Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (183)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good evening

Lorita I have never made butternut squash soup.  Have eaten very few butternut’s, don’t like messing with their rind.

You are definitely staying busy with things to take care of.  Know you would like to rest.

Was a beautiful sunny day.  Drove to orchard and got apples.  Giving dark cloudy days for awhile starting tomorrow.  Thankful for the couple of sunny ones we had. 

Cleaned house today.  Made some pinto beans, macaroni & tomato, cornbread.  Had a briar hopper supper.  

Oh I tried hibiscus tea.  Not so good to me.  Kind of tasted like perfume to me.  Will see if I can get through the rest.  Might make tomorrow and  add  little lemon juice.  Maybe that will mask the taste of perfume as it is not that strong.  Wouldn’t have been able to drink it if was strong.  Think actually it was more you could just smell it rather than taste it.

Take care everyone

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All.

Sara.  I bet your house always smells good with all the baking you do. Be careful with that frost on the ground it can be very slippery. 

Rescue Mom.  Iam sorry you're still having to deal with repairs due to that hurricane. It sounds like a lot to do. I hope you're comfortable and warm in your home. 

Jo.  I also am hoping for a milder winter, our winters have been pretty bad with lots of snow. So far, the snow has not been that bad. Molly lovers her run area. A few years ago, my son shoveled out a maze she could run in she loved that.    My daughter and her husband and I went to Poland a few years ago and we had continual breakfast served everyplace we stayed. Every breakfast had blood sausage, there was no way I was going to eat any of that. We had a lot of cheeses, crackers, breads, fruits, eggs and many different types of meats, so it was not hard passing up on the blood sausage. Their breakfast in that country was a feast. This was all on a buffet table with many different types of teas.

Lorita. Iam still watching Gunsmoke every day 4 episodes each day. It's pretty much for background noise, I have seen these over and over. Your probably enjoying Yellowstone. Thats on too late for me. 

Take care all and have a wonderful week. Hugs Zetta 

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi,

Zetta,  I hope all of us have a mild winter - we just  need rain and it looks like we may get up to 2" this week.  I hope the work can get finished first.  

I'm watching some Gunsmokes and some Rawhides but I think I've seen all of them a couple of times.  Do you get Leave it to Beaver?  I've been watching that and it's a really cute show.  It floors me though that the mother on the show wears dresses, heels and jewelry every day.  She's always cooking or dusting.  But I think all of the family shows back in the 60s showed them dressing like that.  

I watched another Walton's show tonight - with different characters.  It was about John's homecoming when he was working away from home.  They made some changes but still about the same.  I'm wondering if they're going ot make a series of that - makes two shows.  There was an advertisement that the original Waltons is on METV but Directv doesn't have that channel.  About Yellowstone - on our channel each week it shows the last week's show before the new one.  Maybe that would be early enough for you to watch.

Sara - I've never tried hibiscus tea.  Kind of stick to orange peko and peko black or straight black.  I have a box of Red Zinger, Carrington Tea and some kind of peach tea.  There's a place where we used to go for lunch sometimes when I was working and even after that had peach and raspberry tea. 

Glad you got your apples - what kind were they and what will you do with them?  My favorite kind if Braeburn. In fact, I think I have four or five iand should make some applesauce with them before they go back.   

I've never had butternut squash soup either but I saw David on QVC  making it yesterday and it looked really good - it has potatoes in it.  

It's been a busy afternoon. Three guhs came about 2 - one pretty slender young man and the other two.  The young man went under the house first and came back out in a hurry - there were big spiders under there, he said.  Turns out they were brown recluse.  Then Luis and he went back under.  The other man is 6'4" so he didn't even think about it - said he doesn't do under houses.  

They've decided there isn't nearly enough support under part of the bedroom, kitchen and about 3 ft. into the dining room - it all slopes toward the center.  Took them some time but looks like they figured out what to do to give it support.  I don't know how it lasted almost 120 years.  I couldn't even tell the floor was sloping - toward the wall between the kitchen and dining room.  Guess it happened so gradually I didn't notice it.  Doesn't seem like it's going to take more than a couple of days if the weather holds.  They can make the set of doors and five shutters for the barn and then do the house.  I think all of it can be done from under the house.  I do hope so.  The house used to have a back porch but my parents added some on the roof and made it into the big utility room so there's a brick partition between it and the house.  In 1960 they added on two rooms on the south so there's another brick partition between those rooms and the house. Makes it kind of hard to get around under there - I'm told.  No way could I go under a house.  He also said they would send one of their guys over to Darwins and finish his and mine in a couple of days.

By the time they left and I came into the house my back was really hurting from walking and standing up so long.  Did make a couple of trips up to see the girls and one to the mailbox.  When I came back from one of the trips to see the girls I didn't get the gate into the front pasture closed in time and one of the girls came through.  Thought she looked like Annie, Susie's mom.  She's sort of thin so gave her some hay.  She ate some, then disappeared - then I heard a baby giving it heck.  You can tell by the sound if it's a little baby.  Went out and it was Susie.  Her mother was in the little paddock west of the house and she was by the fence calling her.  So went out and Annie came through and went into the garden - called Susie and she ran to her for supper.  Amazing how they take care of their babies and each is able to distinguish their mother's or the baby's voices.

Stormy was really watchful of the men when they were in the house (I wore a mask).  He really doesn't like for anyone to be in the house - or yard for that matter.

I'll be so glad to have this done - doubt it will be inexpensive but it has to be done.  Maybe after this and getting the barn electricity back on things will settle down.  It's been a busy and expensive year.  Glad Charles is still taking care of me.

Watching the rodeo again tonight.  This is the 5th night and I think there's three or four more.  

Day, Garolyne is on for two hours in the morning.  Just isn't the same when they're not together.  He should only do shows with her.

Going to watch bullriding and go to bed.  I usually try to watch Barney Miller then but most often go to sleep before it's over.  

Sleep well tonight - see you all tomorrow.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, Red Zinger tea has hibiscus in it.  It tastes good to me, not sweet, you have to get used to the taste. 

People are so infatuated with animals here, that we have Happy Howlidays at the Animal Care Center, hoping that more animals get adopted.  Tonight was tree-lighting night downtown, with lots of seasonal festivities.

Iris

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Sayra, I agree with hibiscus tea tasting like perfume - and I think the scent has a lot to do with that.

Day off today - taking Chucky to have his mouth looked at to make sure he's healing.  That'll just be 15 minutes or so.  Nothing else really planned.

Rescue Mom, I just don't get FEMA - there has been VERY little FEMA support for the people who were impacted by that hurricane and no real news coverage other than the initial stories.  Not trying to be political, but I believe that before we send billions of dollars out all over the world we should be helping our own people with what they need.  I believe they're blaming the trailer situation on "supply chain" issues but FEMA should have been stockpiling trailers between storms, before and after the pandemic.  Always such poor planning!
  • dayn2nite2
    Iris L. wrote:

Lorita, Red Zinger tea has hibiscus in it.  It tastes good to me, not sweet, you have to get used to the taste. 

People are so infatuated with animals here, that we have Happy Howldays at the Animal Care Center, hoping that more animals get adopted.  Tonight was tree-lighting night downtown, with lots of seasonal festivities.

Iris

Iris, I love to hear the creative names for the fundraisers the rescue organizations have.  We have one locally to me that is called "Yappy Hour" and it happens at an estate in our area.

I have started supporting Chucky's shelter - going there to adopt him really made me see the difference between shelters in the more rural parts of Michigan.  They have a building the size of a 2-bedroom house and some support from some organizations and not too much else.  
  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 840
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Just a quick note. We have two grandchildren's music concerts this week, and one next week. Also having friends over for dinner and Christmas gifts on Friday so it'll be a busy week. 

I got a new book to read, "The Queen Her Life" by Andrew Morton. I enjoy royal-watching, especially Catherine in her beautiful clothing and jewelry. She is a very fine Princess of Wales. I think Diana would have been happy and proud that William married her.

Lorita, I also like "Leave it to Beaver." I bought Season 5 on Amazon Prime. The seasons back then for shows were a lot longer; this one has 25 episodes. I watched the Richard and the laundromat episode recently; had me laughing out loud. 

I like tea, but I like coffee more. I have a very good peach herbal tea, Celestial Seasons, I think. I drink jasmine green tea and various black teas. Tea is healthy,  My grandma drank Lipton green tea a few cups a day, and she lived to be 100. 

Have a good week!       Beth

• Iris L.

I have "eggnog" tea--it is black tea with eggnog flavoring.  It doesn't really tast like eggnog, but I purchased a whole box so I'm going to finish it.

Day, I amended my post above to read Happy Howlidays.  The pet food stores have pet photos with Santa.  I took one of my cats one year, he looked so tiny next to the big red Santa.

Some of the animal shelters apparently have staff and volunteer shortages, because that's what I read in the newspaper.   But my shelter seems to be fully staffed. 

Lorita, brown recluse spiders are dangerous if they bite you, but you probably already knew that.

I have a question for everyone.  I play bunco with a nice group of ladies.  We will have our annual dinner next week, and the ladies exchange small gifts.  Some of the gifts are homemade cookies or other baked goods, but I won't be baking. I'm thinking of making up packets of nuts and packets of teas.  I think the bakers will appreciate nuts.  What do you think?  No one wants knick-knacks.

Iris

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,215
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lou and I are fine!

Ron

• dayn2nite2
    Chucky's mouth is great - healing well.  We discussed his weight and he actually is not "obese" but "overweight"  BUT he gained 4 ounces in the past 2 weeks so discussed trying a prescription dog food.  The doctor who knows him best wasn't in so they will get with her tomorrow and she'll call me.

• Mint

Dark, cloudy day, no rain 

Lorita bought Fuji.  They are my favorite.  Just plan on eating them raw for right now.

Hope everyone has a good night.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Iris, I think your idea of nuts and/or teas is a good one.  You could add a small candy cane to "stir" the tea.

Hope you enjoy your party!

• Lorita

Hi,

Can't write much because I'm on the laptop and the battery is almost down.  Ron, glad you and Lou are all right.    Please post more tomorrow.

I ris, I think nuts and tea would be fine.  They might love your eggnog tea.  The little peppermint stick would be the finishing touch.  Have fun!!

Day, so glad Chucky's mouth is healing well.  Is he still on wet food?  Do you think he really needs a special food or can you just limit the amount he gets each day?

Beth, I think I have the same peach tea - haven't tried it though.  Not sure about herbal tea - maybe tonight or tomorrow would be a good time.  Supposed to be rainy the next couple of days.

Sara - our day was dreary - cloudy and sort of misty, very light.  It was warmer early this morning than mid afternoon.  I like Fuji apples, too.

I can mark one thing off my to-do list.  They got the barn work finished today.  Brand new cowshed doors and new shutters.  They worked until after dark to get it done.  Now, I'll need to paint the shutters and a little bit of trim on the doors.  I'm not sure I have the green paint for the trim on the shutters but do have white paint.  We'll see.  Anyway, it'll probably wait until warmer weather.  Not good to paint when it's damp or cold.

They'll be back Friday to do the house.  We got the estimate and it's not bad at all for all the work they'll have to do.  James said they would be back on Friday since it's going to be rainy until then.  Stormy can relax a bit. I took him out to see what was going on today, on his leash, and he was not friendly.  Sheena's pretty laid back, at least most of the time.

Gotta stop.  More rodeo tonight and until Sunday night, I believe.  I'm not watching all of it - do like saddle bronc riding, steer wrestling and bullriding.  Those people make a lot of money.  Last night they said one of the barrel racers had won up to a million dollars this year.  A night or two ago they mentioned one who's competing now had won five million.  I think Yellowstone has sort of given barrel racers a bad name.

See you all tomorrow.  Zetta,I made potato soup from scratch today.  I used to really like the homemade kind but Bear Creek has spoiled me.  Need to order some more and stock op for winter.

Sleep well tonight.  Sandy, hope things are going well with you.

• Lorita

Hi,

Cold, damp and cloudy here today.  Ron, just heard it's 80 at your home.  Hope you and Lou are well.

Quiet day here..  Still have on my gown and robe.  Carpenters won't be here until Friday.  Stormy is happy about that.  Toad fed but I called the girls up before he came.  

I heard on the news that Baker Mayfield, former OU QB and He is man winner is going to the Rams, a mutual agreement between he and the Panthers.  Notice what my tablet did to Heisman!

Went to the mailbox to mail some things but she had already delivered the mail so maybe I can do it tomorrow.  Can't leave outgoing mail down there very long.

The new barn doors look nice so glad that's done.  Had a call from my credit union asking if it was okay to cash the check I gave James last night.  Really glad they do that.

I went to sleep last night about 11 so missed Barney Miller, then woke up at 3, let the GPs out and couldn't go to sleep again until over an hour, then up at 7.  Don't know why I couldn't  get back to sleep too much.on my mind, I guess.

I found  a box of pumpkin cookie mix in the pantry- can't remember buying it.  Think I'll make them with  chocolate chips but not today.

Today is Pearl Harbor Day so they're showing WWII movies. My grandpa passed away about that time and I was born six months later.

Where is everyone?

• Iris L.

Marie, thanks for the idea of adding a candy cane to stir the tea.

Day, I have a male cat who was overweight.  I observed him eating all the time!  Every time I went into the kitchen, he followed me and ate.  The vet told me not to free-feed.  I began feeding twice a day and limited free-feeding, and he did lose about a pound, from 17 lbs to 16 lbs.  He still eats frequently, but not as much.  

The weather here in Los Angeles area is cold for us, in the 50s.  I have to have the heat on during the day now.  But it's not raining.

Iris 

• Mint

Dark here, was foggy til way past noon.

Grocery shopping done again.  

Iris think your gifts will be nice.

Isn’t it nice Lorita when you like the work someone does?

Take care

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Day2night, Jo, anyone in disaster prone areas—the remarks about FEMA help, are truer than most people know.

I worked for FEMA for 3 years as a 1099, about eight years ago. It’s my personal opinion—and government used to say something like this, but in nicer words—that NO individual should expect any real help from FEMA, in any meaningful time. 

What FEMA does best, and almost exclusively, is work with other governments or agencies, NOT individual people. It helps with long-term big projects, like new water plants, bridge replacement, building/staffing a medical facility,  delivering big equipment, finding land (thousands of acres, maybe in another state) for landfills, etc. 

They may provide some trailers for housing, but usually far short of the need, and weeks or months after the event. (We’re still waiting down here). And they did, very early here, give many low-income uninsured people $700 quick, with minor paperwork or hassle.

In fairness, FEMA operations are governed by law & Congress. What many people expect FEMA to do, they are prohibited, by law, from doing. That kind of direct personal help is supposed to come from state and local governments, and NGOs (non-governmental organizations, nonprofits).

Most in-depth disaster material will tell you to be prepared to be “on your own” for 3-7 days; help afterward comes first from local and state. But most people don’t get that far in the reading, and/or don’t understand what it really means.

I worked for various other government agencies, state and federal, for decades. None, IME, compare to FEMA for sheer bureaucracy and administration hurdles. Not even close. It’s truly unbelievable, and it’s self-perpetuating. (You do better if you create more bureaucracy).

At this point, I honestly wouldn’t know how to change it, other than blow it up and start over. Almost anything would require big moves from Congress, but I don’t see many there—even from FL or California, or tornado country—making it a priority.

In purely selfish ways, I will say that was probably the best job I ever had. The travel especially  suited me, albeit to disasters.  Most people were really interesting, with worlds of experiences. The benefits were great. I won tons of accolades and raises.

It was also the most frustrating, infuriating job ever, by far, for the bureaucracy and lack of urgency; the kind of laws/rules that said 10 certain people (maybe on vacation, sick or just MIA) sign a piece of paper before the homeless family who met all other factors, got a trailer that day, or two weeks later. You might have 9, but god forbid one be missing. You would not believe how much of that type thing is in play.

I was well suited for a lot of the job, but not that part.  DH oncoming Alzheimer’s meant I had to quit, regardless. (You had to do big travel on 48-hour notice, for indefinite lengths of time but a month minimum).

Again, I’ve gone on too long. But every hurricane season I tell everyone I know we may get government and/or agency/NGO help, but in my experience we should not expect anything soon, and certainly nothing that helps YOUR individual situation, from FEMA. Some people have, somewhere, I’m sure, but overall, now? It’s  really outrageous —and has been for years—but so many things are, these days. 

• Lorita

Sara, it really is nice.  Gives you a little hope.  Glad you got your grocery shopping done.  I made muffins and did dishes.  Water heater seems to be doing okay. 

Lots of news about flu, covid and RSV.  It said only 40% of pros have gotten flu shots.  We knew this was going to be worse for flu because of demasking. Hospitals are 80% full here.  There is sometimes a 12 hr. Wait in ER to even be seen.  We need to keep wearing our masks.

Zetta,the weather Saud there's a lot of snow in the NW.  Are you having some?

Joan, are you having snow yet?  Hope you doing  okay?

Rescue Mom, don't know much about FEMA except many years ago we had a horrible winter with long power outages.  Seems like they helped  people some.  I've seen hundreds of those trailers, I believe after some hurricane.  Wonder why they can't use those.

Guess I'll watch more Rodeo tonight.  Day, David will be on tonight.  He's really lost weight.  Have you heard how much?  Wonder if the weight loss was because of health reasons.

Enjoy your evening and hope we all sleep well.

• dayn2nite2
    Lorita, I have David on right now.  He lost his weight by going low-carb and apparently he has lost 70 pounds in 6 months.  I think he's at an ideal weight now - he reminds me of when he originally came to QVC.

Every time they show the Kitchen Aid mixers I start fantasizing about all the things I'd make with it but then I remember that most likely, the mixer would sit on the counter unused except a couple of times a year!  LOL.

$60 for a cheesecake.  No.  I'm sure it's delicious but no way.
  • Lorita

Day, I think the same thing about the mixers and I would seldom use  it either.I bought an inexpensive hand mixer earlier this year and hardly ever use it either.  I have an immersion blender I use for soups so I think I'm covered.

I agree, he doesn't need to lose more weight.  He's really tall so I think he's about right.  I couldn't do without sugar I don't think.  I lost 84 lbs. In eight months about 25 years ago by.portion control. I don't think I did without anything but I did drink lots of water which the doctor said probably caused my gallbladder problem.  Would like to lose 20 right now but willpower is not too strong.

I've tried those frozen David's cookies twice and they're thawed by the time they get here.  Do really like Jimmy the Bakers crumb cakes though..  Their food prices are pretty high but everything has gone up.  Guess it's that way everywhere.

I've switched over to the rodeo.so will stop for tonight.  Did you see the filled chocolate earlier?I was really tempted but refrained..

• Lorita

Hi,

We had rain - 1.5".  I think it rained all night.  I took some things down to the mailbox this morning and it's really muddy and we may even have a little more water in the ponds.  Supposed to have heavier rain Friday night and then again next week with possibly severe weather.

Judith, I was reading your post at the start of 183 and you said you all didn't have pie for dessert on Thanksgiving.  What did you have?

Went out to the barn a while ago to see the results of their labor.  I'm really pleased with the way it looks.  They have a couple more things to do out there, then I'll have to paint the shutters.

Doing some laundry today.  I remember how much I used to have to do - sometimes a couple of loads a day - now it's a load or two a week.  But, I'd gladly go back to the two loads a day if things were the same.

Carol told me a day or so ago that another good friendsof ours, almost as long as we have been friends, lost her husband earlier this year.  She has sold her home and moved to Edmond to be close to one of her daughters.  There wasn't an obituary so we didn't know he has passed away.  Glad she can be close to her daughter.  She'll need the support.

Nothing going on here today.  It was foggy until about noon, still cloudy with faint sunshine.  The girls thought this was feed day so they were bawling when I got up but have drifted off to eat hay or graze a little bit.  I hear a little baby bawling every once in a while for their mother - their lunchtime.

Ron, maybe you could post a little today so we'll know how things are going.  So wish some of us were close enough to be of help to you and Lou.  I think about a long time ago when we talked about how good it would be to have all of us close together on the farm to help each other.  Would have been nice.

Nothing to write about so I'll close and find something for lunch.  Just fed Stormy and Sheena and gave them their vitamins and glucosamine.  I need to take mine, too.

See you later.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I doubled checked with my sister.....no pie served after Thanksgiving dinner. Therw was dessert but neith of us can remember what it was.

Got out to the bookstore and Macy's this morning. Lot's of masks being worn. 

It was 'froggy" here this morning here too...now just cloudy and damp.

My son is driving in from St Louis today. Can' t wait to give him a hug. We will cook, order out and play games for 3 days.

• Mint

Good evening

Rescue Mom thank you for inside insight on FEMA.

Have one of those Kitchen Aid mixers.  Got it for a good price at an estate sale.  Kind of disappointed with it.  It is very heavy.  Find it a little cumbersome.  Use my light portable one most of time.  Use it if making a big batch of cookies. Used it with kneading hook this weekend to make pizza dough.  But will use my bread machine when I make pizza dough next time, less hassle.  

Another cloudy, damp, chilly day.  Glad you got a good rain Lorita.

Judith hope you and your son have a nice visit.  People in OKC must be smarter than North Central Ohioans.  When I go out sometimes I see no one else with a mask, sometimes there will be a few more than me.  

Quite a few people coming into ER with upper respiratory infections.  A lot of kids, they have those rosy little cheeks so guessing they had fevers.  They had that look in their eyes that kids have when they’re sick too.  Heard some workers talking about having some type of stomach illness.  

A guy at  work today was telling me his wife is sick.  He says it’s just a cold.  Lol I didn’t ask him how he knew that.  Proceeds to tell me she had just went to a meeting at library and guy beside her was sick, and he should have not come like that.  I did say that’s why I wear my mask because I must protect myself because no one else is going to.  He did comMent that I was right about that.  Oh boy where has common sense gone.

We have a case of measles in our neighborhood too.

Take care everyone

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,215
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I checked the obituary this morning and didn't see my name which meant I have another day, I have been feeling down and out lately, dont know if it's the holidays are recent harmone shot. I will be glad when I'm through with the shots, but it must be keeping my cancer under control because psa is still good. 

Holidays just aren't the same anymore! I remember growing up and even when Lou and I started our family, everyone would gather at my mom and dad's for holiday meals. The turkey carcass would be used later to start a big pot of sausage and turkey gumbo. Christmas I would stay up half the night putting gifts together and of course had to play with the toys to make sure they worked. Now holidays is Lou and me and sometimes brother or sister. I miss the old days!!!

Lou still has her good and bad days but it is something I have desided to take care of and will deal with whatever comes.

Ron

• Iris L.

Rescue Mom, thanks for the inside info re: FEMA.  Here in CA we are urged to prepare for earthquakes.  I used to have all my supplies ready, but over the years I used my supplies but didn't replace them.   Now I have to start from scratch.

Why can't we have peace?? (This is rhetorical).  There is so much turmoil and discord and negativity in the world.  I can't take it any more!  This is why I have to live in a bubble!

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris...it is disconcerting. I often wish my bubble were smaller but not much chance of that.

Watched NFR last night. Fun with the cowboy grandson explaining stuff and fun that he knew so many participants.

The "frog" finally lifted but now we seem to have some sewer gas in the house and have not been able to find the source yet.

The odor is now masked by the cinnimon rolls in the oven. Cowboy makes them....beyond wonderful!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Me too; thank you Rescue Mom re the FEMA information. It is quite a disappointment and sure does need some adjustments.  Anything coming out of D.C. and often even from the states are mired in all sorts of convolutions.  It is good to know a bit more.

Iris; your gifts sound really lovely and will I am sure be delightfully pleasing; great idea.  I remember giving tea along with small dutch chocolate rounds that came in a tube and a good book to go along with the tea and chocolate for my staff; all nice for cold days snuggling with an afghan and some goodies.

I do not drink coffee but like tea.  My favorites is Stash's Earl Grey; I buy the decaf for myself and it is really good and does not taste at all weak like some decaf does.  Long ago, I used to buy Constant Comment Tea that is filled with some orange and subtle low note spice; it was as I recall, really good; a Bigelow product I think.  I now though stick to my Stash Earl Grey and love the stuff, but still do not drink a lot of it. Some Earl Grey is not so good, but Stash does a nice job of it.

I need to ask for input:  I love sending out really, really nice greeting cards, often just thinking about someone; it is fun to delight someone for no reason at all.  It is lovely to find something in the mailbox (and NOT electronic on the computer.) I always look for really beautiful and interesting cards and used to find them readily, but not any longer.  Hallmark is certainly not what is used to be and frankly, boringly so; don't bother with them as often as I used to. They sure need to goose up their wares since they are the largest purveyor of greeting cards.

Do any of you have the names of any companies making very nice cards?  I do not want to buy little tiny note cards, but regular sized cards.  I used to have some really beautiful ones, but they are all sent out now.  I had Santoro pop-up cards that were clever and very high quality; don't know if they sold the company to someone else, but they are no longer anywhere near as nice and are rather cheap looking especially for the price.   Had some beautiful cards that were blank on the inside and others had messages, they really were so beautiful. Some were rollicking funny.  Marjolein Bastin has some lovely art on her cards, but they are either Christmas or Birthday or teensy note cards now. There were some extraordinary cards with almost a foil sort of wonderful art on the front with old world fairies or other figures that were lovely; but those too are now sent out and cannot be found again.  Sigh.  Anyway, if any of you have really nice cards, could you get the company name off the back of one and send it on?  I would really appreciate it.

Ron; I too miss Christmas past.   The holidays were always my hobby.  LOVED it all.  Christmas being the biggest one.  I would take vacation off of work at Christmas and bake myself silly with multiple kinds of cookies, tripling recipes.  Also wrapped packages with great care and great paper, ribbon and add ons.  I cooked from scratch like crazy.  I had one pre-Christmas party with buffet for my husband's extended family, and then another pre-Christmas buffet party for my extended family, (too many for all at one time); also had Christmas Eve dinner for our kids and their spouses and ourselves, and then the big, big dinner for our immediate extended family with kids, spouses, grandmother, parents, brother and his kids, and aunt and uncle on Christmas Day.  I had fun games for different gatherings, all sorts of wonderful, wonderful memories, laughter and as said, everything cooked from scratch for happy tummies; loved to watch everyone enjoying themselves. 

Now so many have passed on including brothers and sisters; there are some sadly heartfelt moments during the season for those who are gone.  The rest of the family - adult kids are far away out of state.   Just my DH and myself and my wonky knees.  No more Christmas cookies galore nor all the from scratch cooking of all those delicious dishes and meals and I miss it alot, but the joints are no longer joyful.  We will be alone this year; just DH and me and some goodies.  But even though I so miss all the wonderful times, I am also very, very thankful and filled with gratitude for all those lovely, loving, marvelous memories.  Aren't we truly blessed, Ron,to have them.

Our COVID and Influenza and RSV are rife out here.  We have hit the highest level of COVID since the "bad" days and that is without anywhere near as much testing.  We mask. Had my hair cut the other day, and despite the fact the lovely beautician came to the house, I masked.  Apologized to her as I did not want her to think that I thought she was infectious; but it is something needing doing since she is a very busy beautician in a nice shop and exposed to many people five days a week. One never knows and she of course was right in my face so to speak while working her magic scissors.  Tipped her well for sure.

Measles has become quite an increasing problem across the U.S.  As if we needed something else popping up in great numbers. I think I had measles as a kid; know I had chicken pox for sure and have a scar on one knee to prove it.   Sure do remember mumps; they hurt.  Interesting you are seeing the uptick in children in your ER too Sayra and hope they get well soon. Used to want to be a pediatric nurse, but soon learned in nursing school that I was WAY too involved in the children, so best to stick to adult medicine. Love kids.

How fun to see your son, Judith; give him a hug from us too.  It will be lovely to have him close and to share the time with him.  Are you decorating the house for Christmas?

We are having rain this weekend, especially Sunday along with quite a bit of strong wind.  Need the rain, but not the wind which will raise the dickens with trees, etc.  Each year this happens and so many big trees go down; often onto someone's home which does significant damage.

Gosh Lorita, it seems the workers got the barn done so fast isn't that great; now to get your floor done and you will be snug without having to worry about the floor foundation the rest of the wet winter.  Good to know it is safer. 

Just heard on the news about a new study re restaurant dish washing.  It appears the substances used in washing and also used in rinsing, sticks to plates, cups, glasses and silverware and gets ingested and it can cause gut problems.  Oh joy.  Well; we do not go out to restaurants to eat lately, so probably a good thing.  I am waiting for GOOD news on the news, but it seems not to pop up very often these days.

Take good care, the weekend is upon us in a few hours, this week went by so fast; sure hope my ordered Christmas cards get here early this week so I can get them sent out. I do not do a lot of them; just to a few elderly folks, close family and a few friends.  Cut way back a few years ago.  Amazing how our received cards went down in number once I cut back. Makes me smile; all of us people sending out cards only because we/they got a card from someone.  Too expensive; the cost of postage now at 60 cents for a stamp . . . .

J.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Here is a detailed article from the LA Times re the lower immunity and why it is lower even if vaccinated and uptick in infections; it also once again relates the masks which have been stated by some of the infection control experts are best against the new variants of COVID:  the N95 and the KN95.  Newer variants I understand are tiner viral bits. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/op-ed-immunitys-down-infection-174528158.html

J.

• Mint

Good evening

Beautiful sunny day.  Turned cloudy, getting dark now, may get a little rain. Rain would be good.

Rarely send a card.  Too expensive and seems like the cards always look like the ones I bought the last time.

Made a new soup today, Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup.  It’s pretty good but going to cut back on the amount of basil in it or try a different herb altogether. 

Thinking about trying a cranberry cake.  Girl brought it to work once and I liked it.  Found the recipe, kind of interesting, the only leavening is eggs and you have to beat them til they form  a ribbon when you lift beater.

Lorita hope your being quiet today means there are workers at your house getting things done.

Take care

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

Lorita. I also am hoping you being quiet today is because the workers are at your house. You will be so happy when all of this is done. You're giving yourself and your girls a really nice Christmas present. I went to the store today to get some Bear Creek soup and they were all out of it. I will go back in a few days and hope I find some. 

It is nice you're getting some rain, be careful not to overdue things, so you can sit back and enjoy things. I do not get Leave it to Beaver, I enjoy watching Two and a Half Men, in the evenings. But I do remember how all the wives were always dressed up during the day doing their housework. 

Iris.   I like the idea that Marie gave you about putting small candy canes in with the tea and nuts. Enjoy your party. 

Ron.  I also have a lot of good memories of past Christmases, we probably all have them as kids growing up. Now that my kids are all grown and live so far away Christmas is just not the same. You and Lou will probably have a nice Christmas dinner together.

Judith.  I can smell those warm sweet Cinnamon Rolls all the way to my house. Yum. Enjoy Christmas with your son.

Jo. You have some wonderful holiday memories with everything you have done you deserve to sit back and enjoy some quiet time. It would be nice if some of your family was close so you could have a small gathering. My son and I will both be pet sitting over Christmas. So, we will be doing our Christmas dinner over New Years. 

Got a lot of snow today and at times the wind was blowing so hard we had white outs. We probably got a foot, and more is coming. It was 20 this morning and 30 right now. I'm inside staying warm with all my fur babies. 

Looks like we all like different apples. I like Honey Crips apples they are really sweet, good for applesauce. When Dan was alive, he made real good apple pie all from scratch and he used green apples, I only like those in pies. I wish I had one of his apple pies right now. 

Take care all. Hugs Zetta 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney