Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (196)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Zetta, sounds like there's good interest in your house. I bet it is disruptive to have to leave for it to be shown. Goid luck on the sale.

Mint, my helmet doesn't have a strap but fits closely on my head from things inside, guess it's like a construction helmet.

I took another nap! Makes two naps today and it was nuice. It's hot and humid - D. Went out and called a little later. Didn't realize it was so hot and thought he was in better shape. It can not be so hot but the humidity slips up on you and you're too hot before you know it.

Will probably have to have UT taken out. Not many leaves on but thisbyear. Really n hate to do ut. Caro, our favorite tennis player was Federer so I kind of list interest after he retired. Also liked the bjg, dark haired Australian can't remember his name name but bet Barbara knows. Dread going into town tomorrow morning but will. Might need more medicine but doubt it. Only have LLQ pain some in the mirning. Some pain over hip at waistline. Will pick up groceries at WM- it's on my way out of town.

Rain predicted the next four days. Hope that won't include storms. Damage from the tornadoes in Claremore and Pryor was great. Uprooted huge trees. Scares me about the big elm. Will probably have to have it taken out and I hate to. I saw some leaves on one of the Royal Empress trees about 20 ft. Up!

Time for World news.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

How sweet were Lou's last words!

I'm in Northern California. We flew to Sacramento, now are going by bus up Route 5 to Ashland OR. We stopped at the Olive Pit, a store that sells everything about olive oil. I had a blood orange olive oil milk shake. Then we drove over Lake Shasta and past Mt Shasta, which is really a volcano, last erupted 200 years ago. It is the tallest in the continental US, 14,179 feet. We passed Weed, CA, named for Abner Weed, was originally a lumber town.

The weather is warm, about 80 degrees.

Iris

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Sounds like a great trip Iris, enjoy and safe travels! Great pics xo

• Lorita

Ron, how wonderful that you have the memory and sound of Lou's voice telling you she lived you. You'll relive that moment over and over. I'm glad your sons will be with you and that you have a goid Church home. Rely on them and remember we're here anytime you need us.

Iris sounds like a wonderful trip. Such beautiful scenery. Living in Oklahoma I can't imagine seeing those beautiful snow capped mountains. What we call mountains are really hills except in SE Okla. Mostly rolling hills and flat land here, but beautiful all the same. Doctor's appointment in the morning and WM pickup- dread going and hope it isn't raining.

I've been thinking about eggs and how they are formed and then the shell around them. Have you all ever seen or held a soft shelled egg?

On that note I will say good night. See you tomorrow. Rest well.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh Ron, sure sweet sweet words. Your love story continues.

I'm signing off for the evening. We've had 2 storms blow through. Lots of rain and unfortunately hail. We'll be needing a new roof after this storm, ugh. It's so darned expensive, but I'm not going to complain - I have a house and feel blessed about that. So many others have nothing from tornado's.

Be safe my porch friends.

eagle

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Ron, Those are beautiful words. We are here for you. Hugs to you and your family.

Iris, I have been to all those places. When I drive to Sacramento, to visit my family we always stop at The Olive Pit, for lunch. When I drive to Sacramento I go through Mt Shasta and Dan was born in Weed, Calif. Those pictures are beautiful.

Lorita, What is in as egg with a soft shell? Iam glad you're going to the doctor, tomorrow it seems like you have been hurting for longer than you normally do.

Eagle, Stay safe from those storms. You have been in my prayers.

No showings today, I was so glad I needed a rest day. I have one tomorrow, this is not fun.

Good night and Hugs to all, Zetta

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning everyone

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Today Lou will celebrates her first heavenly birthday! Happy Birthday Lou, May 28, 1938 - May 26, 2024.

Ron

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Heavenly Birthday Lou! Ron, these "firsts" are so hard. You are in my prayers. May you find comfort that Lou is with the Heavenly Father. ❤️

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Youngest son told me last night that he remembered one time asking Lou if she had ever heard Vince Gills song; When I call your name. He said that he found it on his phone, started playing it and she started singing all of it word for word. I've never really listened to it, but looked it up, played it and started crying. Beautiful song!

Ron

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning everyone.

• Lorita

Morning, I'm up and kind of at 'em. Just fed Gray i Lady. Side hurts some so will see what my doctor says.

Happy Birthday, Lou. Ron, remember all those wonderful.birthdays you two had together. Now is the time to relive the memories.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ron, hugs to you. When you feel able, look up/listen to "Go Rest High on that mountain" by Vince Gill or "If Heaven wasn't so far away" by Justin Moore. Tears are cleansing. Please rest and eat well. Take care of yourself in this difficult times,

Eagle, I am so sorry about your roof! Hopefully insurance will do you right on replacement. Seems like every day we see on the news or the morning shows we see reports of more storms.

Lorita, hope you are feeling better.

Zetta, sounds like a lot of interest in your home. Moving is stressful but the end result will be good.

Beth

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning. Quite the storms last night. I've not called the insurance agent yet, but I have no doubt we'll be getting a new roof. We also had several power surges and it fried the thermostat. So no air conditioning! Thankfully with the continued rain its cool outside. I have a call in to our AC company. An expensive storm for sure. But that's what saving accounts are for I guess. Not fun but very practical. And we have a house, much more than others. Many in our area still have no power from last night. I'm teaching a class this morning via Zoom, let's hope our power stays on. Or maybe not!

Be safe out there.

• Iris L.

I'm up.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 28

Ron…Dick's ashes are with me…in his flight bag… in our bedroom.

I was so traumatized that I I would not have them brought to me for over 2 months. Please bend with the grief. Let it take its' course. It is stronger than you are and will work it way. Let it. So do what you need to do then come on out to the porch and "sit a spell".

• Lorita

Ron, listen to Judith. Her words are very wise and so true. It takes time but deep down the grief is always there. You have wonderful memories of the time you and Lou had together. Those memories will always be there for you to relive.

Back from the doctor and town. Two hours like always, it seems. Dr.says all is okay, thankful for that. Picked up my groceries and made it home. I really like my car and it does well in mud. Someone south of here had been working on the road and had it messed up and there were a couple of areas where water was over the road. Stormy was so happy when I got home. Got things wiped down and put away. Now for a nap, later..

• Mint

I have never held a soft, shelled egg Lorita.

Eagle I hope things work out that you get your roof fixed quickly and your air conditioning back on. The spring reminds me of back in like the mid 70s. We had a lot of storms here back then. And then we really kind of had a quiet time for a period of time, but not this year.

take care, everyone

• Lorita

Hi, had that nap and now I'm hungry.Never satisfied.

No reason you all have never seen a soft shelled egg unless you have raised chickens. They don't happen very often. It's a perfect outer shell thatis translucent and soft. The reason is that the outer, hard shell never fully developed because of lack of a hardening agent. You have to feed chickens oyster shell for them to eat to have a gardening agent for the shells to develop the hard shell. I think chickens not fed this may eat tiny rocks or gravel. I can remember watching my grandma cut up chickens. The gizzard, I guess it was -she called it the craw, would sometimes be filled with tiny gravel. Really a strange feeling to hold one of the soft shelled eggs. You can actually see the egg yolk through the soft shell and can move it around.

• JeriLynn66

I feed oyster shell to my girls🐓

• Lorita
    edited May 29

Did you all know they make chocolate peanut butter cheerios? How good would those be with a banana cut up in them?

Good night, sleep tight, don't let the BBB. See you in the morning. Hope the night is storm free.

• Mint

Good morning

Hoping each ine had a good night. Looks like we’ve had a half an inch of rain overnight, but I don’t believe we had any storms. Rain is good. Looks like it’s gonna turn a bit cooler for a couple of days. Saying we might possibly get quite a bit of rain today.

today is housecleaning day at moms.

take care, everyone

• Iris L.

I'm up!

• Lorita

I'm up, too. Cloudy morning with a chance of rain later.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

up….

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good afternoon.

The story of Lou's last words is a beautiful thing. Continued hugs for you and your family Ron. Be gentle with yourself. You have had a tremendous loss for which there is no official rule book with a timeline for finding your feet.

Lorita— I am glad the doctor was able to reassure you that all is OK. That must be a relief. I've been wondering if Sarah saw her new PCP yet. I do hope she has.

Mint— Good luck with your cleaning today. I am humbled by your energy. I can barely keep my own home in order much less clean mom's. In fact, I delegated all-things-mom to her driver today. I don't need to be a part of her hair appointment. She and her driver went to the coffee shop for a while, and it looks as if they're at the library now. That's all good stuff— tomorrow is mammography (which I side-eye) and the contrast MRI to look for clues to her recent lack of focus and memory issues.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hit a parked car at Target yesterday which is a first for me. Grrr. I felt so badly for the poor woman whose car I hit— she doesn't need this at all. It was especially awful because the manager wouldn't page her, and she didn't come back to her car for almost an hour with only a single plastic tote.

I've already gotten an estimate on my end— the car goes in on June 4. The receptionist from the repair shop recognized me from the repair back in January when DS backed my car into a car in the cul de sac. It's pretty humiliating to be a frequent flyer at the body shop.

I was texting my niece who was on a train from Lucerne to Basel. Turns out her younger sister (the one who may or may not own the cats mom said she'd spay if you read the niggling things thread) needs another surgery and has septicemia. That probably explains why she's not answering her phone. An hour later, niece texted that her train hit a person and was stopped for an investigation. They told her to expect to get to Basel 3 hours late.

Chili is on simmer for tonight and laundry awaits.
    HB

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Judith, thanks for the article. I've seen one snake this year, and one last year. There were a couple of years where there were many snakes in my yard/garden. I really don't like snakes at all!

Has anyone seen the 17 year cicadas yet? I have not. We saw them 17 years ago; and we have "regular" cicadas every summer. They "sing."

• JeriLynn66

HB, you've been on my mind today as well as Ron. Enjoy your chili and have a big fat Cab or Merlot to wash it down. Or Pinot Noir, I like that too. 😚

Beth, when we were up in Scottsboro last week you could hardly hear yourself think for the cicadas. They were everywhere. Not so much here because I don't have many trees right next to my house.

Mint, hope the housecleaning went well.

Ron, continued prayers for you and your family.

Lorita, glad you are on the mend. Eagle, hope your insurance adjuster is very kind to you. You and Beth have been thru it with the weather this Spring.

Judith, I have ALL the wrong mulch, wrong depth, and too much stuff for the snakes to hide in. I've only seen one thus far this spring. But when you are surrounded by 40 acres of pasture and row crops, two ponds here and one across the road: you'll see some snakes. I can tell the venomous ones from the safe ones, but heck while you're squealing and running …. I don't get out of the Rhino down by the back pond. Much too snaky back there. 😯🐍

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more