Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (191)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,766
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita...we need to stay inside. Period. Why are you keeping your house at 60 degrees??? Do you have a fan to circulate the cool air?

Please get Hospice on board. Sarah needs the help of the social worker, pastor etc and so does Todd.

Family dinner tonight cancelled. Fringe benefit I cleaned up...lol

Time to get the soaker hose out for two trees that are important to me. Time to water the yard too I guess. I need to do some deep watering.

Jo/Iris...we are all watching the weather where you are. It looks like the storm will be some back from the coastline so that may help you.

I am not going to volunteer going to Baptist but I feel certain there are in house chaplins/pastors/ Rabbis who make rounds. They are commonly assigned to an area not by religion. Lorita, you might look into this.

Please tell Sarah we are all holding her in our pockets over our hearts.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

Another hot day in Louisiana.....just like Texas, you need a oven mit to open the door.

I'm still praying for Sarah! Speaking of pain pump reminded me of my grandmother one time after surgery. She kept pressing the button and a cousin told her it didn't help to press the button, that she just had some. She told him; I know hon I just want to make sure I get it when its time.

I also haven't seen any current weather, besides our front porch friends, one daughter in laws mother lives in San Diego.

I also checked the covid test I have and couldn't find a expiration date. I did find a date but assumed it was manufactured date.

Ron

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Prayers for Sarah for some peace and relief from her pain. Lorita, I’m glad you are staying cool in your house. Try not to worry, you don’t need to get sick from the stress.

Jo. I sure hope you and Bill don’t come down with Covid. That’s the last thing you need, along with the worry of the storms there. Iris, I hope you’re staying safe too.

Day, I’m thinking of you preparing for surgery. I pray we both are successful with our recoveries and getting back to our normal lives.

It’s 87 here today, so a warmer day for sure. I’m thankful I have air conditioning on days like today.

Have a nice afternoon and evening. Joan

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,318
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi, I saw the weather a while ago and it was 105 with heat index of 117 and it'll be that hot all week - maybe by next weekend we'll get back down to the 90s. The GPs go outside for a little while and when they come in their hair is really warm/hot. Judith, it's 68 in the LR today - I have a ceiling fan and another fan in this room. It doesn't feel that cool until I go outside and come back inside.

The girls have drifted off to try to graze a bit. I guess it's hot everywhere in the middle of the Country - I'm ready for fall.

Judith, I would't want you to get out in the heat to go to Baptist - it would be too much for you. I did talk with the nurse again and asked her about a Chaplain. She says she'll request that one visit Sarah each day - also asked, Jo, about a bedside counselor. She'll also request that. Sarah needs someone to talk with. The nurse did say she had just walked by Sarah's room and she was asleep so that's good - maybe she got to rest a bit. The nurse today is really sweet. Sarah has liked all of them except the one and maybe she was just hurting too much and something that was said hit her the wrong way.

I should go out and check on the baby tonight but don't think I will. From now on it'll be a little bit cooler - they said 94 at 9 p.m. - even 94 sounds cool compared to 105.

Thank you, Joan, Ron and Judith for the good wishes and prayers for Sarah. They do help. She always tells me to thank all of you.

Ron, I bet a person could fry an egg on the sidewalk today - we don't have such a thing out here so can't test it.

Just heard California had a 5.+ earthquake - they said they didn't think it was connected to the hurricane but who knows. Still wondering about Zetta.

When I worked for the VA we had a Chaplain who saw every patient the day after admission. Had no idea you had to request it in private hospitals but glad she'll see one.

Will get up early in the morning and check on the baby. Hopefully there will a breeze tomorrow - none today and that made it worse. Thanks again for listening.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This "horrific" hurricane turned out to be a nice spring rain--at least, where I live. It was no worse than what we had a few short months ago. I dont know how the mountains and deserts fared, I have not heard of any landslides or water rescues yet. But we did have a 5.1 EARTHQUAKE about 40 or 50 miles away. I didn't even feel it. If it's not one thing, it's another. The weather keeps us on our toes!

I have a Civid story. My cousin in in a rehab hospital after knee surgery. Her two nieces and nephew who advocated for her, were at a birthday dinner and someone tasted positive for Covid. So now the three of them have to isolate and will be unable to advocate for her. One niece is a recent kindey transplant recipient, so is immunocompromised. I heard on the news that the incidence of Covid is rising a bit. It's still with us. Jo C, I hope you and DH will not be caught!

Iris

• Iris L.

Lorita and other gardeners, I had a bad experience with an ear of fresh corn. I had it in my refrigerator on the shelf, not in the vegetable bin. It was still covered by the leaves. When I went to roast it today, the kernels were all shriveled up! I ran it under the faucet to try to rehydrate the kernels, but that didn't work. I still roasted and ate the corn on the cob, but it was dry. What happened to my fresh corn cob?

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Very hot and muggy, thinking of all.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hot and muggy here too. Supposed to be over 100 the next couple of days. I got my gardening done this a.m. which consisted of weeding (I'm far from done with that task but too hot to continue), watering and picking peaches. I'm planning on making a fresh peach cobbler this afternoon. We continue to enjoy fresh vegetables: cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden, and corn and green beans that I purchased. And I REALLY love watermelon. I need to buy another one while they are still available!

Hugs to all. Stay cool. Lemonade and iced tea on the porch tonight as we watch the sunset!

• ronald71111

Oh boy what a day! Just when I thought Lou couldn't surprise me anymore, something else happens. I keep a roll of paper towels by her, seems to like to fold them real neat and cut the end off. Gives her something to occupy her! This morning I looked over there and she was rubbing one between her leg close to her butt. When over to her, looked in the trash can and it was half full of brown paper towels that use to be white. Yep......cleaned her up and still working on couch seat stain and now second washing of pants. Always something new, she has always told me she needed to go, sometimes didnt make it but always on the way to the bathroom. Life of a caregiver!

Ron

• jfkoc

Every day brings something!

Now is when you protect furniture and beds. Also a good time to have clothes she can not remove.

Do not put anything ub the dryer that still has a poop stain. Drying will set the stain.

• Lorita

Sorry about that, Ron, most of us have been there, done that. Judith's right. Buy some of those chux (you may aleady have them) or some of the washable pads from WM or Amazon. Some are long and narrow like twin beds and some have wings that fit over the edge of a twin bed. Good news - she knew what to do and what to use to do it. Always a brighter side (sometimes, I'll say) but not at the time it happens.

Fresh peaches! How good that sounds - and peach cobbler is my favorite. I like a little bit of milk or cream over mine. I'd make one (from canned peaches) if it wasn't so awfully hot - I don't want to heat up anything. Be careful when doing anything outside - it may not be as hot there but it still creeps up on you.

Iris - you roasted the corn? I've never done that - we always got water boiling and put it in and cooked it that way. Even though the shucks were still on the ear of corn, it dried out - might even have been past good when you got it. That's what happens when corn is pulled and not used right away.

Sara - it is sooo very hot here. Heat index yesterday in a town 25 miles west of us was 125 - way up in the teens here. I don't know how anyone can work in this heat.

I talked to Bryon this morning - he called to check on me since he hadn't heard from me in a while. He works outside all the time and he and his 14 year old son are always outside, going to ballgames, etc. I watch the news on channel six and he said his won was on there a couple of weeks ago with a 21 lb. catfish he had caught. I saw that but didn't realize it was Wyatt.

Laptop now says it's 101. The girls aren't in the usual shade so not sure where they are. There were lots of them in the pond before noon and several north of the house - there's really good shade in the evenings but doubt they're back there. I didn't glimpse the new baby this morning but they were scattered so hopefully she's all right. I did go out and made sure the gate to the little grazing area west of the house was open and filled the water tank in the garden - that was enough.

I've had an awful headache all day - had it most of the weekend so laid down to take a nap. When Lilly awakened me I was in the mobile home with Charles and some other man, - then a neighbor, Carl, whom I hadn't thought of in years came to do some repair work. He was checking light fixtures. What an odd dream - Carl has been gone for probably 40-50 years.

Sara, I hope you're staying inside. Are you still voluteering? Haven't heard you mention it lately or I've missed it.

Got my second notice this weekend that my cologuard rest is due again - can't believe three years have gone by. So called the doctor's office for him to order it again. I'll have to be sure to put that label on the trash can so UPS won't leave it in there.

Talked to Sarah for a while today. She's so depressed with all the things that are wrong with her and all the pain she's suffering. We talked quite a long time - maybe that helps keep her mind off things for a little while. Every time I talk with her a nurse comes in so they seem to be keeping a close watch on her which is really good. She said she slept a little bit. She says "passed out" , I guess from the pain but at least she gets a little rest which ever it is. Hope all of you are well.

Joan, one week from today and your recovery can begin and one day later for Day. Time is passing.

Iris, so glad you didn't get the awful part of that storm and that you didn't feel the earthquake. I haven't heard if it caused a lot of damage. I'll stop for now and drink my Pepsi - might help my headache.

• ronald71111

I've been using a pad on her bed for sometime now and adult diapers. Guess I now need a pad for her couch cushion. This was the first major disaster since starting with the adult diapers.

Ironically the pastor's sermon Sunday was in patience! Lord knows I try!!

I have a virtual group call tommorow from the mental health dr wanted me on. She seemed concerned about the level of aggravation and depression I was showing. Hopefully this will help.

Lou had the stain rubbed in good, but I got it off.

Ron

• jfkoc

Please have a list of everything on your plate to read off including the medical concerns and the constant frustration and the problems of the system!

• Lorita

I talked to a friend who lives 55 miles east of us and he said the grasshoppers were awful over there - great big ones. Darwin has 150 acres of soybeans about 50 miles north of here and he said he needed to call and see if they were up there, too. Forgot to ask Darwin if their cat came home.

Eagle, how hot is it down there? Heat indices around here today were from 115 to 129 in far NE Okla. too hot to get outside at all. Girls have been standing in the water most of the day. Wish I could bring them inside.

Judith, do you see any grasshoppers in OKC?

• Lorita

I just checked and it says there are 130 species of grasshoppers in Oklahoma - but only a few cause widespread problems. There was a terrible grasshopper invasion 100 years ago. Wonder if this one will be counted.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Ron; great advice from Judith; it really is necessary to write a list of all of the issues that you have been dealing with; especially the numerous significant issues at home and the effect upon you; it will be very helpful and I send best of wishes for a good appointment.

Joan; I have been thinking of you even more as your date gets closer. You will have so much restored to you and that will be more and more noticeable as you recover. You know we will all be there with you in spirit and we will be thinking of you and sending prayers on your behalf.

Well; "The Big Storm," I live about 20 minutes away from Iris. Like her, we had not much of anything happening. In our area, had a bit over 2 inches of rain, no big downpours, just ongoing rain for a little over a day and NO thunder and NO winds. No rain today at all. While many other areas had worse happen, we were very fortunate. No power outages - so glad. I did feel the 5.1 earthquake that was centered far away in Ojai though; my seating shook back and forth side to side. Awful feeling. What a dreadful time to have that happen! Earthquake scientists said the storm had nothing to do with it - coincidence. Still, not a good feeling for those who were in close proximity.

Son and DIL both with COVID: elevated temps, nausea, significant productive cough, worst headaches they every had and the worst severity of full body aches they ever had, chills, sore throats, severe fatigue, etc. Son said it was far worse than any severe flu he has ever had in his lifetime. DIL doing better than son; he is far slower in improving. He still has symptoms hanging on. Both taking Paxlovid which has helped BUT it also causes diarrhea which they had to treat; also causes nasty metallic taste in mouth, but one continues on. Productive coughing continues.

There is an excellent link done by Pfizer regarding Paxlovid and SO much to know; I recommend reading and watching it. They did a short very good video as to how to take the pills - three in am and three tabs in pm and so much more about the med. I was surprised to see some common meds on their list that cannot be taken with Paxlovid.

Turns out that 10 to 16 per cent of people who either take Paxlovid or do not get treated, will have a rebound of COVID in two to eight days after initially getting well. Cannot take Paxlovid for rebound. It is very interesting. I am going to Post the two links for folks to read. Knowledge is power and there is more to know than we may have thought. It is on the rise again. We are in self isolation for fourteen days following exposure. So hope we will be okay; if we get it, we are at high risk for becoming complexly ill. So hope we evade that. Will also begin masking once again since the COVID is on such rise again with increases of hospital admissions.

Links:

Really excellent detailed information done very well re Paxlovid, the primary COVID treatment that everyone should know:

https://www.paxlovid.com/how-to-take?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscnOvfvugAMVpgGtBh2YRA1DEAAYASADEgJJJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

AND . . . .

10% to 16% get Rebound Covid after being treated by Paxlovid, (or no tmt at all). One cannot take Paxlovid or some of the other tmts. again, here is excellent info about that:

Keep scrolling down and read entire copy:

https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/covid-19/paxlovid-rebound  

Well; time for dinner, stuffed bell peppers which I really like. Take good care and be well.

J.

• Iris L.

Jo C, thanks for the info re: Paxlovid. My brother took it, I didn't, and we both recovered at about the same time. Mt three cousins who were exposed to Covid so far are asymptomatic and no positive.

I have not heard how the recent rainfall affected our drought condition. Are our reservoirs full? Lorita, I had bought two ears of corn and I ate one immediately, the dried out one I ate about a week later. Perhaps it was already beginning to dry out, the cob was covered with the corn leaves so I never saw the kernels.

Iris

• Mint
    edited August 2023

JoC the infectious disease doctor out of NYC who I have listened to for a long time now, doesn’t like the word rebound. Here is how he explains it. He says Covid has two stages. The first week is the viral phase which is why you need to get Paxlovid in first 3-5 days. The second week is when the cytokine storm ( your immune system over reacts) can occur in some people and what people are calling rebound. This is why an antiviral not appropriate as it is not a viral issue any more and won’t help. If you run into issues with this then a steroid is the appropriate drug. Steroids are not appropriate in first week as they suppress your immune system and you do not want that to occur in first week, you need your immune system to be at its best first week. He is on the ground and has worked with Covid from the beginning. Love listening to him as he is no drama just evidence based medicine. He says we hurt some people in the beginning because we didn’t understand the disease but we have much better understanding now.

I ran into issues with cytokine storm with my septic shock and had to receive steroids.

Glad you and Iris are doing well.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Interesting, Sayra. Cytokine storm makes sense. Yet; CDC, FDA, NIH, Scripps study, and many more, all relating "rebound" of COVID . . . this needs some clarification by those dispensing the science information. Not seeing rebound patients being treated with steroid med unless in hospital . . . really needs clarification and publication of information re cytokines. Sometimes the patient can be the better informed party with their physician. Thanks for the information; I will keep it and relate it on.

By the way; what brand of really good fitting and adequate masks are you using - we have some K95, but they are feeling small of fit and are not easy to breathe in. They just do not see to fit right; second batch DH ordered that feel that way. Have seen some better seeming ones in various program presentations, but cannot find what brand. SO tired of looking and not knowing. Now best to ask folks.

Ron; SO, SO sorry about the sofa and all that is evolving. We had a guest have an accident on our carpeting. We used the special remover from the Pet store for removing stool; Natures Miracle. It removed the stain pretty well; had to use it twice to complete the process.

There are some wonderful sofa/chair covers that one can buy - we have some that cover the sofas, (we have two sofas in the family room), completely when son and DIL come with their dog who has not been trained not to get up on sofas. The cover is quilted, fits tailored, goes the entire length of the sofa and also covers the back rest cushions of the sofas; nicely fitted. Kids bought it since it was their dog; nice of them, but wish the dog who is sweet was simply trained not to get up on the furniture and use the big soft doggy bed instead.

We were in 70's yesterday but very muggy. Looks like upper 80's today with 90% humidity. Should go back to normal soon which means higher temps but lower humidity. Our reservoirs have been reported as being full, Iris. So that is good for the coming year.

September is usually our devilishly hot month; will have to see if that will be so this year as things seem to be a bit different.

We are going to have some company coming in October. Son from Oregon is coming and later, our daughter will be here. Will be lovely to see them. In June we will get grandaughter and two great grandchildren and family - that will be a fun and busy time. Too bad all the grandchildren are scattered so far out of state; used to have them every single summer and had a marvelous time. Wonderful memories made. Sure do miss them. Zoom calls are not the same. Had a phone call from two granddaughters this weekend. One is a fairly new grad with a Master's in Psychology and now with a busy practice; the other is entering college and has moved to Corvallis in Oregon to attend Oregon State University. Just yesterday they were toddlers sitting on my lap - time sure does seem to go at warp speed. Miss my cuddly little ones who are now all grown.

Frank, the miracle Roma tomato plant, is still giving out delicious, perfect tomatoes. Really prolific for a plant that came out of nowhere; DIL still feels it is the message from her father from heaven and it is comforting for her.

Well; we are on day 6 of possible exposure to COVID - time for DH to take a test; then if negative, supposed to take another in 48 hours. Test kits are overall, $24 each at most pharmacies. Yikes! How many people are going to pay that I wonder. In California, private insurance must provide free COVID tests up to eight per month UNTIL November 11, 2023; do not know if that will be extended or not. DH was riding in cab of truck with son, shoulder to shoulder for about an hour and a half two days before son began to have COVID symptoms but was in all probability already shedding the virus; son had no idea he had been exposed. So; this being 15 minutes close contact in a 24 hour period puts DH at higher risk. I was in proximity of son same day, but we were six to eight feet away from one another - still . . . . guess I should test too. Wonder if govt. will begin to make available free test kits again as the winter outbreak of COVID increases . I do NOT want to buy test kits off of Amazon; too many shady characters doing shady things and making their wares look valid. Would not want to take any chances that way with something so important.

Stuffed green peppers were good last night. Looks like chicken or fish tonight. Have some potatoes to bake before we have them too long. Been using individual serving cups of hummus (2 oz) from CostCo with carrot sticks for mid-morning snack; actually pretty good and healthy too. Got some more Golden Kiwi; delicious IF ripe. Found if not yet ripe, not tasty. The apples we bought in recent purchases seem to have a "tough" sort of skin, but yet tasty. Wonder what that is about.

Since we are at higher number pages, I notice that my typing"skips," and I may be typing one line, but suddenly it is jumped to another paragraph putting words in the wrong place. Any of you having the same experience? Also a bit difficult getting to right page sometimes as it will occasionally decide to hiccup onto a different page in the same Thread. May just be me.

Hard to believe it is already the 22nd; this month seems to have gone quickly. Hope everyone has a good day and all are able to stay cool.

J.

• Lorita

Morning, Already hot and steamy and sort of hazy. Decided I'd go see the girls on the other side of the pond - always like to check on new babies for a few days. Got the Gator out to the gate and Stormy was standing at the yard gate looking so sad. Of course, I came in, got his leash and got him in the Gator. He so enjoys riding and seeing the girls. Kept looking and couldn't see the new baby, then finally saw him laying down with two little ears sticking up. Mom was closeby grazing. All the other little ones are so curious about the Gator. We used to drive out among then and stop and in a couple of minutes we'd be surrounded by babies, checking out the, then, big "red" cow. There are grasshoppers out in the pasture but not to the extent around the house.

Having a little bit of allergic reaction to something - drippy nose and itchy hands. No idea what it might be. Probably should have worn my mask.

Thanks, Jo, for the information about the medication. I haven't stopped wearing my mask so no big change for me. I keep one in my pocket in case I might be outside and someone might drive up. I've heard on my news that there's more cases so guess it's rearing it's ugly head again.

Iris and Jo, glad you all didn't have bad weather from the hurricane - but good you were prepared just in case. I'm not so sure about no connection between the hurricane and the earthquake but what do I know?

Guess I need to make some kind of "sign" to put on the trash barrel. UPS will deliver the cologuard box this week or early next and don't want it in the trash barrel.

There's no wind this morning so it's already pretty unpleasant outside. Hope all of you are well this morning.

Talked with Sarah a couple of times yesterday - last night she told me her bed wasn't working right so that will have to be fixed. I think she's on an air mattress and I guess something has happened to the controls that raise and lower the head and foot. The nurse who took care of her in ICU came down after she got off last night to see her and that made her happy. She was really a sweet person (talked with her a couple of times).

Iris, that's what happened with your corn. Next time you get a few ears, go ahead and shuck them and wrap them tightly in waxed paper with a little butter inside. Twist the ends really well. Put in the freezer and when you're ready for one, put it in the microwave and cook it that way. Just like fresh corn. Mike brought some a while back and I cut it off and froze it to put in soups this winter (if it ever gets here). Mother has frozen it in the shucks when she didn't have time to do otherwise. She put it in a big paper sack, froze it and when we ate it, it was like fresh. We've eaten field corn, too, and it's good but not as sweet. I haven't seen a field of corn or cotton in years. The year after Charles and I got married daddy had a field of corn and we helped him pick it. You've never had a cut that hurt as bad as one from corn leaves - worse than paper cuts. When I was growing up, that's what people raised. We had corn on the left of the driveway and cotton on the right. Now this area and most others have turned into cattle country with a few soybeans.

I'll stop and finish my juice and find something for breakfast. Sara, I used that contraption I bought to help slice things - sliced one piece and it was uniform. You said you slice your bread and freeze it? I have a Lock'n'Lock bread keeper so that might work - but after two or three days it molds so freezing would be better - or the refrigerator.

Enjoy your day and try to stay cool. It's already hot here - I'm soooo ready for fall. Adrian, the tree guy, said they begin work at 6:30 and quit at noon - don't blame them at all.

• Iris L.

Sayra, thanks for the info about Covid rebound and the cytokines. I had not known that.

Jo C, I didn't know you had great-grandchildren! What a blessing! I hope your DH and you stay negative for Covid. I checked my remaining Covid test kit, it is expired. I don't plan on getting any more if they are not free. I'm glad the reservoirs are full.

I'm not having any trouble with page 32 on my smarrphone.

Lorita, thanks for the corn tip. I like to buy unchucked corn when the weather is hot and it is available. Now it's becoming less available.

Iris

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Jo, I previously bought KF94 masks from Posh; someone, maybe Sara, recommended them. I find them comfortable. Here is the link to their website. https://behealthyusa.net/collections/posh

I truly hope and pray your son and DIL feel better soon and that you and your hubby stay healthy.

Beth

• jfkoc

I am not having any problem with the site on either of my computers.

I have a box of the kind of mask they give you at the hospital.None of the Drs wear those K95/K94 masks and they are wound sick people 24/7. Why do you all here think they do not work.

It is stay inside hot. Unfortunately I had meetings this morning. Home now and am going to watch Netflix!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I'm not sure where you are in the country, but my experience is that the physicians who are masked as wearing N-95 masks. In the last month mom's PTs are bare-faced, the NP at urgent care was N-95 masked, ER docs were a mix of N-95 and barefaced, orthopedic doc, psychiatrist and dermatologist were all in N-95s.

The surgical/procedure masks are good for protecting others but not so much protecting the wearer; the N-95 (w/2 head straps) can protect the wearer as well as those around them. We see the PCP tomorrow; he and the pulmo generally wear N-95s.

HB

• ronald71111

The on line video call was more about health goals; eating and exercising. Wasnt what I was expecting, but plan on attending a few to see if I can get anything from it. If nothing else, I'll be interacting with other veterans.

Our oldest son turned 55 today. I remember that night completely. I had worked that day and Lou was having a hard time. Hours had passed and I had needed to use the restroom bad for quite some time. Finally, I couldn't wait any longer and rushed to the bathroom. I had just sit down when my mother started knocking on the door; "Ronnie, you have a son". That and the day I left the hospital with Lou and Ronnie Jr.! We drove up in my parents driveway, like a true gentleman I rushed around to open the door for Lou. I picked Ronnie up out of Lou's arm and walked away grinning from ear to ear. It's all on film, poor lou walking behind me slowly making her way. I was happy at the time but now feel bad about how I neglected Lou that day.

Ron

• Mint

JoC I have N95 3M Aura 9205+. It’s ok but I prefer KF94. I’m much more comfortable in them and I’m comfortable with the protection they provide. I have worn the N95 very little. Wore the KF through the worst of the pandemic. I was the one who suggested the website Beth linked. Aaron Collins who is known as the mask nerd on YT says they are a safe site. I have ordered off of Amazon I. Just make sure it is shipped by Amazon. I have mainly worn BOTN which is on that site. Ordered air washer brand also. Think I ordered them off of Amazon? Like them too. Think N95 and KF94 are all good just what you are the most comfortable with.

Lorita any N95 I’ve worn is hard to breathe in. I hated when I had to wear them at work. The KF94; is much easier to breathe through. I’m volunteering again 2 days a week like before. I’ve been wearing my mask there because I’m going to Kentucky Saturday and will be around a lot of 80 and 90 year olds. I do not want to carry anything in on them.

Judith you are right about that a lot of doctors etc. are wearing procedure masks. They are far from worthless when worn properly and the better seal you obtain. That being said they don’t filter as well as KF 94 or N95. It is whatever you are comfortable with. I had not worn a mask for quite awhile. Since it has been increasing If I’m in a store and it isn’t crowded I don’t wear it but if I get up there in the checkout area and it is crowded I put it on til I get outside. Mainly wear mine in crowded situations where I’m going to be there for a bit. At work I have three other volunteers with me and we chit chat a lot standing fairly close together so I’m cautiouS there because of that. When I worked RT we had to wear N95 if a patient was in isolation for influenza A or B and TB isolation. Also like the fact that they can be worn much longer before you have to dispose of them. It’s nice if you know what is going on in your area. Three weeks ago our Covid in sewer increased but has been stable past two weeks. Has not decreased yet though. I take all that in consideration when making my decisions. Doesn’t mean I make the right ones, all I can do is try.

The picture is the mysterious melon. Seems to be forming netting or rotten in laugh out loud. Think it may be a cantaloupe. Hope everyone gets a good nights rest.

• Lorita

Hi, Sara, I still have those masks I ordered a couple of years ago. I think you ordered the white ones. I haven't worm them anywhere that I remember. I wear the surgical masks and if I'm going to bbe around people very much I wear two of them. Problem with masks - if you wear a mask and glasses plus sunglasses the sunglasses fog up. Little price to pay though for safety.

The whatever it is really is beginning to look like a cantaloupe - really is forming webbing. I'm anxious to see what it is.

It's been uber hot here today. I haven't been out except to let the GPs in and out. The girls have been in and out of the pond.

Does anyone know if 1883 was on TV Sunday night? If it was, I missed it. The episode I saw week before last looked like the last one but I read they were more to come so don't know.

Lilly and Sammy just had the best time getting after "something". I was never able to see anything and tried my best - It was moving too fast for a snake so must have been a grasshopper or spider. They've quit looking now so don't know what happened to it.

Back to 1883 I saw the other day that Tim McGraw was in the show - played the part of the father of the girl who died. Her mother was played by Faith Hill - married to Tim McGraw in real life. Weatherman says it was 100 today - my laptop says 101. Heat indices is around 112-115. Don't know how much more of this people and animals can take. Just said heat index in Jay, Okla. far NE part of the State was 120+. Stay cool - looks like it's hot all the way north.

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I wish I could send some cool weather to all of you in the heat. We’ve been having showers in the evenings and that drops the temperature.

I went to my nurse training appointment today. Jo, you are right, I learned so much and she gave me additional pre op and post op information to read. I felt so prepared because you have been feeding me all the perfect information. It sure helps my mental state knowing Bill is doing so well. After struggling to walk anywhere, I’m so ready to have the surgery over and start my recovery. I’ll be somewhat relieved next week at this time. Day, I hope we both will be. Thank you for the good thoughts and prayers, everyone. I appreciate all of them.

Jo, I hope you and. Bill continue escaping the Covid virus. Glad your son and DIL are feeling better each day. Sara, that was very interesting to read about the Paxlovid and cytokines. Sounds like you’re going to enjoy some family fun in the next few months. I miss my babies too. My youngest is 16 in January. Time passed so fast.

Sara, the mystery plant is looking like a cantaloupe. We will know for sure when you pick it and cut into it. It’s been fun wondering.

I need to get a few things done before the evening is over. Have a great evening. Joan

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Well, it's been a whirlwind of activity here just trying to get things done before surgery day. I feel prepared - I've been doing my walking daily and my incentive spirometer/breathing daily so I can try to avoid pneumonia. The nurse emphasized that she doesn't want me laying in bed 24/7, I need to get up and get moving and of course I agree - I'll make sure I take my meds as needed and not try to tough it out in bed, I need to take them and be up and around during the day.

Surprisingly, there are lots of YouTube videos from people who have given their experiences, good and bad, and what they would do differently if they had to do things all over, so I'm trying to take information from those. I started my shakes today and I am cleaning my house well since this will be the last opportunity I have before. I am working the day before too (but no overtime).

Chucky is at his doctor's appointment today, needed a rabies shot with his other vaccines so he can be groomed at the end of September. I felt so bad for him. I've noticed when he goes to any place new, he starts shaking - almost like he thinks he's being given up again - of course I have no idea what his history was so maybe he was given up more than once? Otherwise, he is healthy and cute.

Ron, so sorry to hear about Littlebit. Even when they live to a ripe old age, it's heartbreaking. He was sure a cutie.

Thanks to all for the good thoughts and wishes. I probably won't be able to get back here before the big day, but I am READY for all of this and thinking positively - if things turn out differently I will deal with that when it happens. Right now, I am focusing on this being curative for me.

• Iris L.

I've been praying for healing for you, Day. Be aware that there may be a lot of internal gas post-op. That was my most disturbing problem. Otherwise, I did not have a lot of pain.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney