Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (196)

Comments

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning everyone

I was able to get quite a few plants out yesterday. Planted a few more seeds. Today on radar looks like we are in for rain all day maybe. Maybe i will find opportunity to get out between a few raindrops and check on stuff, especially my seeds. My sisters bought me a real nice planter when I came home from the hospital last year. So I kept it and I got soil in it yesterday so even possibly I could bring it into the edge of the garage and plant it if it is raining. Noticed the tomato plants that I planted out earlier are starting to look nice. I started the Brandywine tomato from seeds.. they came up really nicely and are growing a little bit I can tell. They don’t produce a lot of tomatoes, but they have such wonderful flavor. I may try to transfer some of them into other grow bags so that I can get a few more good tasting tomatoes.

Seems to be so many ants this year. So I bought some terro ant killer for outside and I’m trying to be vigilant about looking for hills and sprinkling them. It seems to work well pretty quickly..

My weekends usually are pretty vanilla. Saturday is a day I never have mom and so that’s usually just kind of a workday for me. Then on Sunday I always have mom. But this weekend is going to be different. Tomorrow if nothing happens, I have a graduation party to go to. Then on Sunday I have a bridal shower to go to which is an hour from here in the afternoon. In a way I’m looking forward to it but I also will miss my quiet weekend. I will try to enjoy it because sometimes even though I enjoy the quiet weekends in general , I wish I had something to do.

My new neighbors have three children. They seem to play out a lot in the evenings. I love hearing their voices and them playing. My neighborhood has always been rather quiet, which is good in a way, but at the same time, sometimes I long to see or hear someone. They were playing baseball last night. The night before that after I went to bed, I heard them outside playing. A couple of the new neighbors have babies and toddlers so there might start being more noise in my neighborhood. With my sister stayed with me a few weeks last year she mentioned to me how quiet my neighborhood was and that you never see anything going on.

Take care everyone

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning. I tossed and turned all night for some reason. Storms beginning here today and the barn swallows are out early foraging. I love to watch them swoop and dive. I think we have babies out there too. The Blue Heron came for a visit yesterday at the front pond. He/she? is beautiful.

Today is our 5 family 3day yard sale. I have packed up the remainder of my evening gowns and cocktail dresses and lots of shoes. Sitting here typing and about to cry. Isn't that silly? It just seems like everything that used to be a part of my life is going away. I know that isn't true. But DH just left to go up to Huntland for the sale and I'm going to take a minute to just have myself a little pity party.

Then I'll get up and get to town to finalize arrangements for DFIL to move next week. So much to do.

On a happier note, one of the things Great grand and I did was to plant some seeds for her to take home in a planter. She loves to dig in the dirt and walk the garden looking to see if there's anything new sprouting. She picks the strawberries to feed to the chickens "cause they like red stuff to eat". lol

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

here…

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,309
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, very foggy here this morning so guess they had to drive in the fog maybe not so dense earlier. My side is a little better but decided I think it's probably diverticulitis. Had it years ago and it seems the same. My doctor only works until noon on Friday so not sure I can get in to see him. If it is diverticulitus I'm afraid to let it go but do hate taking Flagyl.

• Lorita

Hi, called my doctor at 9:15 and got an appt. at 10:45. He was busy , busy as always on Friday but glad I went. It is diverticulitis but a lot better today. Got Cipro and Flagyl. Don't remember taking Cairo last time. Didn't get my grocery pickup. By the time I decided to go all the morning slots were taken. I may go tomorrow and let Stormy go with me. He was so excited when I got home. Good to have someone welcome you home.

Darwin had his surgery at 5:30 this morning. His daughter said it took about two hours. He's doing fine.They had to leave home at 3:30. He is in recovery room waiting for a room. Called and left a message for Mike.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi everyone, this time next week wife and I are going to Maine for Memorial Day Weekend. This will be the first time since my diagnosis that we will be going away I hope that I will not act to much

• ronald71111

Lorita, glad you were able to get some relief with the difiticulisis.

Lou ate a little more today, so maybe eventually she will get stronger. A big problem I'm having how is I've gotten to old and feeble to move her to clean. Aid comes twice a week, but that doesn't help when she has a bm and no one around but me. I've tried to move her on my own several times, just can't do it. Later I going to just try and get a wet wash rag under her and wipe, but that will leave it wet. Don't want her to stay dirty, but just at lost right now.

Ron

Ron

• Lorita
    edited May 17

David, sounds like a nice trip. Hope the weather is good and you have lots of fun. I'm sure you'll be fine. In which State do you do live?

I started thinking about the Cipro so checked with the Pharmacist to see if is related to Clindamycin. Had a bad reaction to it a year or so ago. It isn't but is in the same family as Levoquin which I can't take.

Evidently I had diverticulitis in 2019 and was only given Flagyl from urgent care so I'll only take that.. I think I had diverticulitis before 2015 so will check my journals. Pain is much less today. As I think back I remember I did get two scripts from urgent care and the pharmacist would only fill one. I bet that was the same time and they caught it that time.

• Lorita

Ron, now would be a good time for Lou to wear depends, probably the ones with tabs. Also use that pads underneath her. You might try the rinse free Scrubbezz. Just a few drops on one and it works up into a lather. Still some moisture though. How about rolling Lou onto her side to clean? Would that work?

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments

Ron, when I had hospice for my DH they came 6 days a week. I wasn’t able to change him due to back issues. You could ask if they could help more often.

Lorita, I hope you feel better soon. Glad you were able to see your doctor.

To all the other rockers, I read every day and included all in my prayers.

Sandy

• jfkoc

Ron,,, you need wet wipes and depends. Also some shaving cream. Hospice will supply all but the shaving cream which was recommended here for poop clean up. Tell Hospice everything you need help with. They almost always have a solution.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm here.

Lorita, I hope the Flagyl helps.

Mint, my bedroom is off of a major avenue, but I rarely hear any noise, it's like being in the country.

Iris

• David1946
    edited May 17

I live outside of Boston in Salem the Witch City which goes crazy in October for Halloween and we do not go downtown in October we leave it for the teenagers and the tourists.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Father in Law has passed away this afternoon. It is sad but also a relief for both he and I. The last 2 days were miserable for him and he was ready to go home ❤️

• ronald71111

Hospice has supplied everything I need, my problem is I've became a 90 pound weakling at 210 pounds. Can't roll her on her side, can't lift her shoulders up, can't hold her head up, nearly holding myself up. Will see if hospice can provide more aid and put the word out to church. Just hate to see her staying on a dirty pad any length of time. Thinking about a disposable towel and trying to reach my hand under her bottom.

Ron

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@JeriLynn66 I am sorry for your loss. he was fortunate to have such a devoted and effective advocate by his side.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

David— lucky you going to Maine next weekend. Will you be coastal or up in the mountains? I have relatives in both. My aunt used to live in Salem on Carlton Street not far from the ferry— it's a great place to live anytime but October.

Lorita— I hope you are soon on the mend. I was delighted to hear Darwin did well with his surgery.

Ron— Can hospice show you a way that you might be able to clean Lou up more easily? Or perhaps training you on using a hoist? Be sure to be using a good barrier cream as feces can compromise skin quickly and lead to breakdown and infections.

I took mom out to pick out a hanging basket for her yard today. After I'd paid, she decided she needed to buy 3 rustic chairs for her kitchen. She is such a happy spender. Ugh. The dudes they sent to put them in my car had zero spatial reasoning which meant I had to do it while they mansplained how I wasn't going to get them in there. Silly boys.

HB

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, hope you feel better soon.

Mint, the lupines might bloom for a month or so. If deadheaded, they can grow some small flowers.

• Mint

JeriLynn I’m very sorry for your loss. I like watching the barn swallows also. Don’t see him where I live now, but we saw them when we lived on the farm.

Ron I don’t know if this will help you or not or if I can even explain it so you can understand but I’m going to try. I am a smaller person and I could roll a pretty big patient by myself with this method. Say you want to roll the person to the right side. Then I would make sure that the right leg was just laying down straight. I would take the right arm, and I would just move it over to a position where I knew when I rolled them, they would not be laying on it. Then I took their left arm and laid it a crossed their body sort of you know around the lower chest upper abdomen area. Then I would take their left leg and bend it up at the knee and rotate it toward the right, and have my other hand behind their left shoulder and they always flip over pretty easy that way without too much effort that worked really well for me. This will only work though if the patient is cooperative with you if they fight you or won’t leave their limbs where you put them it’s not going to work.

If you need to change the bed and she’s in it you can roll her over just as I described, then loosen the sheets all of them and tuck them up underneath her back as best as you can as long as she’ll be cooperative and stay over for you. Then take your clean sheets and start putting them on that side and just leave them lay there, then you would go over to the other side of the bed and roll her over the other way over that big lump using the same technique and then you can pull out the dirty sheets and then you can pull the clean sheets through and finish making the bed.

I know no easy method for moving someone up in the bed. The way that worked easiest for me can only be done with a hospital bed so I don’t have any solution for that at home. To me, it would take two people.

I’m trying to explain all this in case it will help you a little. I am very concerned for you and Lou.

• jfkoc

Jeri…sending my sympathy along with a big hug and some Tonic.

Thanks for letting us know.

• David1946

WE are going to Poland Spring Resort. My wife went there with her late husband for nearly 20 years. We have been married 6 years and have been there 3 times. If we do not go there we would go to my timeshare Steele Hill Resort in Laconia But I gave it to my kids last year it got to be to much for us because there are a lot of stairs which me and my late did not mind we were in our twenties but I am almost 80 and my current wife is 83.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello Front Porchers.

JeriLynn, Iam so sorry your FIL passed away but as you said he is in a better place. He was ready and so were you. You took very good care of him. I understand your pity party. I have been getting rid of so much stuff, it's all stuff I did not and do not need. I started getting rid of my old cloths today, a big load for Goodwill. So far, no pity part for me as of yet. You need to take a few deep breaths and get some rest.

Ron, I agree it's time for the depends, with the tape on the sides. You need all the help you can get. You need to really take care of yourself as well.

Lorita, Iam glad you're feeling better, you also need to take care of yourself and get some rest. Your probably like me, you worry about everything and everybody. That why I take a sleeping pill and night. As sometimes a glass of Chardonay. 🍸️ I did not see the Wagon Train that had Art Linkletter on it. If so, I did not recognize him. Was his name in the credits or did you just know who it was?

Take care all, Hugs Zetta

• Lorita

JeriLynn so sorry for your loss. You advocated for him and I'm sure you were glad to do it.

Zetta, I first thought I recognized him but couldn't come up with a name for a long time. Didn't see his name anywhere.

I'm feeling okay with not much pain until I get up from a chair or sit down -guess it's the bending from the waist and compressing that area.

Supposed to be almost 90 tomorrow. We've had three or four showers the last two hours. Cows are bawling and have gone to the barn. Must be coming out now - it's their grazing time.

You know I think of clothes I used to have and wondered what happened to them. Back then most of us made our own clothes. The material I liked to sew was double knit. It was easy to sew, had pretty designs in the material and no ironing! Remember the men's leisure suits? I really liked those, also double knit.

Weather is telling about more severe weather next Tuesday night and Wednesday with temps in the 90s and high humidity.

I bet I saw a dozen Chevy Equinox cars in town today. Must be a popular car. Lots of Sterling Gray ones.

I'm so glad the surgery is over for Darwin and now the recovery period.

If I don't get back, have a good rest tonight.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

JeriLynn, My condolences on the loss of your FIL. You were a wonderful advocate and helper for him.

• Lorita

Guess who just called- Darwin! He sounded great. He has been up walking three times. One of his daughters is with him and will stay the night. Says she has been waiting on him hand and foot.

He thinks maybe he can come home tomorrow. I told him I wou!d let all of you know and he thanked you all for the good wishes and prayers. Isn't that great news!!!

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Dear JeriLynn, I am so sorry for your loss. May you find peace and rest.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

JeriLynn, please accept my condolences in the loss of your dear father-in-law. You were so good go him in his last days.

Iris

• Mint

Good morning everyone

Lorita thank you for letting us know about Darwin. Indeed, it was great news.

• ronald71111

Morning!

JeriLynn, I am sorry for your loss of FIL.

Ron

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney