Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (192)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

The past two days I cared for mom and we had good days for which I’m thankful.

Company wears me out even if I enjoy it. Sleep apnea causes you to be tired, causes some people to be excessively tired. You would need to check with your pharmacist or doctor but know some depression meds take awhile to get their full effect. In my experience I noticed my dad doing better before he could tell.

Lorita I get the majority of my vaccines at Walmarts. I have never had a problem, I walk in and get it. Of course I live 5 minutes away so no big deal if they don’t but have never had that experience so far.

i put my weed and feed down today so think I have all my fall chores done.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I think not birthing the cows and just raising for sale would be easier. How does Mike get the babies to OKC? Bet my grandson would be glad to help with that.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Judith, he has big semi cattle trucks. He has a nephew, some other relative and Toad that transports them. They probably are double deckers but not sure. Calving season is stressful for sure, especially with heifers but the end result is good. I could sit and watch the babies play for an hour. We just checked everyone - so pretty scattered over the green pastures.

Sara, glad your two days taking care of your mom were pretty good. Makes it easier for both of you. You may get some bad weather tonight and tomorrow so be careful. Glad your yard work is done.

You know it's going to be so hard to sell this place - such pretty pastures, trees and ponds. So many big hack berry trees that provide such good shade for the girls in the summer. So many cattle trails that are just the right width for bicycle riding. Did hours of that when I was growing up. But I know he will care for it. I receive requests to buy from land companies all the time - two this week. So many landowners are leasing their land to companies to put in solar panels which ruins the land for anything. There's a huge electric line about a mile and half north of us and the power from the panels can be sold to it. That will never happen to this place while I'm here or him either. Lots of grow houses a few miles north of here, too. Things have changed so much from when I was growing up. Not progress in my opinion. Enough of that. Not ready to sell.

• Lorita

Mike and Sidney came to trim Sheena's nails. Didn't take 15 minutes and now she'll feel so much better. They're going to be really busy all weekend so this was the only time. So glad that's done.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sayra, you must be strong to jump back into caregiving. I hope you are feeling well!

Iris

• Lorita

Morning,

It's chilly but sunny. There's a cloud bank in the northeast so that will probably hamper viewing of the eclipse. That's okay because I wasn't planning on looking at it anyway.

Drove down and closed the main gate so the girls can graze in the driveway. Saw all the heifers on the way down and back. Three of our girls are already in the driveway.

Took Sheena for her walk when we got back but Stormy rode. Glad the nail trimming is done. Sidney did a good job - no clucking when Sheena walks. I need to do a little more on Stormy.

Hope all of you are well this morning. Joan, hope your back is continuing to improve each day. Day, haven't heard from you in a while hope all is well. Ron, hang in there. I bet you'll try the cpap one day and it will be fine. I imagine it is probably hard to get used to sleeping with something on your face but you'll get it.

Enjoy the day.

• Lorita

The eclipse is beginning to take effect. It's beginning to look eerie outside. Just imagine what primitive people used to think when there was an eclipse - the end of the world. It's almost like dusk but not there yet. I remember a total eclipse years ago when it got almost dark.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

It’s cloudy, misting, rain, and a gray day here. That’s good. My newly seeded grass could use rain.

Has been a busy day for me so far. I don’t do any exercising on Saturday, so I clean house the first thing when I get up. Then it was gravy and biscuit day for my nephew. He was a little bit late getting off work today. Anyway, then I made chicken noodle soup from scratch and I baked a pie type of cobbler in my cast-iron pie pan that I inherited from mom.

Cobblers in my childhood were not cake like as a lot of the recipes you see today, they were more piecrust-based. I like both types but I miss the kind I had when I was young. Used my frozen peaches, frozen blackberries and frozen blueberries. I laid one crust in the bottom of the pie pan and then I put my filling in, which I had a little too much of and I thought I did so the next time I’ll watch for that. Then I just took the sides and folded over the top of the filling leaving a hole in the middle. It turned out pretty good other than the juice overflowed around the crust a bit because I kind of had too much juice. It tastes fine, that just made that area where it did that a little hard to get out of the pan.

Iris I feel like I have made a complete recovery. I was able to completely clean up my yard this fall by myself. When I got home from the hospital, it took everything I had in me to plant two petunia plants.

• Lorita
    edited October 2023

Sara, the cobblers we had when I was growing up were the two pie crust type; a crust on the bottom, then filling and a crust on top. That quick cobbler I make is the cake kind- batter on bottom and fruit and juice on top. The batter rises to the top when baked. That sounds good but I'm trying to lose some weight so I'll forego it for now.

Just checked to see if the cows are reacting to the eclipse. Strange how quiet and still it us outside. Everything seems normal - Rusty is having his peanuts and sunflower seeds.. I've heard during total eclipses birds go to roost. I don't see as many birds lately but yesterday when I went to the mailbox there were hundreds of small blackbirds, on the ground, fences and flying around. I think wind turbine have something to do with it. I think the grasshoppers are mostly gone. Yesterday there was a great big one stuck on the inside door of the PU- getting away from the cold, I guess.

Sara, your cobbler sounds delicious. Nothing better than a cast iron skillet, is there? So glad you're back to normal and feeling well.

I'll be glad when Bryon can get my yard de-limbed. I won't have him cut the grass so it can go to seed. I have a lot of day puppies about six inches tall but it's too late for blooms this year. I had one bloom before the drought got tgem. Glad I proofread, it said a lot of puppies instead of lillies!.

• Lorita

Judith, none of those sound like what my family made and called it a cobbler. But, all sound really good. Guess areas and families cook and bake differently.

• Lorita

Have any of you all ever cooked rice in the microwave? Sounds easy. I'm in the midst of doing laundry. Stripped the bed and am washing mattress pad, sheets, quilt and serapes I cover the furniture with. Takes a while. I think we're coming out of the eclipse- looks brighter outside. Anxious to see pictures of it tonight on the news.

• jfkoc

What kind of rice are you cooking? I usually cook long grain.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

The eclipse was very cool. It was odd the house slowly getting darker just before noon. We went outside to watch / experience it. We had a piece of paper with a hole punched in it and another for the image to be seen on. I held up my camera in the direction of the sun with my eyes closed and took some pictures. DH knew not to look directly at the sun - frankly it was so blazing bright then not - I don't see how anyone could look directly at it. Anyway we both were fascinated watching it on the paper until DH got tired of it. Then he was staring at the ground and called me over to "see." The eclipse shining through the tree leaves was making amazing shadows on the ground. I took several pictures.

I can't believe we are finally in the 70's here. It feels so amazing from the beastly summer heat we had. I've got to work with the puppy some and I'll check back in on my porch friends later on.

• jfkoc

We had amazing shadows too and took pics. Weird darkness inside the house.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Cobblers I grew up with was crust on the bottom and crust on the top. We always use to have either cake or cobbler with a scope of ice cream for dessert.

Speaking of cooking rice in the microwave reminded me Lou use to have a little white bowl that was a microwave rice cooker. I need to see if I can find it!

Still problems with cpap and I'm sure I'm using it right. The mask has head and side straps which is one problem. Another is how I feel after trying to use it. I am taking my anxiety/depression medicine!!

Caught up on all my washing today and now to pooped to pop (any of you heard that saying growing up). Believe I'll just fix Lou a quick corn dog and chips, I'm really not hungry.

Ron

• jfkoc

Ron...Dick had sleep apnea. I thought the "gear" would not be a problem for him since he had been a fighter pilot. He absolutely could not stand it.

Any way you can use the pillow gear??? Have you reduced the pressure any?

• Lorita

Ron,"too popped to pop" has always been a saying here. I still say it. Could you maybe remove some of the straps so you wouldn't feel so closed in?

It was weird for if to be darker at noon without it being cloudy. Maybe you all could post a picture?

Judith I also use long grain rice. I have some jasmine and basmati but never have cooked it. I got hungry so made some really quick soup - two pkgs. of Ramen cooked til done to my liking, then added a can of condensed soup and cooked it til it thickened some. I like my noodles really tender. Also added one packet of seasoning. Makes a lot. Charles and I used to cook that when we were in a hurry.

Dryer just went off so better go. Ron, I bet we have a lot of the same sayings. Ever say "yonder". Charles used to tease me about tbat also add an " r" in the word wash.

• Iris L.

I forgot all about the eclipse.

Iris

• Lorita

I'm sure there will be lots if pictures of it on the news, Iris. I didn't see it either just how dark it got. How Is Simon today?.

• ronald71111
    edited October 2023

Lorita, how about: just a hoot and holler, over younder, as the crows fly, you'll come back now heer, close the door before you let the flies in, old nosy rosy, older than the hills and I'm sure many more I can't think of now.

Had to come back, just remembered another one I'm sure is Lorita's favorite. (When the cows come home.)

Ron

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited October 2023

How very odd we did not even see a tidge of the eclipse. Everything was still as bright as could be. If there was any eclipse to be seen where we are at ; must have been in the skinniest edge as nothing changed.

Joan; dear husband had overdone it SO much that he had to cancel his P.T. appt. yesterday as his back was quite uncomfortable and felt weak. Could not believe what he did.

We had our carpeting cleaned in the large family room which really needed it. Well; he MOVED the furniture before the guy came to clean! Two large sofas, a heavy cocktail table, a large easy chair and his recliner as well as three end tables . . . WHAT????? Then he put it all back again later unbeknownst to me. He is lucky he did not cause damage to the fixation devices in the spine. I was pretty shocked (understatement) that he had done that. So; he is on his second day of rest. Had to take several Advil yesterday. Worriesome. Just glad he did not try to move the antique oak sideboard or the large entertainment center which stayed put along with a long narrow two tiered table against one other wall. Geeze.

When he has not done things like that, he still takes it easy to rest his back some of the time. He will do something and then sit down for a bit and then up and do more of what he wanted. He can go longer and further now than he could a few weeks ago. His big happy time was that he went to Target to get something last week. Forgot his back brace, but actually walked through the store getting what he wanted for his cart and then back to the car doing very well with no discomfort - he was VERY delighted. Then the furniture moving . . . . where he found out he is NOT superman. He is going on his fifteenth week; each week stronger than the last. He has only three P.T. sessions left. So; do not feel that you are not doing well by your back feeling weak or getting tired and sitting often, that appears to be par for the course. It will be about a year until all feels much as it used to be.

Very warm weather here; going to get some Santa Ana winds in a few; we do not really get much of that here as does a few miles away in Orange County. That does warm up temperatures though.

Judith; how are you feeling now since the, "big fall?" Hope everything has smoothed out for you. I think that we can fib and say you did not trip and fall; the floor looked sad and you just wanted to give it a kiss! Well; can't think of anything else. How is the investment house re-do construction coming along? Will it be ready for sale soon? Wish we could see some photos; bet it is very nice.

Iris, glad Simon seems to be faring a bit better; that must be comforting. I know how much you love him and how well you care for him.

Sayra; it is good to hear that things are doing reasonably decent in caring for your mom on your "on days." Not easy and in all probability, never now what to expect; she is blessed beyond counting for the care of such dear daughters. You are an amazing person, Sayra; still want to be a lot like you when I grow up!

I'm now looking for some nice winter tops. Old fashioned me; nothing to dry flat or that needs ironing. I already have stuff to "dry flat" and it is certainly annoying. I would like some tops and perhaps some sweaters. Cotton/poly a favorite and yes; I am plebian - I like acrylic for casual sweaters - throw em in the washer and drier and they do well. Lots and lots of nylon, spandex and rayon, etc. for sale out there today - too bad for me doggone it.

We are thinking a tiny bit about possibly adding a large bedroom/bath to the first floor at the back of the house. All bedrooms and full baths are upstairs. Only a powder room downstairs next to the laundry room. We will think on it because we are aging and it would be helpful or else having to move which we do not really want to do if we do not have to. Love our home; watched it being built from the ground up, and so many, many joyful memories inside of it all these years.

Had to laugh; bought a Powerball ticket just for the fun of it. Nada. Was fun thinking what we could do for family and charity - one person in a tiny town in Calif. won ALL the billion plus dollars . . . I cannot imagine. What an unreal experience that must be. Seriously would need some tranquilizer!

So, kids coming to visit as said before; good for us. We did so, so, so much traveling all over the U.S. and international; glad we did when we were fleet of foot and traveling was ever so much easier and more pleasant than it currently is. We decided we are pretty much done with that now.

Deeply affected by the disturbing news this week; truly and deeply. Difficult beyond words. I try to watch BBC news where they share updates but do not go on and on and on; yet, I must now be wary of how much. My friend said she had to take some refuge in Waltons and Golden Girls; and you would have to know her to know how unlike her those programs are - she just said her mind was so over-run and appalled she needed to "change her brain wave pattern" to keep her equilibrium. I understand. Prayer being sent up.

Ron; glad you had family visiting, that was good but must have been a bit tiring. Seems to me the place that provides you with your C-Pap equipment should be more helpful with you re the challenges you are dealing with. My brother told his wife, "Don't think of me as being a C-Pap weirdo; instead, think of me as an astronaut!" Well; he tried.

Time for dinner to be got ready - what else - chicken!

Peace and care,

J.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

I had forgotten all about the eclipse, never noticed a change in the outside lighting, we have had a lot of clouds lately so I probably could have not seen it anyway.

My grandmother used to make different kinds of yummy cobblers and she used Bisquick with the fruit. Lots of whip cream.

I also remember, too pooped to pop, and Lorita, I also put R in wash. warrsh.

Iam changing my mind about spending 2 months in Arizona. I really don't want to be gone from home that long, I would miss my cats way too much. I enjoy my job and the additional money I earn. So, if I can get them to change my hours so I will not have to be driving in the winter snow after dark. I might just do that and fly there for 2 weeks.

I have been keeping pretty busy around the house I had a pet sitting job for a few days now Iam home getting caught up on my rest so I can go to work on Monday.

Hugs Zetta

• Iris L.

Jo C, I thought you were the one who had won the lottery! My mistake! LOL!

Judith, thanks for the yummy descriptions of the desserts, my mouth is watering already. But like Lorita, I'm trying to lose weight. I lost a lot of weight on a vegetarian diet, but now I can't stand to look at vegetables.

Simon seems to be stabilized. I took his favorite bed from a bench and put it on the floor for him, but he doesn't seem to recognize it.

Zetta, I have a pet-sitting question. I usually had taken my cats to a pet hotel that requires current rabies and other vaccinations, also flea medication. I think Simon is too frail to get so many medications into his body, because he has kidney disease and heart disease. I am trying to locate a place to take him for three days when I go for a trip in December. Do you think there might be a pet place that will accept him without the vaccinations and flea medicine?

Ron, how about, "if the creek don't rise".

Iris

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Iris.

Just ask the pet hotel, in his condition Iam sure they will keep him by himself away from all other pets anyway. If not, you can probably find a pet sitter who does not require all that. I go into people's homes, and I don't require any of that. Ask your vet if they do boarding, that would be a good place to leave him, especially with him not being well. I wish I was close enough to take care of Simon for you. Hugs Zetta

• ronald71111

I'm so tired of everything happening all over the world. I wish we could have a world wide front porch where people from everywhere could sit like we do; share experiences, recipes, love for each other and just talk without arguing and fighting. I Love each and every one of you!

Walk in shower instalation starts tommorow and will be finished by Tuesday. Yeah!

How about.....if you feel froggy just jump! I will keep adding them as I think of them.

Iris, the way we said it was the way our louisiana governor Jimmy Davis said it; "If the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise". Jimmy Davis went around the state singing on his campaign trail.

Ron

• Lorita

Hi,

When mother didn't feel well, she would say she felt like last year's bird nest with a hole punched in it. I still say that. Our friend, Leanne, would say she felt like she had been pulled through a barbed wire fence backwards. If you're familiar with barbed wire you would know that would hurt. I have scars to prove it.

Cloudy here this morning and cool. Just had a brief light shower.

Ron, I just watched parts of the morning news shows. All the same. War and discontent all over the world. It would be nice if everyone could get along like our front porch rockers.

Hope the shower installation goes like it should. It will be so nice for you all.

Rob, what you are going through with Lou reminds me of Darwin. He called yesterday and we had a nice visit. He had been out cutting wood- a tree had fallen in the pasture so he took care o1q1f it. He said the day before had been terrible. His wife loves cats and she believed one was gone and was trying to find it. He tried to convince her all were there but it just got worse. His daughter is a doctor so called her for suggestions on what to do. She told him, as we all have learned, to go along with her. He did and he said it was like day and nuight. She calmed down and they hunted for the cat together. It just takes time to learn what to do and everything does not work for everyone and every time. He's 84 and caregiving is hard for him. He was a lot of help for me with Charles when he'd take off. Brought him home a couple of times.

Take care everyone..

• jfkoc

" miss Nancy day"

"kat-a-wam-pus"

It is chilly...57 degrees but I still opened the door to get some fresh air.

Today I will clean off desk, island and go through two boxes. I finished The Fall of the HOuse of Usher last night and will start Lupin tonight.

Since it is all viral, I will buy chairs for the porch for the world. What I find truly sad is that man has always killed man. Usually for land, in the name of religion or for "freedom". We need not forget what we did to native Americans or the war of 1776.

Good news about Simon.

BTW...I made Stanley Tucci's soup. The recipe made a lot so 1/2 will get frozen.

We are still overeating watermelon but soon it will be apple crips time.

Lorita...no Sarah news? How is Leanne?

Zeeta...I know how you feel about home. 2 weeks might be enough.

Later

• Iris L.

What is Stanley Tucci's soup?

Ron, you will love your walk-in shower!

Even though Simon can't see very much, he managed to get passed two barriers that I had put in place to keep him from going down the stairs or into the other bedroom. I have to figure out better barriers for him that won't restrict the other cats.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney