Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends ,(193)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lasagna soup sounds good.

The chains Iris suggested do work well. I have some. The only thing with them is they only work will on ice and you need to get them off quickly as mine are slippery on a regular floor.

Take care everyone

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Freezing rain and snow here! Got up at 3 this morning, look outside to a white street. Sure glad I don't gave to get out, use to all the time when I was working, but this icy weather kept me in even then. Never have taken unnecessary chances! Not much more perception expected, just cold.

Ron

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 15

Snowing here. Roads are to worsen during the day. One Granddaughter had to drive to work. Daughter is scheduled for 10am. Both work at Eye Centers. Us older folks don’t need to be out in this. But, I imagine hubby and I will be heading to town later today to pick them both up in the truck with 4WD. 😱 I can’t let those girls try to drive, not safe.

Randolph just lit the propane logs in the fireplace and thankfully didn’t blow us to high heaven. I’m going to replace that rig with something that has a remote control. We use it maybe twice a year. Should’ve put in a real one when I built.

The outdoor animals had sense enough to get in the barn, thankfully. I worry about them but husband says they know what to do.

• ronald71111

You know your in Louisiana when you see a salt truck!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,354
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Lorita I hope your ankle is feeling better and more reliable. I'm glad you had your pendant and phone of you.

We're not directly impacted by the flooding currently. The smaller streams and creeks have receded but the Delaware River is just now improving. The usual areas between me and NJ have some flooding, but downriver where's it's tidal they're having bigger problems.

Snow forecasted for after dinner although the sky looks like it could start at any moment. We're not going to get more than an inch or two between now and tomorrow afternoon, but DH has a blood draw at 8:30 tomorrow and if it's slick, he'll reschedule. His knee is improving but there's not point in risking another fall. My left knee is very cranky because I have been waiting on him and hauling things up and down stairs that he typically carries. DS has done a lot, but he's not always at hand.

I have a batch of granola in the oven and will grab a shower once it's done. I need to figure out dinner as I'm out of both ideas and food.

HB

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Brrrrr!!!!!!!

Sewer backing up into shower in flip house. Nothing to do for it.

Pleanty of food for at least two more days and grandson and daughter are both out and about so all is well. I will finish my tax papers today. Not much else to do. Maybe make a final sweep for Goodwill.

Lorita...canyou put a water tank close to electricity? I remember Dick had an orange cord stretched across Greenleaf state park so he could listen to music. Maybe order an additional orange cord for a deicer. You have no business being outside in this weather!!!!!!

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, Thanks , HB,my ankle and above it is sore and still swollen some, not much pain. I did go out on the porch and fed and watered the birds and squirrels. Had thoughts of going out to check on Water rank and may later. We had 2" of snow. and temp is all the way up to 9, WC is minus 4. Guess the sun is helping some, .At least it helps our feelings.

.Mike and Toad got here about 10 to feed and they cut ice on ponds. How many holes I don't know.

My medical guardian didn't detect the fall yesterday so called them this morning. She says it has to be worn outside clothing to detect them. Tested it and it worked.

You all be safe and stay warm.

• Lorita

• Lorita

It's 14 with WC of 1. I looked out and the garden was full of cattle trying to get a drink out of the water tank. Managed to get my boots on and put on the cleats. They had managed to make a hole in the ice big enough for one to drink. Hooked up the water and let it run. After a bit took the ax out and cut some more ice. Did that again so more could drink.We have a couple with horns and she kept drinking.

Went back out just now and most have gone back to the hay. Guess everyone got enough. The big chunks of ice I took out of the tank. I left about 6" at the top so I can run water tomorrow. Doubt they'll come back and cut ice in the ponds tomorrow because they feed south and east of here then. I just could not go out and give them water. Didn't realize it was that cold.

I have a big pot of vegetable soup cooking. Will be good tonight with crusty bread. Should make cornbread tomorrow. Ankle still swollen and sore but I can walk on it. I was afraid I couldn't get a boot on but did!

Stay warm tonight.

• JeriLynn66

Lorita, be careful… It’s sleeting again here and alternating with snow.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Stay warm and dry, everyone!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 15

question...why isn't Mike keeping water available for his cows?

• Lorita

Judith, they cut ice on the ponds this morning. He says sometimes they have to do it twice daily. They have 12-15 sets of cows to feed one day and that many of more the next. We got our girls used to drinking from the water troughs in the winter years ago to keep them away from the ponds. They step out on the ice and fall in. I don't mind keeping the troughs filled but do hate to cut ice. I told him I would - keeps me in contact with them. I can't v water the heifers though.

Beth, the news just showed the snow in Iowa. One guy built a shark from the snow and spray painted it.

It looks this storm has been all over the US. Sandy, it said Chicago will have temps of minus 20-30. I bet you all will have snow, too. Stay inside.

• Lorita
    edited January 16

As of this minute 10:30 p.m., January 15, 2015, I've been alone. This is the time I lost Charles to Vascular Dementia nine years ago. How time flies, in one way.

• Iris L.

I'm so sorry, Lorita.

• Mint

Lorita im so sorry for your loss.

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Lorita,

Sorry for your lost of Charles. You have been a great comfort to many on this site that are still dealing with their love ones.

Shirley

• ronald71111

I'm sorry for your loss Lorita and pray for you.

Ron

• JeriLynn66

Lorita, I’m sorry. Big warm hugs to you.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

So sad Lorita. We're lucky to have you here xo

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

We know how you miss your beloved Charles. You were blessed to have each other. I'm sorry you couldn't be here together longer, with good health. Grief is a heavy burden to bear.

• Lorita

Thanks, everyone. I'm never alone with friends like all of you. "The" day always gets to me. Seem to relive it all again.

It is cold again today 15 right now with wc of 9. One place north of here was minus 15 last night. Mike called this morning to check on me on his way back from a farm call. Asked about my ankle and if I needed to be outside today. Said they were cutting ice every day. Toad was coming to cut ours. He had a new baby in the truck with him. Said he had taken three newborns to the clinic to keep them from freezing. Hope Toad checks when he comes. Sounds like the girls are gathering again in the garden. My foot and ankle are swollen but I can walk in it pretty well after the first step. I may go out about 2 and run some water for the girls. I left about an 8" space I can fill and maybe that will melt the ice.

I hope all if you are well today. Just stay inside if possible. Guess I should listen to myself. WC in north Okla. was minus 27 last night.

• Mint

We got just a skiff of snow early this morning. Then the sun shined all day, was pretty. Got mine and J grocery shopping done.

• Lorita

Hi, where is everyone? I've been in and out several times. A while ago I saw Penny standing just outside the corral. I knew she was due to calve so went out and her baby was sitting up in the cowshed. No idea when she had him. Another cow came in so gave both of them some hay. Tried to get some water to them but the hydrant handle is frozen even after pouring warm water over it. Called Mike and told him. He said she and baby would be ok in barn and they'll feed and water her in the morning. Supposed to be above freezing.

Took my sock off and my foot is still swollen and part of if is blue especially around the back.of my foot below the ankle and up to the toes. I know it isn't broken because I can walk on it.. Guess I really did a job on it.

• JeriLynn66

No babies here yet. Boogie is still in her stall. The Jake and Jackson the Billy have been running the fence line playing chase with the neighbor dogs. Lilly is staying in the barn with Boogie.

Baked a German chocolate cake yesterday and had some of it today. We didn’t open the Shop today as roads are all icy. Redstone Arsenal is closed and all schools, many stores (some with reduced hours) and tonight is to be 2 degrees with WC -15. So we won’t open tomorrow either. Thursday is supposed to be in the 40s but freezing rain early and late.

We don’t need to go anywhere and have plenty of everything so I guess we’ll just hang out and rest. Stay safe everyone!

• Iris L.

Lorita, are you able to keep your ankle elevated?

• Mint

🥶 this morning. Hope it it’s killing off the white flies and tics.

• ronald71111

Still cold and road ice refroze since it all didn't evaporate yesterday from the sunshine. Conditions improving today and a rainy week next week.

Lou's regular sitter lives to far away to help today. I was finally able to get a church member to come where I can make my pulmonary function test and see the pulmonologist later. It's nice to have a wonderful church family. Road conditions are supposed to improve today, so I'll just take it slow going and should be good this afternoon coming home.

Louisiana weather; freezing this week and rainy next week. Go figure!

Ron

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,354
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Our storm didn't bring a huge amount of snow, but it ended with a period of freezing rain that left a glaze of ice and an Arctic blast of the coldest temps I've seen a couple years.

DS dug us out with the snowblower so I could go to mom's and dig her out. It's like the circle of life. Her HOA does provide snow removal for more than 3" of snow and weren't going to address this because it was about 2", but I suspect the board went in a different direction given the dangerous icy conditions and a forecast with highs below freezing for the next week. I'd gotten part of her driveway done when the crew showed up. While I was there I ran to the store for her and ordered some cat food and litter from Amazon. Better to let them haul the heavy stuff to the house when I can. Mom's birds (and squirrels) are pretty persnickety about their seed which means a run to the feed store for their proprietary premium blend. It's good stuff-- my best friend drives almost an hour every 2 weeks to buy 100# for her feeders plus sunflower seeds and suet cakes.

It's still cold and icy today. I'm headed into Philadelphia to get my hair cut and maybe a couple foils to blend in the white. We have a high of 23F forecasted and gusty winds which will be very unpleasant whipping up between the buildings downtown. And the trains are delayed which will make things interesting.

HB

• Lorita

Morning, Cold again but supposed to be above freezng. Not too much. Iris. at least not very high. When I sit down I do put my feet up on the footstool. Today they feed and will cut ice so maybe I can do better. How high should if be?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more