P.S.   As for shutting off the water and gas to Jack's house, you may want to call the city and ask if that can be done.   Some cities do not permit the water to be turned off so it is accessible should there be an emergency.  As it is; if one shuts off the utilities, when they need to be turned back on again, there is usually a deposit to be paid to get it turned on again. Wonder . . . . did you notice if Jack's yard was overgrown with high weeds?  If so, his attorney may be able to secure a lawn mowing group to keep things cut so that the city does not bring a penalty.  Not your responsibility;  the attorney can help find someone to do such management tasks or who can reach out to do so as the daughter is out of state and it sounds as though she may not be competent or sufficiently stable to have to try to manage. In any case, just wanted to mention the water thing as you had talked about having the water shut off.  Just good to check; the rest of course is not your resposibility. If the attorney gets contacted, he probably also needs to update Jack's medical and financial DPOAs and his Will or Trust if he has one.  This can be mentioned to him so he can call his attorney himself.    Little by little he will get his ducks in a row.  There will be some things that can be assisted by ALF staff, especially if they have a social worker. J.
  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Marie, I'm glad your dad's funeral went so well and the military honors is always good. I have applied and been approved for burial at the Louisiana northwest veterans cemetery. Lou and I both will be buried there and I will have military honors. It is beautifully kept and I feel honored to be in a final resting place with my veteran brothers.

Ron

• Jo C.

Tis 4:30 pm in Oklahoma, has anyone heard from Lorita?

Perhaps resting up after a very busy day.

J.

• ladyzetta
    I imagine she is probably helping Jack get his apt all set up and helping him put things away. I hope she gets home soon. Z
  • Lorita

Hi,

Welcome to the front porch, Fairyland.  Glad you decided to join us and that your mother is settling into the ALF and becoming used to it.  Hoping Jack can do the same.

Marie - so nice that the services for your dad went well.  We had the flag folding for Charles and the gun salute, too.  I hadn't noticed they  had tucked the spent cartridges into one corner of his flag after it was folded but Patsy did and told me.  I bought a wooden flag holder/box and have his flag in it.  I think military type funerals are so moving.  I hope your mother continues to do well.  I know how hard it is to lose your dad - I still miss mine after 27 years.

Tomorrow would have been Charles and my 50th anniversary.  How fast the time has gone - still remember every bit of that day we got married.

The move is complete - or will be when the mattress and box springs are delivered tomorrow.  I thought it best to give him a night and part of the day to sort of straighten up.

I left home just before 8 and got home at 1:30 - exhausted so I changed clothes and have just been sitting.  Now, I'm leaning against a heating pad - back hurts.

When I got there I took things of his little refrigerator and put them in an insulated bag, then put the other things in the car.  He locked up the house, said goodbye to Patsy, his mom and Zelda and we were gone.  The house wasn't nearly as bad as I thought but I was only in the kitchen and LR.  Looked like Patsy had done a good job decorating - pretty plates over the cabinets and pictures on the walls.  I wish he had wanted to take a picture or two but he didn't.

Then, on to WM. You've never lived until you've shopped with an 86 year old man  driving an electric cart.  I shouldn't say that - he did very well.  We did get lost from each other once and I was called "Jack" and he was calling "Dixie" but we finally got back together.  We got everything on his list except a little radio, earphones and a DVD disc of the Bible (he lost his). 

After that we got his covid test - only took a short time and it was negative.  Then we stopped by McDonalds for a vanilla milkshake for him.  He loves those.  When we got to town we drove by the furniture store I had talked with about his mattress so we stopped and he selected one, paid for it and it will be delivered tomorrow.

One of the ALF employees brought his things in from the car - so glad of that because with all the walking and lifting I was tired.  His room is very nice - all of the things delivered yesterday were there.  I' m so glad he wanted to keep the chests and bedframe.  The two chests are five or six drawer - lingerie chests, I believe and they look like walnut - very pretty.  The bed is beautiful with a headboard and footboard.  The furniture man said the mattress set should fit just fine.

Everyone was very friendly, the place was sparkling clean and everyone was ready to help.  His room is down a long hallway which he really doesn't like - but all of them are.  He has a little patio he can sit on outside his room, big walk-in shower - the bath and big closet is combined.  He has a microwave and refrigerator and sink - all meals provided and will be brought to his room for the next five days.  After that he'll go to the dining room.

When I left he was sitting in his recliner, after he hugged and thanked me over and over.  I think he'll do just fine after he settles in.  It'll be a big change in his life style but a much better change.

So, I'm happy with the way the day went.  I know he's worn out, too.  He did quite a bit of walking.  He bought a couple of sets of new clothes so with what he brought he'll have plenty.  The laundryroom is just down the hall from his room but they'll do the laundry.  There's a big, really nice open area where they can watch TV or play board games or just visit and a beautiful dining room.  I've had two friends who lived there and both of them liked it.

I'll call tomorrow and have them deliver the mattress set.  We did forget a shower curtain.  There's a couple of things I need to order to be delivered to him and he'll be set.

Very productive but tiring day.  Stormy and Sheena were very happy to see me when I got home - Stormy cried and cried.  They're both happy now and sound asleep.  His foot seems to be doing well - no limp at  all. 

Sorry I took so long to post - just had to rest a bit.  When we were almost there he said he thought he'd sleep well tonight - I know I will.

They have a very pretty house - reddish-brown brick with dark brown trim and they have a gazebo in their side yard - really pretty.  I can only imagine how hard it must have been for him to make the decision to leave - but, as he told me, he had to - it was time.

So, again, thanks to each of you for your concern and help in getting this accomplished for Jack.  He's beginning a new chapter of his life now and I know all of us wish it's a happy one.

Ron, we have a National Cemetery in the town that has the VA Medical Center, Regional Office and Call Center - not in the town but in the oldest town in Oklahoma which is only about six miles away.  It's beautiful - when we go there I recognize some of the names of veterans who were patients on the ward where I worked.  The National Cemeteries are beautiful places to be laid to rest.  Our family plot is just down the road from it - it's a very, very old, Indian cemetery that was given to the town many years ago.  Chief John Ross is buried there.

• Jo C.
    Well hello, Fairyland and yes; a big warm welcome to the Front Porch where we all just sit and talk about what is going on in our ordinary lives.   Weather on the Front Porch is always lovely and fair, no matter what the weatherman says.  We each have a rocking chair that fits all size backsides, so everyone can have a relaxing time.   Sorry to hear about your mother's tablemate.  I had to request more than once that they seat my mother at a table with others who functioned at her more high  level.  They finally got it.  It made a difference for her and she even ate better.  Lorita, so glad all went well.    Thank you for dropping by even though you are exhausted from a very, very busy day.   Was thinking about you and whether it was raining and if it was, wondering how the country roads were and if the car was okay.   So thank you again.  You know how we worry about you if we don't hear.  You have us all spoiled. As for Jack; it sounds as though everything went great.  The ALF sounds lovely; even though he is isolated right now, he will still see staff and soon will get acclimated.  Wonderful that he has a little microwave and sink as well as the refrigerator.   That will give him freedom for snacks as the spirit and appetite move him. Gosh; even a small outside area of his own.  That is great.  Laughed out loud when I read about trying to follow Jack around WalMart with him on the electric cart . . . probably first time in a store for him in a long time.  I could just see him zooming around in my minds eye. Still smiling.  Shower curtain and shower curtain hangers - none of us thought of that, but easily sent to him.   You have done it!!  He's in!!  You sure moved mountains in a very short period of time.  Whew! Good that the movers were able to get the dressers and bed . . . sounds really nice and it will be reminders of home.  Glad that worked out in the positive.    Not much going on here; a little rain tonight and maybe in the early a.m.  Sure do need it.  We go for our second COVID Boosters tomorrow afternoon; it has been six months since our first.  Moderna and Pfizer are working to tweak the vaccines to better cover and last longer, so here's hoping by fall, (which is their goal), that they are able to do that. Poor Stormy; how is the foot doing?  I always wished that the dogs could talk to us and tell us what they are feeling.  Bet you need a few days to recoup after all the running around; it also must have been a bit stressful.  I'm sorry your back is huring.  Thank you for all you do; as has been said, you have earned your wings. Ron; I have been wondering how it is going today with Lou.  Hope she has simmered down a bit for you.  Takes awhile after having been on a trip as she has where all was up in the air - she will need to re-acclimate.  If no improvement or worsening, may want to have her checked for a UTI. Hope your orienation to your new Volunteer job went well today Sayra; they are fortunate to have you, the patients will surely benefit. Day; have you heard anything about the promotion yet?  Sure hope it comes through and on the shift you want.  Fingers crossed for you - but it certainly does make it hard to type.  Ha! Well; did get that haircut, but what the beautician (misnomer) does, I cannot figure out.  As said before, she asks how much cut off; I tell her and she ignores it and goes through my head like a lawn mower on steroids.  It is SO short and since I let it go gray during the pandemic, I truly do now look like a dessicated dandelion gone to seed.  It will grow, but I will be flinching when I look in the mirror for awhile. Cannot figure out why it takes longer for the short hair to be blown out after washing than it did when it was down to my shoulders.   At least it a whole lot easier to rinse after washing it.   DH has had the same barber for 30 years!   Amazing, but he is beginning to make noises about retirement; he sure will be missed.  Perhaps he will keep a couple of is long time customers privately; we shall see.  An entire industry just for hair - think about it.  What did cavemen do?  Now I'm laughing again at the mental picture. Five fifteen here, time to get to putting dinner together.   Will be something from the freezer tonight with a veg and some fruit.  Neither of us wants to cook.  Frankly, neither of us wants to much at all anymore - used to do it with gusto - one more sign of getting more "mature."  Sleep well tonight everyone, and especially our Lorita, J.
  • Lorita

Hi again,

I called Jack about 7:30 to see how he was doing.  He said he had been sleeping this afternoon.  I doubt he's slept much the last couple of nights - or more.  He said he had his supper - asked him what it was and he said noodles and carrots.  He said he ate all of it.  I'll call in the morning and have them deliver his mattress and box springs at 10 when they start deliveries.  I'm hoping one of the aides will help him put on the cover, pad and sheets. 

Jo, he's been going into town until the last couple of weeks - to WM. I don't know if he was riding one of the carts though.  The aisles aren't very wide between the clothing racks and he was sideswiping them.

Stormy's foot seems okay or at least better.  He's on antibiotics and a pain pill for the next few days.  Really wish I knew how he cut his foot - need to get that out of the yard.

The roads are horrible.  I told Carol I can't remember them being this bad except when I was in school and the bus would get stuck.  The car did fine - just the 2-3 miles of muddy roads to get to the highway - but, longway around.  Our driveway is getting worse about halfway down so guess I need to call David to see about gravel - but he can't do anything until it dries up and the weatherman said we may have 3-4" of rain Sunday and Monday.  Just wish they could get some west of here.

Day, when will you know about your promotion?  Keeping fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Sara - did you say the woman who has the aracana eggs leaves them at the end of her driveway and sells on the honor system?

Zetta - still haven't gotten those eggs boiled and colored.  Maybe I can get that done this weekend.  Have you had any more snow?  The weather is really strange this spring.  It was in the low 80s here today and the humidity must have been 95% - very uncomfortable - too early for that much heat.

Sleep well tonight - tomorrow's another day.

• Mint

Good morning 

42F, 6C.  Not giving rain til tonight. Maybe I can work outside a little today.

Lorita hope you have a nice day, full of good memories.  Know it is a special day for you.

Zetta I am enjoying my Easter basket.  He put a lot of candy in it.  Will be enjoying it for awhile.

Lorita she does sell the eggs on honor system.  Know she had trouble last year with someone not being honorable.  It was discouraging to her.  Said she had to remember though how many nice people she had met.  

Lorita you will need to rest a few days now, mission accomplished.  Jacks new place sounds nice.  So glad the lady realized that would be better for Jack than a NH.  

Went to hospital yesterday.  She talked a bit, took me on a tour, met the guy I’ll be working with ( who is in a scooter).  He isn’t real old, doubt if he is much older than me.  The hospital is really small.  Think I will learn where everything is pretty quick.  She emailed me a packet of stuff to read and I have done that as fairly familiar.  Now she will set up a time for me to go in and get my badge made and a vest.  So hopefully soon I will get started. 

My paternal grandma made a lot of quilts. When one of my uncle’s remarried she made them a quilt and pillows.    Apparently grandma got too ill to finish all of it, my aunt may have had to finish the quilt, I’m not sure.    Anyway my Aunt passed away not too long ago.  Her daughter asked us if any of us wanted them.  My sister took them.  Both of her boys are living on their own now.  She had a bed frame that was my mom and dads.  It matches the chest and dresser she had.  Has a real old stand that was her husband’s mom’s.  She is using the quilt and pillows in there too.  The pillow were not completely finished.  So I brought them home and finishing them.  It is just sort of neat to me that I’m finishing something my grandma started.  My sister is enjoying furnishing the room with memories.

Take care everyone

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello friends,

I have been "away" on a respite break and just catching up with myself and everyone here. Congratulations on such wonderful accomplishments for, and with, Jack. Lorita, you are truly such a special person. We need many more like you, on this earth. 

Exciting to hear about the new starts for folks: 

Sayra I hope your volunteer work is very rewarding. And Day, I do hope you get the promotion.

Jfkoc - Frango mints are the best! Is it Fannie May that still provides them?

Marie and Nicole - sending prayers for precious memories and peace to you and yours.

Zetta and Beth - I am taking notes on your family visits and the example you set of being willing to step away from home base sometimes, to celebrate and reconnect. It is so easy to be isolated and overloaded when caregiving. I appreciate the examples from this forum. Its a reminder to keep living.

Jo C and all - If I ever move again I will hire you all as virtual coordinators! Well done

Ron - my DH is. a little off center right now too. I will start noting the full moon. Hang in there.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Friday and wonderful weekend! 

• Lorita

Morning,

Sara, it's already 70 degrees here and so humid - feels like early summer - and it's windy, too.  Just came in from feeding Tom-Tom and while I was out saw Toad coming to feed the girls - all of them were already behind the barn, getting ready.  I did see a young heifer coming across the pond dump and two of the little ones running behind her.  They're so cute when they run with their little tales high in the air.

Today the wrap comes off Stormy's foot - wondering how that'll go.  The GPs have already been outside and are inside now.  All of us slept through the night.  I watch Barny Miller from 11-12 and I went to sleep watching - when I woke up, something else was on, so turned off the TV and went back to sleep - didn't wake up until 7.

Sara - I think it's wonderful that you're getting to finish something your grandma made - how great that is.  I think people used to make lots of quilts - know my grandma and mother did.  I'm not sure where they are  - maybe in the deep freeze out in the storage building.  I remember when I was five laying underneath and looking at a quilt mother had made.  It was Dutch Boy and Dutch Girl pattern.  She had made the dresses out of remnants from dresses she'd made for my sister and I.  I hope it's out there but no way to get to it.  I've never made a quilt - did make a cover for a pillow once - don't remember the pattern, probably wasn't one, just pieces of material.

I bet you're excited about your volunteer work.  I think you'll be great at that and will enjoy helping others.  

What does that woman do about the eggs in the summertime - couldn't leave them out in the sun for very long.  Have you ever seen her chickens? - not sure if they look different or not.

Butterfly, good to see your post and that you're back from your respite.  Hope all's going well.

I haven't called jack this morning and he hasn't called.  I imagine he'll be seeing the admissions woman this morning and getting oriented with the rules and regulations.  Last night he said he no one had been to talk with him yet about what is going to happen.  I hope he slept through the night.  Tonight he'll have his bed to sleep in - so glad of that - it's been along time since he's slept in a bed. 

There's all kinds of storage places in his apartment - big closet with cubbies to put sweaters and things he doesn't want to hang - this combined with his bathroom - lot of room in there.  Thanks, Jo, for mentioning shower curtain rings - hadn't thought of that.  He said he didn't care about the little patio but I bet he sits out there or at least looks out.  Not much if I remember correctly to see though but fresh air will be good.  He has his own thermostat so he can regulate the heat or air.  I know Mrs. Newlin enjoyed her apartment and living there.  She was way up in her 70s, maybe 80, and she'd talk about the "little, old people" who lived there.  She did not include herself.  Her husband looked like Santa Claus with a long, white beard. Sweetest little people.

I've been wondering about his covid test.  I asked the girl who did it how long it'd take and she said 30 minutes but by the time we got up and walked back to the waiting area it was finished and a copy made for him.  So that would be not more than five minutes if that long.  I did read about a new 5 minute test by Abbott.  Surely an urgent care place would do a valid test.  The one I had last week took about ten minutes - at another urgent care. I can't believe there's two urgent cares and a Health and Wellness place plus one doctor in that little town but there is.

I'm still a bit tired this morning - glad I don't have to go anywhere today.  That was the first time I'd been in WM for probably three years - and it might be that long before I go again.  We weren't close to anyone except the one clerk who helped us find the pants he was looking for and the checkout person.  I tried to keep a mask on him but it kept coming down - it was a KN95 so he could breath better.  No masks in WM or Urgent Care but the personnel at the ALF were wearing masks - residents were neot.

I sort of wish Jack had wanted to take a couple of pictures to hang from his home.  There was one picture of his granddaughter (only grandchild) hanging on the wall - I asked him who it was and if he wanted to take it - he didn't.  Maybe he wants a clean break from all of that - don't know. 

Glad that's done and that all goes well for him.  Not even going to think about doing anything or even mention it to him until he's settled in and doing better - no hurry.  There are houses  all around so surely if anything went wrong the neighbors would call the Sheriff.

Hope everyone is well this morning.  Ron, maybe by now Lou is beginning to get back to her normal.  Those full moons can really upset them.  I remember in the past there was lots of talk about full moons - we didn't even have to check the calendar because we could tell from their actions when the moon was full. 

Enjoy the day.  I had told Carol and Sandy I was going to make a peach cobbler and eat all of it but I've changed my mind.  I'll make it but only eat one, or two, servings.  They are sooooo good.

• loveskitties

Lorita, so very glad all went well with Jack's move.  Hopefully by the time the 5 days are up he will be feeling like getting out and meeting new friends.   Remind him that if the sun is out he should spend some time on his patio...vitamin D and the light are good boosters for our mental self.

Everyone here seems to be so busy with life.  I need to get myself back to doing more.  Like Lorita, I do a lot of ordering on-line rather than store shopping.  I have so very many nice boxes...lol.  I will have to break them down and bundle them so can save for Mother as she works thru weeding out things at her house.  She put things like that off when dad was there because it upset him.

Ron, I have been to a number of VA cemeteries in various states and overseas.  They have always been wonderfully cared for.  That is at least one area where our veterans have been honored.

Just had a call from Mother, seems like one of the relatives at the funeral on Wed. has tested positive for covid.  He knew he had been exposed earlier and he still made it a point of coming.  Always something!  None of us were around him much or closely but now will have to wait and see.  Mother has had shot and booster.  Told her to call her PCP to see how she should proceed.  I am fully vaxed as well.  I do worry about the elderly who were at the funeral.  Just can't understand how someone could be so uncaring about the health of others!

Will close for now as have phone calls to make about the situation.

• Lorita

Marie,

I can't understand people either - he should have stayed home or at least worn a mask and stayed away from people - maybe it will be all right.

I hate to throw away boxes, too, but I have to because with ordering online they pile up.  I order from Chewy and their boxes are heavy because they have cat and dog food in them. 

I just talked to Jack for a minute - he said he slept through the night and is going to sleep some more this morning.  Said he had a nice breakfast - oatmeal, scrambled eggs, pancakes, milk, juice and coffee and he ate all of it, he said.  I left him a couple of small LocknLock containers so if there's something on his tray he likes but can't finish he can put it in one of them and in his refrigerator to eat later.  He said he still hasn't seen anyone except the people who pop in to give meds, etc.  The admissions woman was gone yesterday but I'm sure she'll see him today.  So, sounds like he's doing okay - at least he's relaxed about finding something to eat and remembering to take his meds.  Told him they'd deliver his mattress after 11 this morning.  I hope someone will help him make up his bed - that's pretty hard to do.

I was still a bit concerned about his covid test so called and he was given a rapid antigen test which, she said, doesn't take long at all - just long enough for the specimen to go through the testing liquid.  He had a slight temp - 99.2 I think.  The allergens are so awful right now - it's a wonder everyone isn't coughing and sneezing.

Marie, it was worth every minute of all I did if Jack can be happier and well cared for.  I think I mentioned a while back that Mike had done something really nice for me  and I was thanking him and he said "everyone needs a little help sometimes - maybe some time I'll need your help".  So true.

Getting ready to do some laundry - I think - maybe just take it easy today.  Everyone except me is already asleep again.

Just thought everyone would like to know how Jack made the night.

• Mint

Thank you for letting us know how Jack’s night went.

Butterfly hope you have a nice weekend too.  

Remember seeing the Dutch Boy and Dutch Girl quilts.  Would like to make a pot holder from a block.  Doubt if I’ll ever get around to it though.

Patio would probably be my favorite spot.

She has the eggs in a cooler with two ice packs.  They have been fine, had one this morning.

Sorry someone felt it was ok to expose all of you Marie.   I know a man who has long Covid from just such actions of a relative.  Came to a holiday knowing they were sick.  

Lorita here would be my own take on Jack’s Covid test.  If they tell you five minutes and they get held up a bit some people get mad because weren’t  done in five minutes.  If they tell you 30 minutes and it takes 5 then you will be happy.  

Take care

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Frango Mints...more than anyone wouldwant to know...lol. No mention of Fannie May but a lot about how we felt about Macy's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frango

My gift was from Chicago!!!

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments

Hi all,  it’s been a while since I’ve posted.  Time seems to go by quickly but not really much to post about.  So happy that everything went so well getting Jack settled.  It sounds like it will be a good fit for him.  Good job Dixie.  You have definitely earned your wings.  Good news about Zelda also.  I know anniversaries are difficult, last month would have been 60, Rich only made it to 54.

I went with my son to UPS to return the heart monitor I wore this week.  He treated me to a Dairy Queen sundae on the way home.  Rich always loved to stop at Dairy Queen and we did often.  The promise of ice cream would distract him when needed.  I couldn’t go back after he died.  To many memories.

Well, the wildlife count is going up here in Virginia.  I’ve seen deer, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs and one black bear.  The bear did destroy our bird feeders, they are close to the house so we are hesitant about putting the suet with nuts and berries back out.  The bear took it with the suet feeder along with him. We did have 3 runaway cows in the paddock.  The owner was chasing after them.  They spent the night in order to calm down.  He brought his trailer to pick them up next morning.  That’s about as exciting as it gets around here.  We now have 6 chickens, they just were put in their new coop today.  Correction, we have 5 chickens an maybe 1 rooster.  Glad they are on the other side of the house.

My 4 granddaughters will be here for part of the summer, first one will arrive next week from Michigan, then Illinois, Vermont and finally the one studying in Ireland in June.  They are already asking when the pool will be opened. It will liven things up here.

Judith, I’d forgotten about the Frango mints.  Always a treat when shopping at Fields.  Was pleased that Macys kept them.

Marie, I’m sorry about your Dad, every loss is so difficult.

Sara, I wish I had the energy to has a garden, I’m hopeful we will have one this summer.  One of my granddaughters is studying earth science and wants to plant a large flower garden complete with greenhouse.  Not sure that will happen. 

Zetta, I hope your snow is over for now.  Are you planning any pet sitting?

Ron, I hope things are smoothing out with Lou.  I remember those full moon days all to well.  I’m glad you have your sister to give you a little break occasionally.

Joan, I envy your hiking abilities.  It’s so hilly here that once I got to the bottom, I don’t think I could make it back up.  It’s nice you’re grandchildren keep you busy too.

Jo, I hope you’re husband’s eye is healing well.  It’s alway a pleasure to read what you post, there is always a chuckle within.

Take care everyone, have a pleasant day.

Sandy 

• loveskitties

I haven't seen Iris post in a while.

Anyone had contact with her? 

Hope she is just too busy enjoying life and everything is ok.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Marie, sorry you had a relative with Covid come to the service. I sincerely hope he didn't spread it to others there.

Lorita, you did a great job helping Jack! I know he appreciates you greatly.

Sandy, good to hear from you. Sounds like you are enjoying your new home.

We're back from Houston. Grass is getting very green. We've had an inch of rain today and it was needed and appreciated. Still on the cool side but the lettuce seeds in the garden have begun to sprout.

• loveskitties
    somehow Lorita's most recent post got attached to a much earlier thread.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more