Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (190)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

Hi,

Beth, the pictures are beautiful. What a big ship and so many people. How long are you going to be gone?

I've been reading but haven't had time to post until now. The carpenter came about 9 this morning and just now left so I knew if I started to post he'd need to tell or ask me something. I'm very pleased with his work and the price he charged. He only lives a couple of miles from me. So happy Darwin told me about him. Just called to thank him. He fixed rotted or chewed places on the bottom of two porch columns, nail back a fascia board and took off one of the sliding closet doors and trimmed it. They're 4x8 plywood and very heavy and I kept getting them off the track or messed up somehow. Still need to get a floor glide and he'll come back and put it on. I want to watch that - can't for the life of me figure out how that's done. Also fixed the side of the cowshed doorway - had a hard time getting the old post out - it was really deep and bigger around at the bottom. There was still water in the hole.I've been reading about how to do things.

I think when I have time I'll go back and make notes so I can remember what to do, when.

Sandy, so glad to see your post. You mentioned the horses laying down on their sides to sleep - sometimes our girls do that and it scares me. They do that and sometimes when they do they're having trouble calving. So when I see one laying down I honk or yell at them - anything to make them sit up. It's fine for the horses to stand in the rain. When it would rain and we had new babies Charles always said they were getting ai good bath. It was cold here this morning - upper 30s and now it's 77. Girls have gone into the barn and when he started sawing they came out of there in a stampede - then went back in after he quit - repeated and now there's some in and some out. There was a stranger on the place and noises they didn't recognize. Nothing other than that going on here - quiet day after the sawing stopped. I don't often delete a whole post but it's good to know it can be done. Hope everyone's okay today. Like they say, it takes a village and that's how we're learning the new platform/format.

Sara, do those dots only show up after you've posted? So, I don't know what I did - hit some key and the bolding disappeared. I'll go ahead and post anyway. No idea what I did.

Edit - okay, Sara, I posted the above and then saw the three dots - so this is an edit. That works.

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments

Hi, just wanted to post a photo of the horses that my son took earlier this spring.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Bon voyage!

• Lorita

Sandy, I love this picture. I hadn't noticed the other two in the background. Did you all ever figure out which one is in the foreground? Looks like it might be the big draft horse,- forget his name. This might even be a good picture to enlarge and frame.

I'm a little tired this evening,- just having someone around a good part of the day and making a couple of trips to the barn . Better post this before I lose it. Talk to you soon.

• Lorita

Iris, what do you mean? Not leaving our thread are you?

• Iris L.

Bon voyage was to Beth on her cruise.

• Lorita

Morning, That's good, Iris, didn't want to lose you. How's the little turtle this morning? Never have had a turtle to take csre of and don't see them really often. We have great big, black, pond turtles. See them occasionally going from one pond to another.

It's a pretty morning - sort of windy but warm. Stormy just came in - Sheena's still enjoying the weather. They stayed outside last night and have for the last week or so. Max sleeps in the bedroom with me. They fed this morning and the girls are drifting back down this way. So glad the barn's fixed. I try my best to keep it in good shape. We lost our big, three story, red barn in 1960 and my daddy and a carpenter from our little town (was the Post Master) built this one - made it longer but not as tall. I think I've posted a picture of it in the background sometime in the past.

I ordered the glide for the closet doors and it's supposed to be here Thursday - really will be glad when I can open the door. I need to go through my clothes and donate those I haven't worn in a few years. I've been retired for 28 years and there are things in there that I wore then and years before. Guess I should call the Chamber of Commerce in the nearest, bigger town and see where I can donate. I have boxes of Charles' clothes that are too heavy to carry so maybe I can get Bryon to carry them out.

Today is Sarah's PCP appointment. She called last night and asked that I call her at 8 this morning so she wouldn't miss it. I did and it says she's not accepting calls. Tried Todd and his phone says the same thing. Don't know why but hope they're up and getting ready for the 10:30 appointment.

Sandy, I've been thinking about the picture you posted. I think that would make a beautiful poster. Hope you're well this morning. I'll stop for now and finish my juice - I need some hot tea and food - kind of hungry this morning. Back later.

• Lorita

Hi, I just wrote a long post about how frustrating and overwhelming this morning has been, then decided I didn't want to post it. I had already posted about the same thing on Musings. If you read it, I did discover that either Stormy or Sheena had eaten some molded bread I had put in the trash in a baggie. Called Mike and he said they would be okay. I did what Ron had suggested - saved it in drafts - then went to "My drafts" and clicked on the plus sign in the orange circle and it was gone. For a minute I was afraid I'd deleted the whole thread - but it worked. Guess we're learning, bit by bit. Even though they've enlarged the print it still isn't big enough for me. I have such dry eyes and cataracts so making it larger and bold really helps. The dry eyes plus the allergies from all these trees make for itchy ,grainy-feeling eyes. Also getting itchy hands off and on so the Johnson grass may not have been the culprit. Weird that I didn't have allergies until last summer - in my "golden" years.

• Lorita

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi all. My handy man is coming soon to do a few projects for me. I’m excited to get them done, then will have the outside of the house painted. Keeping all the projects caught up is time consuming and expensive, but worth it. It’s cool and partly cloudy here today. I think we’re expecting the same for a few days.

I hope Sarah made it to her appointment. Lorita, you will love your easy-to-slide doors on the closet. It will save your strength trying to push them open.

Beth, your cruise sounds delightful. I’ve been on one but got terribly motion sick, so it kind of ruined cruises for me. Have a great time.

I’ll be back later. My guy is due here very soon and I need to get a few things ready for him to work. Have a nice afternoon. Joan

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita....I read your post on Musings....Yes, sometimes I feel life is overwhelming. I have no solution for that but I do have a suggestions to make.

Deliveries are are very real problem for you. I do not know why Fedex will not come up to your door but here they won't open a gate. Can you order smaller amounts more often. At least that way your load will not be heavy getting up to the house.

Now re Amazon. I have always gotten an email when something is not going to be shipped. I then have the option to cancel the order through my account.

As to the clothes. I do not think anyone will take clothes as old as you want to donate. Goodwill may have a drop off box somewhere near you. We have them all over town here.

Good day here. Got tax extentions in the mail with checks. I might just watch some mindless TV this afternoon. I finished all of the Hoarder episodes on Netflix last night. Whew, grateful I do not have that problem.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

Hello everyone! Thanks for the good wishes! The trip has not disappointed so far! Day 1, Saturday, we got on the ship and we sailed away around 5:30 pm (from Miami). We went to a show called "Columbus the Musical." Day 2, Sunday, we had a sea day - no ports, just sailing. We went to "Grease." Day 3, Monday, we stopped in Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico. We toured an aviary and that's where I took the photo of the bird. We went to an aquatics show that was just fabulous! Day 4, Tuesday (today) we were awakened around 7:30 a.m. by drumming outside. We were being welcomed to Roatan, Honduras. We went on a 4 hour tour of the island. Part of the island is stunningly beautiful (I'll attach a beach photo). Another part was downright sad: shacks that people were living in/poverty beyond belief. I didn't take any pics of that; it was just too sad. It really makes me grateful for my home and for the U.S.A. - even though we have a lot of our own issues. We leave the ship Saturday. Still several adventures to enjoy! Sandy, the horses are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

Lorita, just read your post on Musings and wanted to reply here where I think better chance of you seeing it.

As for the large boxes of pet food, is it possible to open the box and re-distribute into several smaller boxes? Even with a dolly, you are likely to strain something...can't have that!

Yes, there are days, weeks even months which are overwhelming. Seems like things just pile up and up. My only solution is to take one thing at a time and try to resolve it. Looking at the whole lot can be down right depressing. I also say prayers that God will help me find the answers. There is no one else to call on.

I hope that things soon settle for you. I know your "special tree" is no longer there, but perhaps you can find another place outside where you sit and find solace.

Hugs

Marie

• Sandyshe
    Sandyshe Member Posts: 4
    First Anniversary First Comment

Sandymac here but I’m now Sandyshe. Couldn’t sign in under the old name, told me I wasn’t a member, so had to re register. We’re back from NZ, had a great time, and I really enjoyed the air show, much more than i expected to. We went whale watching too, and were lucky enough to see one right next to the boat, which hung around for about 10 minutes. We then went looking for something else to see and came onto a pod of dolphins which played around the boat for quite a long time too. All in all a very good time. We’re now catching up on appointments, Bob had his first cataract operation yesterday, and we’ve several other things to catch up on in the next week or two. Cheers all…… Sandy

• Lorita

Hi Sandra, I wondered who Sandyshe was. Glad you all had a good time in New Zealand and getting to see a whale closeby. I bet that was thrilling. Nothing like that in landlocked Oklahoma. Hope your husband gets along all right with his cataract extractions. When will he get the second one done?

Beth, sounds like you are having a wonderful vacation. The picture is gorgeous - I can just imagine how beautiful it must be.

Joan, we had those glides on the closet door until they had to put in a new floor and even with me reminding him numerous times the guy just never put down new ones - broke the old one. It was all Jerry could do yesterday to carry one door outside to saw off the bottom. I'm looking forward to being able to open the doors without all that effort. It is expensive to keep things done but things can really run down if we don't. Good luck with your projects. The hard thing we've found is finding someone who's reliable to do the work. I think we may have found the solution in Jerry.

Marie, I do miss the tree - there's another one in it's place but no lower limb to sit on - just being outside helps though. When they were leaving the big boxes down at the road I did open them and put the smaller things in the PU or Gator - helped a lot. It's clouded up here this afternoon and it's 78 degrees and will be warmer tomorrow, then cool for a few days. We're really needing rain - hard to believe after all the rain we had a month ago.

Judith, at least they're bringing things to the house instead of leaving them a quarter mile away. This morning was my fault - I knew the guy was out there but didn't go to the door and make him bring the boxes to the house. We have a double gate and two single gates on the north side and for some odd reason everyone seems to think they should come through the double gate - that's where he left them. Amazon's supposed to bring some things Thursday so we'll see what happens there - they won't be heavy. Glad you got your taxes taken care of. I just called about mine and he must have been uber busy the last month because Melissa said he would have to do an extension. Hopefully, I won't owe too much this year.

It's been almost seven hours since "someone" ate the molded bread - google says food goes through them in 6-8 hours so guess they'll be okay. They both went outside but Stormy came back in. They can't stand being too warm so guess the house is too warm for Sheena.

I so hate that Sarah didn't get to see the doctor today - she had put off going to the hospital so she wouldn't miss this appt. since she'd been hospitalized on the last two appts. She hasn't called so don't know what's going on.

Things are all right with me this afternoon - everything just piled up this morning. I can deal with a couple of things at one time but sometimes there's three or four things. Talking to all of you helps - thanks a lot.

Tomorrow I'll call the Chamber of Commerce and see where I can donate the clothes. I did see one of those boxes in town a few months ago. The clothes are still good - haven't been worn for a lot of years but may be sort of out of still by now. You know Carol retired three or four years before I did and she's still wearing clothes she wore to work. I probably won't fit in some of mine now though. The closet is just too crowded and gets everything wrinkled. Also still have most of Charles' things to donate.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Enjoyed the pictures. Yes Judith the photos have really improved.

Lorita so sorry you are feeling so down. Know you don’t want to make changes but sometimes we have too.

Marie I often think about that. I have God as my father and he is the only thing I have that I can depend on. Life can become awful discouraging, just feel worn out sometimes.

A lady at work shared a rib with me. So ate it with my chicken and made some macaroni salad. Was a nice change.

• loveskitties

Lorita,

For the donations of the older clothes you might want to check and see if there is a homeless shelter that would take them. Folks who have little or nothing would be glad to have them even if not current style.

• Lorita

Morning, Very windy day - going to be about 85 later with stronger winds. I got up early because I didn't know what time Mike would come by to check on the cow. He got here about 7. Her hip isn't broken - probably strained and swollen. She can still walk around, slowly. He said it would heal but would take a long time. I'll keep her up north and west of the house where she can graze and have water - he'll bring some feed for her. Can't give her pain meds because if she got down in the chute it would be too bad. He thinks she probably came into esterus and the bulls injured her - they'll be leaving here soon.

Just now went out to check her water and Randy was on the birdfeeder I filled this morning - wrapped around it. Came back in and put some birdfeed and peanuts in a bowl for him. When I opened the door he took off - I moved the feeder so he could use the limbs from the holly to get on the feeder if he wanted to. Then decided I'd check the cow's water and she was laying down so came back in - didn't want to disturb her. I'll be worried until I see that she can get up. That's my morning.

I saw the new baby this morning - first saw him late yesterday - the girls were going out to graze and he was running along beside his mother - he's little and really pretty and black and staying with mom. They keep the babies very close to them for the first three weeks or so, then they can be more lenient with them so they can get better acquainted with the others.

Marie, I'm going to call the Chamber of Commerce and find out a good place to donate. Patsy had told me about a couple of places - a Church and a Mission. I know there's one drop box but I don't think there's a homeless shelter in that town.

My eyes are uber dry this morning - guess it's the wind and dryness - they feel like there's sand in them so I'll try to stay out of the wind as much as possible today. I have some Gen Teal ointment that I use at night so I'll try some of that. The drops don't seem to help too much.

We looked at the Prickly Pear this morning and he thinks it's almost all dead - all the spines are gone and it's turned mostly white. I heard on the news a couple of days ago that Prickly Pear is the State Flower of Texas. I would have thought the Blue Bonnet would have been. I had Blue Bonnets in the bathtub one year. They were so pretty for a while but bloomed otu quickly. Also saw on the same show that wild flowers across Arizona, NM and Texas are in full bloom right now. We used to have lots of wild flowers but with all the pasture and meadow spraying there's not nearly as many now. It's a shame but the cattle need grass. Our weather last night said in a normal April we have rain every three or so days - so far this month there's only been .06" - really bad news for the coming summer and hay supply. There's no carryover this year and if there's not a lot of hay made no idea what might happen.

Hope all of you are well this morning. I really didn't mean to make the font this large but it's all I could get going. When it posts it'll be smaller than it is now. Haven't checked on the little eagles lately. The two at Decorah were getting really big - not sure when they fledge. Enjoy the day - I'll be back later.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,214
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Cut a rose off the bush this morning and Lou wanted me to put it behind her ear.

Had a bad night but maybe today will be better!

Ron

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hope the prickly pear is dead.

Sunny day, little cool but not bad. My nephew came over and helped me finish up somethings outside. Got all the grow bags prepared for planting. Main thing I have left to do is mulch. Not sure if he will be able to help me with that or not. Tomorrow is suppose to be nice but quite a bit of cloudy cooler weather after that it seems.

Ron that is a pretty rose you picked for Lou. Hope things have settled down. Hope the cow gets to feeling better soon Lorita.

My neighbors have a small bird feeder. The crows are unable to sit on it but do their best to get food without landing . Think they are finally starting to give up. Anyway it’s a little entertaining. Two are over there now just walking around under it. They haven’t attempted to eat. Maybe they find a few morsels that have been dropped.

Hope each one has a good night.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks for the pretty picture of Lou, she is so sweet. Give her a big hug from me. Hugs Zetta

• Iris L.

Lorita, have you tried those wrap-around sunglasses, like pilots wear? They keep the wind from your eyes better than regular sunglasses.

The little turtle didn't make it.

Here is a photo of some rescued sea lions from the Care Center. The women were about to clean the pool that the sea lions swam in.

Here is a photo of a shark.

• Iris L.

More shark photos.

The smaller fish are herring.

• Iris L.

I see that Delete has been added to Edit.

• loveskitties

Just wanted to share some good news.

I had donated an afghan for a local dog shelter to put in their silent auction. It was of their logo.

Just found out that they didn't put it in silent auction, but displayed it at their event and did a raffle instead.

They made $980 on that raffle! Enough to almost cover their outstanding vet bill.

So pleased that enough folks were interested that it helped them.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The photos are wonderful....thanks !

• Lorita
    edited April 2023

Hi again,Sorry, can't seem to get the size of the font right. I think I'm using h2 and H5.

Iris, what a wonderful day you had going to all those places. When you live in a city there are places like that to go - not around here - closest zoo or anything like that is not close. Your pictures are so good - something to review and relive that nice day. I wear fit-over sunglasses that pretty much enclose everything. I have to wear sunglasses outside and I've begun to wear a mask when I'm outside - might help with allergies.

Glad they've added delete - does that mean we can delete a post we've made and already posted? Maybe they're listening to our concerns - just takes time.

Ron, the pictures of Lou are so good. She is one sweet lady with a sweet husband to take care of her. You're farther south so you have roses blooming - so far, maybe just a small bud or two here. I did look for my peony and it's 18-20" tall - no buds yet. I hope it blooms this year.

The little cow has laid down and gotten up at least three times today, Sara. It's just going to take time. She's in an enclosed area with grass so she won't have to walk so much. She shouldn't be out in the pasture - so glad I happened to see her.

Judith, hope the storms are south of you - I did hear Edmond mentioned so they may be close. I think they're going to go between here and Tulsa. We need rain but not storms. Very windy here and cloudy.

I'm drying a load of laundry I decided to do this afternoon. All of us took an afternoon nap - we missed some sleep this morning and it was refreshing. We may do that every day.

Sandy, got another Blair catalog today and I'm amazed at how much their clothes look like Denim & Co. I know we've talked about that before. Prices are about half of what they are on QVC - don't know what their fabrics are like but the things I've ordered from there were nice.

Marie, what a feeling of accomplishment and pride you must have to know your afghan is taking care of the vet bills. I know that makes you feel so good. Great news.

Weather radio just went off - just issued a tornado watch but our county isn't included - NWW of us. Guess I need to stop and go check to see if the little cow has water and check the barn while I'm out. Girls just moved from the NE pasture to the south one. I'll check to be sure no one is left down there. Hope you all have a good evening. Good to hear from everyone.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

• Iris L.

Marie, how wonderful for you and your animal group!

I found another turtle but put it back near the pond. I don't know what's going on with those turtles. This one was an adult.

Iris

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I'm enjoying all of the photographs. Thanks to all who are sharing them.

Yesterday was a Mother Day-- I had to take her for fasting bloodwork, a pedicure, lunch and then an appointment with her psychiatrist. For some reason her ears hurt, and she decided not to wear her hearing aids which meant shouting at her all day. It irks me that I am the one who drives her to all of the hearing aid appointments, and yet she is more likely to wear them when with other people. DH doesn't hear well either and isn't interested in hearing aids, so I get to come home and yell at him after I drop her off. Her glasses will be coming in in the next couple of days, so I'll need to get her in to have them tweaked.

Today I have the dentist and need to sort out one of DH's prescriptions. I've been hitting walls with the prescription since Monday. It's a mail order cardiac medicine that was on automatic renewal, but the pharmacy and doctor are not communicating. I asked for a refill on Monday and have heard nothing. Neither my local pharmacy nor the mail order one have heard from the office. DH's cardiologist has taken good care of him and turns up yearly in the best doc edition of the city magazine, but his office is awful, and I am not dazzled with the hospital system with which he is affiliated. LOL, thanks to mom I have much experience with the various hospital systems in the area. If this prescription situation doesn't get resolved, I am insisting DH see Mother's cardiologist. He's affiliated with the best cardiology department in the region, and I was impressed with the care she got when she had her TAVR in 2020.

It's a beautiful day here. Warm, sunny with a slight breeze. My neighbors all seem to be having their lawns mowed this morning. It's been wall-to-wall leaf blowers since just before 8am. With all the rain we've had, my lawn needs cutting as well. I did it last Friday and it looks really shaggy already. DS'll do it for me later.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney