Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (192)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Your car is beautiful, Shirley. Thanks for posting the picture. Yours is a Chrysler S. - Think the S is for sport. Did you get a regular size spare? Our Mercury had one of those little ones so we got another full sized wheel and tire. Looks like if would be easy riding. The dial gear shift doesn't bother you? Do the back seats fold down to make more room? I love that carv-don't b think the GPs would have any trouble getting in. Sure hope they have some in stock! Does the motor stop when you stop the car atva stoplight and then restart? Sorry for all the questions.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Lorita.

Covid at the facility, is not really as bad as I made it sound. Alls, it takes is a few residents in the facility to get it then protection goes in place for all the other residents. By testing us they are protecting the residents from what we the employees might bring in. Have a Good Night, Zetta

• Lorita

You, too, Zetta. Sleep well.

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My car is a V6 rear wheel drive. The back seat lets down and it will open all the way to the trunk area. No spare, It comes with a air pump, so if you get a flat you can put air in to get you to a service station.

Rides great with the big tires that come it. I put a blanket on my seats when I carry my poodle with me. Yes it is a Chrysler sport. I like the alarms that keep you from bumping into anything. Great rear camera for backing up, you can sync your phone with the radio and answer phone by a button. Or tell it to call someone in your contacts.

• Lorita

Really like the idea that the back seats fold down. Odd to me about the ?spare but I saw that in the video and didn't know what it meant. So the trunk opens up and the space can go through to the back of the front seats? Plenty of room for the Pyrenees. I always cover the seats, too. Even put a folded rug down in the Gator so toenails won't cut seats. V6 is plenty of power for this little, old lady and I don't need to go too fast. Lots to think about. Thank you, Shirley. How is Bill doing?

• VetEly

Bill is Going to VA on 12/5 for heart test. Very tired all the time and he is having heart flutters. Can only walk in house, very unsteady on his feet. I have a scooter for him to ride on and a wheel chair to fold up in truck of car.

• Lorita

Hope the heart test cones out good, Shirley. Sounds like you're taking good care of him, as you always have. Please let us know how it goes. You know since your son is a mechanic and he thought this was a good car for mother means it must be a good one.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I watched The Golden Bachelor tonight. I'll try reading the posts tomorrow.

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Barbara a beautiful setting.

Nice car Shirley, how nice to have mechanic in family.

Lorita hope you find a car that is just right for you.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning everyone on Lorita's front porch! Rainy day in Louisiana and cooler than yesterday. Dementia dies not get any easier for caregiver duties, does it?

Here is a picture from my advanced training prior to departing to Vietnam. I returned and met the love of my life, who I will love and watch over till my dieing day. On today please remember those that have sacrificed for others.

Ron

• Lorita
    edited November 2023

Ron, what a handsome young man, then and now. I can see why Lou fell for you. Tomorrow is a day to remember those who fought to keep our freedoms, then and now. Charles had three tours of duty from theb age of 16. They found out he was 16 and discharged him two months before he became 17. He went back in at 17 and spent most of his time in Korea during the war. Wish my camera worked so I could post a picture of him in Korea.

Sara, how dud things go with your mother yesterday? Hope it went well. Do they still have things at the farmer's market you go to?

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Thank you for your service Ron. Vietnam was a tough duty I am sure, but in the end you got the prize...your loving and lovely wife.

Follows is a picture of my Dad who was just 18 and 3 months when he was inducted into the Army...he served in Germany during World War II.

He will always be my hero.

• VetEly

Thank you, we will just have to see what they decided to do, since he has live cancer he cannot have surgery.

My son did a diagnostics on the car before I bought it. he brought his scan tool and checked everything on the car. He said it is rare to find a rear wheel drive now.

Shirley

• Lorita
    edited November 2023

Love your dad's picture, Marie. I know you're so proud of him.

Shirley, very good picture of Bill. He was a very young hero in Vietnam, wasn't he? You're so proud of him, too.

Shirley, have you had any trouble with your car shifting roughly or noise in the motor?. Seems those things are about the only problems they've had. Very cool here this morning but sunny. There's a slight north breeze enough to make the flag fly nicely. Didn't go down to see girls this morning. They were down by the road when he came to feed so he saw them.. They were around the hayring when I went to the mailbox except for three babies still down in the meadow. Will check thus evening.

** It was and did pretty well in gravel/dirt roads and in mud

• ronald71111

Shirley, hard to believe, but it was 58 years ago last August when I had boots on the ground in Vietnam. Young man of 18 that had no knowledge of war and what I was there fighting for. I was sent, I served and was lucky enough to come back home.

Marie, your dad and others like him were true heroes! Tommorow I hope everyone takes time to reflect on the sacrifices others gave.

Ron

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I am a Vietnam War Era veteran although I was not stationed overseas. Tomorrow, if I feel up to it, I will go to our local Veterans day Commemoration.

Iris

• Lorita

Thank all of you for your service. You all are the reason we're free and able to do as we please. I worked with veterans for over 33 years at our VA Hospital where I met Charles so I've always have a great respect for all veterans.

• VetEly
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dick was in Vietnam/Laos for 7+ years.

• Lorita

Seems like many of us have dealt with either being veterans or married to them and then the aftermath .of it. Then, with dementia. We've had to be tough.

Sandy, don't read this!! Went out to check the heifers and found one of them surrounded by buzzards. She had her calf sometime this afternoon- hadn't even been able to clean it up. Guess it was born dead. She was still protecting it from the buzzards. I knew I had to move it and luckily there was a strap in the gator so put it around it's legs and the other end to the Gator. Pulled it the shortest way out of the pasture with baby's mom following. Three cows came with her and stayed with her while I took it up in another pasture. She bawled/cried all the time she fillowed. When I came back she was still at the gate. I talked to her while I was getting it ready. I hate this. It's so sad and hard for the mother. It has to be done but it's so hard for me or anyone. The other heifers were grieving with and for her. They are a family. Sad night here for all of us.

• ronald71111

Lorita, this old war veteran that thought he was tough as nails started crying while reading your story. I don't care what some people think, animals have feelings!

Ron

• Lorita

Thanks for understanding, , Ron. Hate to lay things like this on you all but want to let people who aren't around large animals know that they do have feelings and grieve just as we do. I see it every day from losing a baby or another one of their family-and their grief.. When I'm out with them I stop and talk with them and when I reach out my hand to them, they reach out and touch it. It's so rewarding to be with them but sometimes so sad I can hardly stand it..Charles was the same way. I think anyone who is around them every day is. I always try to locate the mom the next day and talk with her. Maybe it helps them. It helps me in some way.

• Lorita

Morning, looks like it's going to be a beautiful Veterans Day for all the parades and events. Tulsa had their parade yesterday. Lots of places offering free breakfasts for veterans. Nice thing to do.

Just got back in from checking things. Everyone is okay. Took a long time to find Gray Lady but did and she's fine. Didn't specifically see #42, the little cow from yesterday, but they were all together.

Hope all of you are well today. Happy Veterans Day to everyone.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Glad all was OK this morning Lorita.

Was is a cold 32° this morning . I didn’t have to be responsible for mom today so I got to stay in the house all day. I kept myself busy and it’s been a nice day.

Thanking of each and everyone

• Lorita

Glad you got to stay inside, out of the cold, Sara. It's been in the 69s here. I've noticed some more of our trees are turning especially some on the pond dam.

Not a good day here on the farm, tomorrow will be better, hopefully. Did find out that WM won't deliver here - too far away, I guess.

• jfkoc

Beautiful Fall day here. Lorita is less than 2 hours away from me but our weather seems to be very different.

Attic has been emptied but now there are boxes every where that I must go through. We will finish tomorrow.

Only took 7 hours so far,,,time for a sandwhich and Netflix.

• jfkoc

• Lorita

Judith, why are you emptying your attic? I don't have an attic but do have a storage building that's full. I pity whoever has to go through it. There are storage boxes of clothes we used to wear so should be donated. I'm going to call a couple of those places and see if they pick up things. Otherwise I'll just put a few things in plastic bags to take in. Clothing is heavy.

It was cloudy off and on here today but was a pretty day.Looks like the next week will be nu. Did get in touch with the electrician we used to use. He'll come out this week to see about getting electricity to the barn. It's so much better with the security light out there and inside lights if we need them.

Sleep well tonight.

• jfkoc
    edited November 2023

I a cleaning because I do not want someone to have to do it when I am dead. Old clothes? I cleaned closets this past summer. No boxes of old clothes. A few things I took to Goodwill but out of date stff i Just put in trash. No one is going to want them. AND...I would not want to go through a storage shed. Heaven only knows what you will find besides snakes hibernating rotting mice and rat urine/poop.

I suggest not going through boxes unless you are going to make a quilt...lol

You can donate and get a tax deduction but not a very large one.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more