Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (195)

Comments

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Marie, I am so sorry about Smokey. It's very hard!

Harshed Buzz, the Repels All info says to reapply every 3 weeks and that it will last through a rain, I think, if I am recalling correctly. I have used it for several years and have never had anything eaten that I sprayed. Also, I use Milorganite. It's granular. I spread it around the perimeters of my beds. I admit I am pretty sporadic about the Milorganite applications but it does add another layer of protection.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks, Iris. Nearest one is 30 miles away. Nothing is close out here. WM might have it. Is that the kind you have to measure a certain amount to use?

I've watched my morning news shows so think I might take a nap. Sarah called st 3 a.m., then didn't talk and I lost a Couple hours sleep, wondering what was going on. Talked to Todd a while ago. He had mentioned a skilled NH to her so that set off things.

Very cool here this morning, still is but sunny. I plan to take the GPs and myself for a 20-30 minute walk each day. Will do all of us good. Back later

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm so sorry, Marie! You gave Smokey a good long life.

Iris

• Iris L.

Lorita, I checked my tube of diclofenac and it says it is not for use on other parts of the body. Here are photos.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 21

Death of a town is the end result of Walmart stores. I will not set foot in one! Try your local pharmacy.

Iris…thanks for checking the paper for news of Jo. Wiish we would hear from her.

• Lorita

Thank you, Iris. That may be what some doctor gave Charles. I read about it and threw it away. I have two or three different analgesic creams plus Lidocaine. I just got up from a short nap and it didn't hurt until I was up. Seems like massaging helps. I remember that helped before.

I agree, Judith, our town used to have two grocery stores when WM moved in. One sold out years ago. The other changed owners a couple of times, then went out. I shopped there and there was never many people in it. We have a Dollar General and Dollar Tree and WM and that's it. The other nearest grocery is 30 miles away, three different directions.I don't go in but do pick up and have things shipped. Their parking lot is always filled.

Marie, I know how it hurts to let one of pets go to sleep. We always remember them and the happiness they gave us. Learning about the Rainbow Bridge helped me. I have lots of them waiting for me. Smokey is there, well and playing, waiting for you.

Girls care coming out of the barn. I called Mike Friday to tell him they were going in so he could get the big calves. He didn't have anyone to help him this weekend. He had seven or eight surgeries to do that day after closing the clinic. He's stretched too far. Darwin called over an hour ago saying he was going to go get some kindling one and a half miles north of his house. He just cannot sit and do nothing but he did take a nap. He should be back soon.

I'm waiting to take our walk until the girls drift off - they're curious and it scares Sheena.

• Lorita
    edited April 21

I'm back. Girls were out in front of the house grazing so we went into the NE pasture behind the barn to walk. The GPs had to stop and inspect every cow pile so didn't get too far. One of the girls saw us and pretty be soon all of them were around us. We have two with long horns (not Texas Longhorns) but Brangus with pretty black and tan horns. One got behind us and made a loud noise. So, we got out of there. They are so curious which is good to keep coyotes away.

I'll have to get them used to the GPs being out in the pasture. I had them.on long leashes attached to a thing I bought from QVC. Spent a lot of time untangling their leashes so will go back to the shorter ones.

As we got home Darwin called to say he was starting home. Said he had to get limbs out of the creek so took longer. Said he had half a PU bed full. Going home and put the PU in the barn and rest. Gray Lady is still in the carport. I counted at least 15 calves he needs to move.

Still have to go down and open the main gate, feed GL a little and close the gate to the driveway.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Marie, I’m so sorry about your dear Smokey😢🙏❤️

• Iris L.

Lorita, I saw a device at PET Express which was like a gait belt for large dogs, 50-90 lbs. But I know you have no business trying to half-lift a 50-90 lb dog, so I didn't even take a photo.

Simon had a bad day today, his back leg was shaking and trembling, I had to hold it still. He seems to favor that leg, it seems weak but not painful. I'm going to keep an eye on him.

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Thanks for information Beth

• JeriLynn66

Good Morning Everyone. The moon is so bright this morning I thought I had left the front porch light on! We covered all the plants and the veggie garden beds with sheets last night. It was supposed to get close to freezing so didn't want to take a chance on losing anything. It's 41 right now. So there will be laundry to do today… lol I'm ready for the weather to cooperate so we can dig in the dirt.

I'm struggling a little with not having a schedule like you do when you work. March was busy with all the closing activities with the Shop. April, not as much. But I have a large dry erase white board attached to the wall. At the Shop I used it to keep up with complicated vehicles and what was happening. At home I have divided the board into 4 categories: Urgent, Important, Nice to Have and Maintenance. DH says this week the fencing is top of the list. We'll see.

Well, AnnaBelle the dog and Oliver the cat are up. Time to tend to them. Back later. Have a good day😉

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

As promised: Crazy tea hats.

Good morning. It's laundry day. I am musing about whether or not to get an X-ray of my elbow. It's still terribly sore if I rest it on something and there's something "moving" that isn't present on my right arm. On one hand I suspect a chipped bone, on the other what would they do with that information? Plus, I have an HVAC guy coming today and should be here for that.

@Jerilynn being retired means not having so much structure. That's supposed to be a good thing and you're supposed to lean into it.

Iris I have a friend (the one who was referred for colectomy last week) who is in a study looking at Voltaren for arthritis in the hands as we speak. She's going to be comparing Voltaren (blind) with a CBD cream— 6 weeks of each. She thinks she's on Voltaren currently and feels like it's working.

Marie I am so sorry about the passing of your dear Smokey. It's always a sad day.

HB

• Lorita

Morning, we have some patchy fog, mostly.over ponds. It's 42 hete.but some places were in low 30s.Storm chances for the rest if the week.. Do hope we have rain. It's getting dry here,, already in moderate drought.

HB,the hats are really cute. Love the picture of you and your mom. Did you injure your elbow somehow? Msybe give it a few days and don't lean on it

.JeriLynn,I found that after I retired, we worked harder than when emp!oyed. It was a different kind of work but still things had to.be done. You'll adjust after a while. HB is right saying there's less structure.

Iris,I hope Simon feels better today.I hate it when one of the cats or GPs feel bad. Both of the GPs weigh in the 80s so no way can I lift them. Stormy can get in the car not as easy as he could get in the Mercury but Sheena will have nothing of it, however she would get in the Mercury. It was wider between front and back seat and lower to the ground. Seems they don't make that kind of car anymore

Fifty-three years ago today Charles and I got married. Hard t believe it's been that long and sometimes it seems like a month ago. I think that was the first Earth Day. I do remember it rained that evening.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

@harshedbuzz You ladies look fantastic! I love how you have butterflies on your headband and on your dress. Your mom's dress is pretty too. Family of fashionistas! Hope your elbow pain resolves. Best to get it checked out.

@JeriLynn66 HB is right; retirement is about less structure and more fun (and relaxing). You have the pool, you have animals to play with, you mentioned getting a horse to ride and there is always travel. Do you enjoy reading? I do a lot of that. You can be as busy as you like in retirement. The key is ENJOY IT! And, remember, life can change in an instant so don't put off the things you want to do.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

HB, Two beautiful ladies dressed up and ready for a party. Beth is right about enjoying retirement because life can change in a instant. When I retired Lou and I enjoyed little over one year before she broke her hip and early dementia started. Little by little retirement became more of a chore instead of enjoyment, but we did have fun for a little while.

Ron

• Iris L.
    edited April 22

I'm up. Ron, LOL!

JeriLynn, I write out a weekly To Do list every Sunday evening, and note which day to do what. In the morning I do my morning chores, then my afternoon should be free for outside activities. Of course, I am flexible if I have to make a change or if I sleep poorly.

HB, you ladies are truly color-coordinated fashionistas! You looked so nice! You could have a chipped bone fragment, or it could be bursitis. Is it swollen? I know you will be able to check it out. Your friend sounds like she is in a good clinical trial. I didn't know CBD was topical. I got good pain relief on my knee with Voltaren (brand name) gel. I'm glad she's getting relief.

Lorita, what a great date for a wedding, even though it rained. Simon's leg seems better today at least he isn't trembling. I think it's cachexia, he is very thin. The vet told me to give him a low protein diet due to his kidney disease but I think he needs more protein. I'm going to give him more protein. I also massaged him and gave him physical therapy. He still is alert, he eats well and goes to the litter box, his time is not up yet. The other day he ate some French fries.

Beth, you're right, we mustn't put off doing what we want to do, for a time will come even we can't do. I'm going to the senior center this afternoon for a classic movie, The Band Wagon with Fred Astaire.

Iris.

I just found out that a woman was stabbed to death at the metro station that I was at just at ten days ago, when I went to Universal City Walk. We were at that same station! This is beyond disturbing! The metro is free today in commemoration of Earth Day.

Iris

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Iris L. I swung by the orthopedic walk-in clinic this morning for an X-ray and consult. It's run by the ortho group that did my TKR. No fracture. They're thinking bruised bone and hematoma along the bone. Having been on Synthroid since 1970, I worry about bone strength. My DEXAs are fine, so far, but I did need a bone graft ahead of an implant surgery which I wasn't anticipating.

I hear you on the gun violence. I get my hair cut in Philadelphia and it pains me to read about shootings on the platforms in nice and well-traveled parts of the city where local are working, visiting the big hospitals and tourists are seeing the historical stuff. Even 5 years ago, I would walk in the underground concourses to avoid weather— not anymore.

I'm glad your Simon has so devoted a person looking after him.

• Lorita

Hi, Ron, where in the world did you find all of those funny, cow cartoons?

Judith, where are you today? Hope all is well.

This morning after Toad fed I saw one of the girls heading for the barn. I figured she had a new baby she had left there so went to check. No baby, she was just getting her spot in the barn for the day. Met another one coming in to get her spot. They're funny.

It was a nice day for a wedding, Iris. I made st least two trips taking things to our duplex during the day, then back that late evening with my parents.

Decided I'd fill the car with gas. Still had a quarter tank. Got Stormy in and we went. It only held 11 gallons which meant 24 mpg. Haven't driven much this yesr. Stormy seems to have trouble getting in. Think I may have found the place Sheena can get in. It's a sort of bank so backed up to it and I think she can if she will. Maybe a step stool for Stormy. All three of us miss the Grand Marquis. If I find one nearby may think about changing to a Charger. Seems to be some 2023 new ones. I could kick myself for not getting the one I drove. Just could not get him down where I wanted. We'll see how it goes. There were two other silver cars up there again.

Iris, it seems to have gotten to the point that you're not too safe anywhere you go now. Sad state if affairs.

Darwin cut a lot mire wood this morning. He said his Hack berry trees are dying or just falling over. He has heard there is some kind of disease in them. Drove by a Grove of trees this morning and there's a lot of dead ones there. He has a lot of big ones to take care of but said he was going to wait until he recovers from surgery.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 22

sorry…here

Pull the front passenger seat up as far as it will go. That may give the dogs room to get in.

Just ordered my Caladiums 20% off

• Lorita

I'll try that. You ordered from Florida Boys? What colors this year? I still haven' t planted my WM ones which are mixed colors. I think the ground is still too cold and would like to have rain first. Also for the butterfly milkweed.

Just had a conversation with my farm insurance people. Talked with the agent first and today with a rep from the company. Same result. My premium went up $700 from last year. Of course, they have a reason for everything. Have to have it so... And, the only fences insured are those 250 feet from the dwelling. !ots of good that will do.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Iris, I hope that with your tender care Simon continues to do ok. I know how worrisome it is when our fur babies are not feeling well.

• Iris L.

It was a knife, not a gun. Someone my brother knew in NY got into a fistfight on the subway platform over a dropped cellphone, he was thrown onto the tracks and was killed by an oncoming train. The mayor of Los Angeles, Karen Bass, her home was broken into while she was home. Fortunately, she has security. The rest of us are sitting ducks!

The movie at the Senior Center wasn't today, but next Monday. So driving around I came upon a used bookstore that I never knew existed, I bought twelve books! Then I went to PetSmart and found some cat food specifically for older cats that is low in phosphorus, which is what he needs for his kidney disease. I wish the vet could have told me about this food. Simon didn't like the prescription Science Diet kidney canned or dry food. Here are some photos.

• Lorita

Iris, glad you found some food for Simon that will Be better for him. Hope he continues to improve. I know you're giving him lots of TLC.

Awful things happen,- just watching the news is bad enough.. I would be scared to death to.live in town. But, you never know what will happen anywhere. Just be careful.

• Iris L.

Morning, we have some patchy fog, mostly.over ponds. It's 42 hete.but some places were in low 30s.Storm chances for the rest if the week..

Lorita, I'm going to be in your state in a couple of weeks. Can you do something to raise the temperature? Brrr! Southern Californians aren't used to those temps! 😄

Iris

• ronald71111

Morning.

• JeriLynn66

Good Morning.

Supposed to be sunny and high 70's today. Got dill and basil and a couple little coleus plants for the backyard flower bed. Have to get 2 butterfly bushes in the ground today. I'm going to put them on the side fencerow. I have crepe myrtles spaced along the back fence. Looking for some roses to plant. DH has grown some beautiful knock out roses up at Huntland. Maybe some of those on the southern side of the house. ??? Decisions…

We spent half the day in town yesterday with errands. Quick stop in to see FIL and deliver dark chocolate. One of his hearing aids isn't working so I have to get that to the VA. Washed all the sheets we used to cover plants and put all the plants in single pots back in place. Planted a few more peppers. DH did some work in the barn but I stayed inside and Made hamburger steak with gravy and onions last night. Mashed potatoes, tomatoes and cantaloupe. I forgot there was fresh broccoli in the fridge so I guess I'll serve that tonight with the ribs I par-baked yesterday. Making my To-Do list for today. @harshedbuzz This "Leaning In" business is hard work. LOL

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

• ronald71111

Lorita, I've saved these cow cartoons to my phone off of facebook. You can find several cow sites!

Ron

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning, no rain until Wednesday going today to my weekly balance class to help to not fall which I seem to do about once a month.Wife calls 911 and most time I wind up in the ER.

• Lorita

Morning, I slept until 8 this morning. Now I feel groggy. It's sunny and windy.

Iris, by the time you get to Oklahoma it will be pretty warm. April tempsb fluctuate but usually by May our temps are on the way up. It can go way below zero,wind chills, in the winter to 120 temps, not heat jindex, in the summer with high humidity. Western Okla. Is hotter but has lower humidity. There's lots of lakes so that makes a difference. We're five minutes from a huge lake and we have four ponds on the farm so there's high humidity always.

Ron, your cow cartoon fits me this morning.

Darwin just called. He's going into town for groceries, medicine and a hair cut. Should be gone 2-3 hours. Seems like no matter what I have to do in town it takes two hours. Back later.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more